    the same subject as another thread, my thread would be put as a reply
    post to the other thread. Why is this, and how can I change this
    behaviour? Am I doing something wrong?

    Maverick, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Maverick

    ho alexandre Guest

    Threads are what in computer science people call trees.
    You have for each message, an ancestor (the message that the actual
    message replies to), and several sons (the messages in reply). There is
    a convenient way to indicate that filiation, it is the MID (Message-ID)
    and the references (that indicate all the MIDs of the parent, the parent
    of the parent, and so on). So you get a nice threading system, that
    allows you to change the subject of a message, and still have it in the
    thread (= the thread is not broken).

    Some mail & newsgroup client do not provide the "References:" field when
    they create a message, so another way of staying in the thread is to
    compare the "Subject:" field to the other messages that have already
    been received by you. That's the behavior you are experiencing on
    alt.test.test .

    Now, Mozilla does one algorithm (check the References), and if he
    doesn't find the information, he does the second algorithm. afaik there
    is no way to desactivate that second algorithm.

    *BUT* !

    You can change the way Mozilla displays threads, for instance only show
    threads that contain unread messages. That does not prevent the huge
    "Test" thread to appear huge, but it prevents you from seeing thousands
    of threads which messages have already been read by you.

    ho alexandre, Sep 22, 2003