Thread display

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, May 3, 2014.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Considering the question of whether or not changing the Subject
    line creates a new thread or not, I am trying to figure *why* someone
    would not want it to create a new thread.

    If there is a running thread on "Is the Petzval lens just a toy?", I
    would not be interested in reading the posts in that thread. I really
    don't care about the opinions that may be voiced in a thread of that
    nature. I could, in Agent, mark that thread "Ignore Thread" and Agent
    would no longer display that thread.

    However, if someone adds a post in that thread about Nikon lenses, it
    might interest me. If I've marked the thread on Petzval lenses
    "Ignore Thread", I'll miss that post. If someone then changes the
    Subject to "Nikon lenses (was Is the Petzval lens just a toy?)", I'd
    miss that post also if it is part of the Petzval thread and no new
    thread is created.

    In Agent, though, the thread with the Subject "Nikon lenses (was Is
    the Petzval lens just a toy?)" shows up as a new thread, and I will
    see it. Seems like a better thing for me.

    The person adding the Nikon aspect could have actually created a new
    thread without reference to the Petzval thread, but that's not always
    done.

    I prefer Agent's treatment.

    Tony Cooper, May 3, 2014

  2. Tony Cooper

    Sandman Guest

    I assume you mean "displayed as a new thread", rather than "create".
    Why? In most news clients, when you kill a thread, you kill the subject
    line, and not based on the References header. So you kill every post that
    has the subject line "Is the Petzval lens just a toy?".

    When or if someone changes the subject line, that subthread will not be
    killed, and be shown in your news client. This is how it works in most news
    clients, and has nothing to do with whether or not replies are yanked out
    of their position and shown as a new thread, as Agent does by default.
    That's how it works in all news clients. In that case, it will most
    certainly show up as a new thread, but that's only because you have
    killed/filtered out all the parents to it. If you haven't, it is correctly
    shown as a child to the post it is in response to.
    Of course not, since changing the subject is a *service* that the poster
    provides, by identifying that the subject of the *sub*-thread is no longer
    about the Petzval.
    But in the case of killing a thread, there is no difference.

    Here's the hierarchy, for reference:

    Petzval is a toy
    - Re: Petzval is a toy
    - Re: Petzval is a toy
    - Nikon lenses (was: Re: Petzval is a toy)
    - Re: Nikon lenses (was: Re: Petzval is a toy)

    That's displayed according to the RFC and by using the References header,
    and how most - if not all - clients display it.

    What Agent displays (by default) is:

    Petzval is a toy
    - Re: Petzval is a toy
    - Re: Petzval is a toy
    Nikon lenses (was: Re: Petzval is a toy)
    - Re: Nikon lenses (was: Re: Petzval is a toy)

    Ignoring the References header. If you were to killfile the thread "Petzval
    is a toy", you would killfile it based on the subject, so in Agent, it
    would look like this:

    Nikon lenses (was: Re: Petzval is a toy)
    - Re: Nikon lenses (was: Re: Petzval is a toy)

    If *I* was to killfile the thread in any of the clients I've shown, I would
    also do it on the subject, and this is what I would see:

    Nikon lenses (was: Re: Petzval is a toy)
    - Re: Nikon lenses (was: Re: Petzval is a toy)

    So it would be exactly the same.

    Sandman, May 4, 2014

  3. Tony Cooper

    Sandman Guest

    No, Pan builds the hierarchy based on the References tree, regardless of
    subject:

    <http://sandman.net/files/usenet/pan.png>

    But perhaps you meant how Pan handles killing thread? Then yes, but then
    again, all clients work pretty much the same way there.

    Sandman, May 4, 2014