    they paid £9 each for the room... = £27
    gave the porter £2 =£29
    missing £1 is where?

    AJ, Apr 22, 2005

  2. AJ

    Guest Guest

    So why are you adding 2 to 27? The hotel still only got 25. The porter
    got 5 which he split into 3 and 2. All those values are negative with
    respect to what the hotel got paid (30 - 5 = 30 - 3 - 2). You are
    subtracting 3 and then adding 2. Wrong. You subtract 3 (to get what
    the patrons paid in total) AND you also *subtract* 2 to get down to the
    25 that the hotel got paid. The porter stole the 2 dollars. You are
    trying to pretend that 27 + 2 is what the hotel got paid. Wrong. The
    hotel got paid 27 - 2.

    Guest, Apr 22, 2005

  3. AJ

    Bill P Guest

    Dollars? Who said anything about dollars?

    Bill P, Apr 22, 2005
  4. AJ

    Guest Guest

    Ooooh, excuse me for accidentally putting "dollars" into one of those
    sentences in my reply. So when you wash your hair, you actually follow
    those instructions of "wash, rinse, repeat" indefinitely? I wasn't
    about to waste my time figuring out how to insert the pound character
    and had intended to leave all values as numeric only. The point was to
    prove the failed logic of adding 2 when it was supposed to get
    substracted.

    Guest, Apr 22, 2005
  5. AJ

    Bill P Guest

    Lighten up ;-)

    Bill P, Apr 22, 2005
  6. AJ

    Guest Guest

    It you can't take shit, don't toss it.

    Guest, Apr 22, 2005
  7. AJ

    Scraggy Guest

    Try that yourself.

    Scraggy, Apr 22, 2005
  8. AJ

    Guest Guest

    He tossed first. Mommy, mommy, they're picking on me, mommy.

    Guest, Apr 22, 2005
  9. AJ

    pcbutts1 Guest

    The Hotel got 25
    The Porter got 2
    The extra 3 went to the guests 1 each.
    The guests paid a total of 27, 25 to the hotel and a 2 to the porter as a
    tip.

    pcbutts1, Apr 22, 2005
  10. AJ

    iamgilbert Guest

    they didnt pay 9 pounds each...u only persume they did....
    they actually paid £8.33 each... (£25/3 = £8.3333333)
    see?

    iamgilbert, Apr 22, 2005
  11. AJ

    Scraggy Guest

    <vbg>

    Scraggy, Apr 22, 2005

  12. Your inability to comprehend simple arithmetic is astounding. Perhaps
    you should consult a mushroom, which obviously has a higher "interlect"
    than yourself.

    Arnold P. Furshlugginer, Apr 23, 2005