Thoughts on SafeBoot

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Skulking Rogue, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Skulking Rogue

    Vdiskker Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:28:25 +0200, Frode wrote:

    <Snip>

    You certainly make good points and there are many favorable arguments for
    full encryption. I think I may try full encryption on a PC, but not my
    primary-use-PC for now ... my phobia remains intact. I have my PC organized
    in such a way that I can reasonably take care of securing / erasing
    sensitive personal data, although I do agree it does require more effort
    than full-drive encryption. If nothing else, I may try full encryption on a
    test PC just to see if it really can function without inhibiting
    performance while editing 300 MB medium format scans in Photoshop. That
    would really surprise me, but I suppose anything is possible. I really have
    no need to build a PC fort against law enforcement; my security needs are
    really for defense against the common thief who could, if made too easy,
    obtain personal info (account numbers, etc.) or copyrighted images (mine)
    from desktop PCs or backup storage media.

    By the way, you may or may not have seen my post further down in the thread
    about my deciding on Safeboot Vdisk. Simon said a new version would be out
    in a "couple of days", but that was more than a couple of days ago. I
    pointed out the fact that it seemed unlikely for a several reasons, but he
    never responded; and guess what, still no new version available.

    Thank you.

    Vdiskker, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Skulking Rogue

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Skulking Rogue

    Simon Hunt Guest

    Pah! It's sitting in the release directory waiting to go live.. maybe
    something to do with everyone having a hangover after the presidents wedding
    party on Friday...

    sorry for the delay - it's all code complete so I can't see it taking a
    significant length of time to hit the web site...

    Simon.

    Simon Hunt, Jul 7, 2003
  4. Skulking Rogue

    Simon Hunt Guest

    snip..
    Simon said a new version would be out

    sorry - can't see that message on my reader? What do you think is unlikly?
    Simon.

    Simon Hunt, Jul 7, 2003
  5. Skulking Rogue

    Vdiskker Guest

    I knew that would flush you out of the bushes :). Here is a quote from my
    post dated 7/3/2003, 5:20 A.M.:

    ....When you say it will be on the website in a "couple of days", how long
    is that really?:) I don't even see a mention of it in the news section on
    the website, so it seems that "a couple of days" is a pretty small time
    frame for something that has only gotten a mention in a newsgroup but not
    on the official site. I hope it is a couple of days (only), though...

    Guess I only pointed out one reason, not several. Sorry.
    I'm sure the other reasons I was thinking about but failed to write down in
    my post were these:

    1. Boy, that sure is coincidental that I'm looking at buying Vdisk, and a
    "guy" on a newsgroup tells me a new version will be out in a couple of
    days, but I can't confirm it anywhere else;

    2. Yea, that's what they all say...how many times have we heard about the
    promised upgrades that never appear. For you fans of malware detectors,
    Diamond CS has been promising free upgrades to version 4 of TDS3 on it's
    website for over a year; still no version 4 (TDS3 is great, don't get me
    wrong).

    Well, you get the point/joke. I guess I'm just too jaded.

    I also asked in that post about the upgrade rights if I were to purchase v
    1.xx of Vdisk. I recently got burned on a software purchase for which an
    unannounced major upgrade was released 3 days later, and I would have to
    pay full price again to get the new version. I've got my credit card out
    waiting to be fired up, so let me know.

    Thank you, Simon.

    Vdiskker, Jul 7, 2003
  6. Skulking Rogue

    Simon Hunt Guest

    Well, you get the point/joke. I guess I'm just too jaded.
    I never thought of charging for an upgrade ;-) seriously, the changes are
    small enough that your current licence file will work.

    I'm still waiting for marketing to action the changes to the web site.
    Download the free 30day v1.0.6 and upgrade it to v2 when it appears.

    Simon.

    Simon Hunt, Jul 8, 2003
  7. Skulking Rogue

    Vdiskker Guest

    Thank you. Will do.

    Vdiskker, Jul 8, 2003
  8. Skulking Rogue

    Simon Hunt Guest

    Well, it's on the web site as of this morning.

    enjoy all!

    Simon.

    Simon Hunt, Jul 10, 2003
  9. Skulking Rogue