    anyone know the origins of the word tip
    think tla...

    a prize awaits the person with the correct answer... (as decided by me)

    billyw, Sep 18, 2004

  2. billyw

    Neil Guest

    you are likely thinking of To Insure Promptness, but this is not likely
    the case:

    from http://www.word-detective.com/030600.html

    A light touch.

    Dear Word Detective: I read in an advertising newsletter that "tip" is
    supposed to be an acronym for "to insure promptness." First of all, I'm
    wary of anything claiming to be an acronym. Secondly, I believe that the
    correct phrase would be "to ensure promptness" unless one was taking out
    an insurance policy on promptness. Finally, it seems to me that a tip
    does not "ensure" promptness -- rather, it rewards promptness. Any
    thoughts? -- Steve Close, via the internet.

    Well, first of all, I must say that I am shocked -- shocked, I say -- to
    learn that an advertising newsletter, a standard-bearer for an industry
    that prides itself on its devotion to truth and accuracy, would ever
    promulgate erroneous information. Whom, if not the nation's advertisers,
    can one trust? I fear that I may never regard deodorant commercials with
    the same innocent enthusiasm ever again.

    You're absolutely right, of course, to be skeptical about the
    "acronymic" origins proposed for many words. As I've noted before,
    acronyms were very rare in English before World War II, so any term that
    can be shown to have existed before about 1940 is very unlikely to have
    started life as an acronym.

    And you're also largely correct in drawing a distinction between
    "ensure," which generally means "make certain or guarantee" that
    something will happen, and "insure," which usually means to obtain or
    issue an insurance policy on something or someone. Personally, I also
    happen to enjoy the distinction between those two words. But I'm afraid
    that you and I are members of a vanishing minority, and that, at least in
    the U.S., "insure" is increasingly accepted in place of "ensure" in the
    "make certain" sense. Oh well. Can't argue with vox populi, I suppose.

    Now, as to "tip," those bozos are not even close. "Tip" doesn't stand for
    anything. It probably comes from the lingo of thieves in the 1600's,
    where "to tip" meant to give or lend a small amount of money or goods.
    Back then, "tipping" also meant "touching lightly," as in tapping someone
    on the shoulder to get their attention, or possibly "touching" them with
    a request for a small amount of money.

    Neil, Sep 18, 2004

  3. billyw

    TechGeekPro Guest

    TechGeekPro, Sep 19, 2004
  4. billyw

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    I got a tip fer ya right here.

    Ken Briscoe, Sep 20, 2004
  5. billyw

    Neil Guest

    hey, put that thing away!

    (oh, man, I really didn't need to see that)

    Neil, Sep 20, 2004
  6. billyw

    Jtyc Guest

    anyone know the origins of the word tip
    It must be Scottish in origin cause everyone knows that all good things
    originate from Scotland.

    Jtyc, Sep 20, 2004
  7. billyw

    Neil Guest

    like hagis?

    Neil, Sep 20, 2004
  8. billyw

    JaR Guest

    No, like uisgebaugh.

    JaR
    Thirsty, yet Presidential, Thug

    JaR, Sep 20, 2004
  9. circa Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:37:10 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Neil ()
    said,
    Haggis, man, HAGGIS.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 21, 2004
  10. circa Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:02:19 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, JaR ()
    said,
    Lagavulin.

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 21, 2004
  11. billyw

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again Laura A. Robinson
    hagis is the really bad haggis...
    (you are a spelling nazi aren't you_

    Neil, Sep 21, 2004
  12. billyw

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Laura A. Robinson climbed on a
    soapbox & opined:
    Perfect.

    JaR, Sep 21, 2004