    Dell XP machine. Please help there is some data on this drive that I would
    like to retrieve.
    Thank you, Jim

    Jim H., Jul 19, 2009

  2. If your Dell Studio 435 is brand new, the best thing to do is contact
    Dell Support. You get at least 1 year free when you buy a new computer
    and your problem is probably hardware related, not Windows Vista related.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 19, 2009

  3. Jim H.

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Assure that the port you are trying to use on the Dell Studio 435 is a USB
    port and not a firewire or combination EIDE/USB port. I believe this model
    has some suitable ports in its "media tray" at the top of the computer.

    If plugging the device into one of those causes a shutdown, a hardware
    problem on the new computer seems likely.

    Since the SanDisk works flawlessly on your Dell XP machine, perhaps you can
    use it to retrieve the data from the drive.

    Tom Ferguson

    Tom Ferguson, Jul 20, 2009