    (on her PC) it shows as a default video icon, no thumbnail. We can't
    seem to find how to change that either for existing videos or future
    videos

    railcrew, Nov 27, 2010

  2. railcrew

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    I will do my best as my Windows 7 is in Spanish.
    It all depends on how the folder is set up, i.e., for documents,
    video, music, etc.
    Your wife's folder must be surely configured differently from yours.
    Open Windows Explorer (wife's PC) and go to the problematic folder.
    Click on Organize (Top menu, left), then Properties.
    The click on a tab that should be something like Personalize or
    Customize.
    Choose there your default view.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 27, 2010

  3. Icon sizes must be at least Medium for preview thumbnails to show. Small
    icon sizes will show only the generic type icon.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 27, 2010
  4. railcrew

    railcrew Guest

    Tried all that, it is the default My Videos folder and other videos
    have thumbnails, it's just the new ones downloaded from Flip Video .if
    the file itself is right clicked>properties it is MPEG-4 set to open
    with windows media player yet the Icon is a film looking thing a blue
    musical note in right half.

    railcrew, Nov 28, 2010
  5. railcrew

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Have you installed additional "codec packs" in your computer or your
    wife's?
    Have you been disabling/enabling Windows Media Foundation settings?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 28, 2010
  6. railcrew

    railcrew Guest

    No and no. It's fairly new. Apparently it thinks the MP4 videos are a
    music file (?), hence the icon with a big blue music note. There is
    iTunes, Quicktime and MediaPlayer installed (mine too yet I have
    thumbs, not big blue music notes icons) but it doesn't look like the
    iTunes icon, it has a film clip with the blue music note on top. Where
    can I check file associations? it's not in Folder Options like XP

    railcrew, Nov 28, 2010
  7. railcrew

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Locate the MP4 file.
    Press and hold the Shift key.
    Right click on the mp4 file so that the Open With menu shows up.
    Click on Open With.
    You'll see the default application there.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 28, 2010
  8. railcrew

    Helroy Guest

    My wife and I both have new Win-7 64 bit PC's. when I download a Flip
    video (on my PC) it shows as a thumbnail picture in the folder. Using
    the exact flip camera, when we download a video into my wifes folder
    (on her PC) it shows as a default video icon, no thumbnail. We can't
    seem to find how to change that either for existing videos or future
    videos

    Hi,
    In Windows7, to find all your files associations go to:
    Control Panel\Default Programs\Set Associations
    There you can change it to whatever you want if not set to the proper program.

    Helroy, Nov 28, 2010
  9. railcrew

    railcrew Guest

    Hmm, now the thumbnails are there and I didn't do anything (except
    agree to a windows update that had nothing to do with my problem)
    here's something weird though, if I double click the file in the
    folder, it plays fine in Media Player, but if I open M/P and click the
    icon (still no thumbnail in M/P Library) I get a "Media player could
    not open this file"... whats up with that?

    railcrew, Nov 29, 2010