    the checkbox for the fancy formatting...I do see that when I compose a reply that
    the ">" chars are visible).

    - Larry Weiss

    Larry__Weiss, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Do you want to get rid of the whole bar presentation of quotes, or just
    the colors?

    Here's a page that will take you back to >> quoting:

    http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqmailnews.html#4

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Larry__Weiss

    Larry__Weiss Guest

    That helped. I now get both the vertical bars and the ">"s.

    Larry__Weiss, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Did you disable format flowed?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 26, 2005
  5. I preferred the bars, i find them easier to read, so I had never tried
    Holgers's tip. I just tried it, and I'm having the same experience you are.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Larry__Weiss

    Larry__Weiss Guest

    Yes.

    Larry__Weiss, Jan 26, 2005
  7. Larry__Weiss

    Larry__Weiss Guest

    I am actually pleased to be able to see both the bars and the ">"s

    Larry__Weiss, Jan 26, 2005
  8. I've got the answer. In your profile's chrome folder find the file
    userContent.css. If it doesn't exist, create it. Add the following to it:

    blockquote[type=cite] {
    padding-bottom: 0 ! important;
    padding-top: 0 ! important;
    padding-left: 0 ! important;
    border-left: none ! important;
    border-right: none ! important;

    The bars will go away.

    Or don't if you find you like the double quoting style.

    Holger'r help site is specific to Netscape. I remembered that the trick
    used to work in TB, but it now needs this tweak.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 26, 2005
  9. Larry__Weiss

    Larry__Weiss Guest

    Do I do the userContent.css edits in addition to the user.js edits?

    Thx! - Larry Weiss

    Larry__Weiss, Jan 26, 2005

  10. Yes!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 26, 2005
  11. Larry__Weiss

    Larry__Weiss Guest

    Doing all of that did the deed! Is it proper that there is no "}" to match that "{"
    in that first line of the addition to userContent.css ?

    - Larry Weiss

    Larry__Weiss, Jan 27, 2005
  12. Larry__Weiss

    Waltzzz Guest

    I have also successfully removed the bars - and have found that they in
    fact served a purpose I had not noticed before.

    The "long line / short line" and the "very very - no break - long line"
    quotes are all fixed and fall between the two bars. Quite nice really.
    (I think that is how it worked - not sure as I have not changed it
    back.

    Can I change the topic slightly - to the presentation of quoted txt in
    the editor?

    In plain txt email just having a > in front of a line does not make it
    quoted text. (Do I have that right?)

    I have quoted txt show up as blue in the editor, but it is a devils job
    to edit that txt! It is essential to do so, as sometimes whole
    paragraphs are quited as one long line.

    I have been fixing txt in an editor and the pasting as quote (
    sometimes works) but then even a minor change will turn txt to black -
    and the it comes back with the quotes inset by one space.

    There has to be a fix for this. I'd even learn to write code to fixt
    that!

    Waltzzz, Feb 1, 2005