this morning

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Dec 22, 2013.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013

  2. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, Dec 22, 2013

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    thanks.
    (note the ISO, and focal length. It was hand held)

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  4. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Thanks.

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  5. PeterN

    MC Guest

    It is very noisy. Hmmm...is it cropped? Maybe you should have shot at
    1/1000s and set ISO at 1600.

    MC

    MC, Dec 23, 2013
  6. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    It is cropped, but not severely. When hand holding at 550mm, I will take
    speed over noise any day.
    Now look at the image again. Is it still noisy? Since I am using my
    laptop, which has only a 14" screen, i tend to ignore noise and only
    make rough edits.

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  7. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Here ya go

    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131222_Sanibel birds_0118.NEF>

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  8. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    While you may have enjoyed the exercise, I quite liked Peter's
    original version and see very little improvement on yours. He's
    working on a laptop in Sanibel, and you've unleashed all the power of
    several plug-ins for very little improvement.

    Sometimes we have to just see a shot and say "Good job.".

    Tony Cooper, Dec 23, 2013
  9. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/22/2013 11:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    At f6.3 we would have lost too much DOF
    I deliberately underexposed in order to preserve mote of the white
    feather detail.

    It was a tradeoff. My personal preference is hang the noise, feather
    detail is more important.
    See corrections in my try # 2, at the original link. There is no
    discernible green cast.

    Looks like we lost too much white feather detail

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  10. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    there is a blue cast onb the edge of the whit feathers and the splashing
    water. To my eye the image is not sharp, and it still lacks detail in
    the feathers.
    I still like my version better, but appreciate your playing, and comments.

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  11. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/23/2013 3:07 AM, Savageduck wrote:

    I know you call yourself savageduck, but would a duck know whether the
    pelican ever had sex?

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  12. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  13. PeterN

    Ron Guest

    Ron, Dec 23, 2013
  14. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Thank you.
    Here on Sanibel it's just a matter of knowing when birds are probably
    going to be active, picking one to follow, and hoping you picked the
    right one.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  15. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    Robert Coe, Dec 24, 2013
  16. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    thanks.
    I hear you have a December thaw. Today it was too hot for me. Had to get
    out of the sum by 10:30. The birds were sleeping through the low tide. I
    don't know how people down here do it.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  17. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    On 2013-12-23 00:42:46 +0000, Savageduck <[email protected]{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    :
    : > On 2013-12-23 00:31:06 +0000, "MC" <> said:
    : >
    : >> PeterN wrote:
    : >>
    : >>> On 12/22/2013 1:05 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    : >>>> On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 12:44:36 -0500, PeterN
    : >>>>
    : >>>>> Here's what I did this morning.
    : >>>>> As usua, all comments are welcome.
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>>
    : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20131222_Sanibel birds_0118.jpg>
    :
    : Excellent
    :
    : shot,
    : >>
    : >>>> Peter. All the better for not being over-done in
    : >>>> post.
    : >>>>
    : >>>
    : >>> thanks.
    : >>> (note the ISO, and focal length. It was hand held)
    : >>
    : >> It is very noisy. Hmmm...is it cropped? Maybe you should have shot at
    : >> 1/1000s and set ISO at 1600.
    : >>
    : >> MC
    : >
    : > It is a great capture, and with the D800 @ ISO 3200 is probably OK
    : > given the other exposure data. whay might not be zok, is the crop and
    : > high JPEG compression (94%)which is likely to leave artifacts.
    : "Whay" & "zok" !!!??
    : What you should be seeing are "What" & "OK". More phingrr phawlts. ;-)

    Oh. I was about to venture the observation that whay is almost always a little
    bit zok.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 24, 2013
  18. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 12/23/2013 12:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    : > On 2013-12-23 16:08:26 +0000, PeterN <> said:
    : >
    : >> On 12/23/2013 10:14 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    : >
    : >> ...and here is version #3 with a crop of #2 and a minor tweak.
    : >>> <
    : >>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/20131222_Sanibel birds_0118-3_Hc.jpg
    : >>>
    : >
    : >
    : > there
    : >>>
    : >> is a blue cast onb the edge of the whit feathers and the splashing
    : >> water. To my eye the image is not sharp, and it still lacks detail in
    : >> the feathers.
    : >> I still like my version better, but appreciate your playing, and
    : >> comments.
    : >
    : > ...and finally version #4.
    : > <
    : > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/20131222_Sanibel birds_0118-4_Hc.jpg
    : >
    : >>
    : >
    : > Thanks for letting me play!
    : >
    :
    : Anytime.
    : Do you think my revision wsa an improvement.

    I can't answer that (I know: you weren't asking me), because I don't really
    know what I'm seeing. I believe you said that you put the revision where the
    original used to be. In any case, I like the one that's there now better than
    any of the Duck's "improvements". Given the dismal starting point, anything
    done to the image represents an artistic judgement, and I like the direction
    you took it better. I like your colors better, but in particular I think
    bringing up the vegetation introduces a distraction that makes the picture
    have less punch. The takeaway, if we didn't know it already, is that trying to
    restore absolute realism to a picture with serious technical problems isn't
    always the best idea.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 24, 2013
  19. PeterN

    MC Guest

    MC, Dec 24, 2013
  20. PeterN

    Mayayana Guest

    | Is it art?
    |
    | I don't know, but it's a wonderful photograph of a pelican as it makes
    | it's first contact withthe water. The contrast between the dark water
    | and background, and the pelican help make this photograph stand out.

    I don't even know if it's a good shot, as I don't
    have the expertise to assess it in terms of
    technique. But I find it hard to take my eyes away
    from the dynamic play between black and white,
    and the dynamic shapes, like the faint upturn at
    the top of the wing.
    So many variants of black and white. Reflections on
    black feathers show white. Silver-white surf and black
    water. The black itself appears as a deep, rich color;
    equal to the white in intesity. Like the way that shiny
    black glass can seem both dark and bright.

    Mayayana, Dec 24, 2013