    T-bird setting stuff, from a W2K to a XP machine?

    thanks,
    TP

    TP, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Take a look here:

    http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.2

    These directions cover how to import profile information from a Mozilla
    mail installation into Thunderbird. However, the same procedures should
    serve for moving your profile from one machine's T'bird to another.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 31, 2003

  3. TP

    TP Guest

    Thanks Lee,
    I tried the FAQ's. My profile and layout structure came over
    but no mail or saved files. I copied a xxx.slt dir of approx.
    400 mb. The mailbox must be there but is not seen by Firebird.
    What should I try next?

    Thanks
    TP

    TP, Nov 1, 2003
  4. prefs.js has references to the slt folder. The xxxxxxxx.slt, where the
    x's are randomly generated strings of numbers and letters, must be
    adjusted in prefs.js to reflect the actual name of the slt folder.

    You say Firebird, but I am sure you mean Thunderbird. 1st, back up
    prefs.js. Then open the file in a text editor, notepad will do. Find
    any reference to the new profile's salt folder, (the find tool should
    make this easy) and replace it with the old slt file name. Find and
    Replace should do this. If it doesn't work, you can always restore your
    backup, and no harm done.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 1, 2003
  5. TP

    TP Guest

    oops, a friend just bought a firebird(auto)..I had it on my
    mind. Yes I did edit the prefs file with the new random name
    generated after default. Should I have deleted the auto
    generated name and replaced it with my old name? I thought there
    would be something like export mailbox, then import it to the
    other PC...

    Thanks again,
    Tony

    TP, Nov 1, 2003
  6. TP

    TP Guest

    Ok, I forgot to change in the prefs file the user name. On the
    new PC the user was similar to the old name....I missed it.

    Thanks

    TP, Nov 3, 2003
  7. Leonidas Jones, Nov 3, 2003
  8. TP

    Hellmark Guest

    TP's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
    Goto C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
    Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\********.slt and copy all that info to
    the profile folder on the other machine, overwriting that. (note, the
    named area thats in the stars will be different for every machine, so
    don't just copy that one folder and expect it to work)

    Hellmark, Nov 3, 2003