    various options.

    I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this was
    just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

    Mark Williams, Jan 8, 2005

  2. Mark Williams

    Thor Guest

    smooth sailing like the titanic perhaps. NIS is an unmitigated piece of crap
    IMHO. I've been working on PCs for going on 9 years now, and each successive
    version of Norton suites has gotten bigger, more bloated, and more
    hypersensitive and fickle about the configuration of the PC it is installed
    upon, culminating in probably the worst abominations I have seen to date,
    the 2004, and 2005 versions.

    Thor, Jan 8, 2005

  3. I have seen a similar problem with NIS 2005. I installed NIS to a Win98
    machine w/Firebird email client. Internet access is through Comcast
    cable. After installation the email server was not available, tried
    Outlook Exprerss client, same results. Had to turn off Personal Firewall
    and Privacy Controls to restore email access.
    Thanks for the tip; I'll re-install NIS 2005.

    To be clear: Are you saying that NIS worked OK until a product update
    was done (LiveUpdate?) some two weeks after initial installation? I
    installed from a CD and LiveUpdate was run immediately after
    installation, a lenghty process.

    John Wentworth, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Mark Williams

    Thor Guest

    You know you really have to have a special kind of love for a product that
    is labelled the "2005" version, and it requires a mammoth 33MB worth of
    updates right out of the box. Pretty goddamn pathetic, but status-quo of
    what we have come to expect from Norton. Look at what dialup users have to
    contend with in using such a program. Pretty much dedicating their
    connection solely to the chore of updating Norton for the span of a couple
    of hours depending on the connection quality. Gotta give you a real good
    feeling about that product after going through that kind of hassle.

    Thor, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Mark Williams

    Jim Berwick Guest

    I do tech support for dialup and DSL customers and I can say almost without
    fail NIS always screws something up and ends up disabled. I go as far as
    telling customers not to buy or install it, and if they use regular Norton
    Antivirus, please disable email scanning, it sucks.

    Jim Berwick, Jan 9, 2005