    that does not show the user the line performance? Speed is abysmal at
    288k up and 576k down, but given its very rural location this might be
    all I can expect. Or it's a limited spec service ...

    Graham J, Jul 14, 2014

  2. The modem/router is probably perfectly fine, even if there isn't much
    for anyone with a technical interest to mess about with. I suspect
    these ISP customised ones are deliberately kept simple to reduce the
    number of tech support calls from people who haven't a clue.

    I have a TG582n purchased from Zen for FTTC, and apparently customised
    by them, because it has their branding in its config pages. It may be
    similar to what you have. The web interface is slow to respond and
    doesn't show much technical info, but it works well at what it is
    supposed to do.

    I've no idea what speed you should expect, but "rural location"
    suggests that what you are getting may be the best available. The BT
    speed checker http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ will give you an
    estimate of what's possible, and even if you can't check the sync
    speed in your router, you can at least use something like
    www.speedtest.net to check the transfer speed.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 15, 2014

  3. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    Roderick Stewart wrote:
    [snip]
    The sync speed and the figure obtained from a website speed checker may
    be wildly different; and if so would need investigation.

    Graham J, Jul 15, 2014
  4. Graham J

    Adrian C Guest

    From googling "line stats TG585", though not v8

    Home > Broadband Connection > DSL Connection > Details

    or via CLI (telnet)

    :xdsl info expand=enabled

    Adrian C, Jul 15, 2014
  5. True, but if you can't get the sync speed from the router, knowing the
    transfer speed on its own is better than nothing.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 15, 2014
  6. Looks like the TG585 can have SNMP enabled ... which is often a better
    way to get at the data you want.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 15, 2014
  7. Graham J

    Mark Guest

    Dunno. You can always check the firmware from the manufacturer and
    re-flash it if necessary.
    Do you know your attenuation or line length?

    Mark, Jul 15, 2014
  8. That should do the trick. The 'Details' hyperlink is at the top-right,
    it's not immediately obvious.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jul 15, 2014
  9. Graham J

    Mark Carver Guest

    Why is it slow, mine's the same, I don't understand why ?

    Mark Carver, Jul 16, 2014
  10. Maybe they just didn't think it was important? The information it
    gives is fairly simple, so I guess it's not aimed at the sort of
    people who would be interested in lots of technical info. As long as
    it fulfills its primary function as a router (which it does), then
    there would be little point adding whatever is needed to make the web
    interface work faster, since few will bother to look at it. Most
    people just want something cheap that works.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 16, 2014
  11. Graham J

    Roger Mills Guest

    Nor me neither! If you Telnet to it, you get an instant response.
    Likewise, if you install the free program RouterStats[1] to monitor it,
    that responds quickly, too. It's just the web interface that's slow.

    [1] http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstats There's a
    bit of a learning curve to configure it for your individual router - but
    it's well worth it. There's also a Lite version which is easier to set
    up, but far more limited in scope.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger