    the balloon that says "this device could run faster with a usb 2.0
    port". It still works but is very slow now so I suspect it is
    operating like a USB 1.0 device. Any ideas?

    Jeffy3, Dec 4, 2008

  2. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    No, I haven't changed the cable. In fact I exchanged the cable with
    another cable and still got the message. The USB in device manager
    says enhanced too. Also, when I plug in my USB2 MP3 player I don't get
    the message. I only get it with my external hard drive.

    Jeffy3, Dec 4, 2008

  3. I had that problem a few months ago. I have no idea what caused it.
    The fix was easy. Switch off the drive. Uninstall the device. Switch
    back on and let it reinstall.

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Dec 4, 2008
  4. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    Yup. First thing to check - corrupted drivers. Entirely possible it
    reverts to a less capable version.

    chuckcar, Dec 5, 2008
  5. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    Thanks to all. I will try this tonight at home. When you say switch
    off the drive, you mean I right click on it an select uninstall?

    Jeffy3, Dec 5, 2008
  6. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    I got my hands on another external drive of the same make and model
    and plugged that in, and did not get the error message, so I believe I
    have narrowed down my problem to the hard drive itself. Can anyone
    help? Has the drive gone bad? I can still access info on it but it
    just comes through slow as if on a USB 1.0 port.

    Jeffy3, Dec 6, 2008
  7. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    Ok, it sounds to me like the problem *is* the drive or the cable. Try
    using the USB cable for the new drive on the old drive. If that works, you
    need to replace the cable. Similarly, if it *doesn't* fix the problem, the
    problem is the drive that needs replacing.

    This is all assuming that you *bave* disconnected and reconnected the old
    drive while the computer was in windows (with the old cable). This should
    be done only after unmounting the drive of course. If you haven't tried
    this, and you get good drivers, then the problem was only the drivers and
    you needn't worry about it any more.

    chuckcar, Dec 6, 2008
  8. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    Chuck, thanks. Did you see my additional posting where I advised that
    I seem to have narrowed down the problem to the external hard drive
    itself? I hooked up a drive of the same model with the same cable and
    did NOT get the "this device will run faster" message, meaning for
    some reason my external hard drive is being recognized as a 1.0 device
    for some reason. I suppose one solution is to transfer everything
    from the old drive to the other external hard drive, but 87 GB of data
    will probably take days to transfer at 1.0 speed!

    Jeffy3, Dec 6, 2008
  9. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    Yes, I *did* see that. Now read what I just posted in my last message with
    that in mind. You don't know yet if you have a problem with the drive or
    not.

    chuckcar, Dec 6, 2008
  10. Jeffy3

    Evan Platt Guest

    chuckcar = 8 letters.
    back pedaling idiot = 17 letters.
    chuckcar has an IQ of 9.
    17-8 is 9.

    Coincidence? I think not.

    Evan Platt, Dec 6, 2008
  11. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    Unfortunately I've tried all this and none of it helped, but thanks to
    all. It's weird, like the device thinks it's a USB 1.0 device.

    Jeffy3, Dec 6, 2008
  12. Jeffy3

    Art Guest

    chuckcar = 8 letters
    shortbus = 8 letters

    chuckcar belongs on the short bus.

    Art, Dec 6, 2008
  13. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    You removed everything under USB in device manager? you tried using the
    cables for the new drive? There *are* a lot of idiots here who don't like
    the idea of me fixing a problem. This message was a reply to two of them.

    chuckcar, Dec 6, 2008
  14. Jeffy3

    Evan Platt Guest

    Not that many. But you're in that group.
    Yeah. The generic Chucktard solution:

    Reset your bios.

    Evan Platt, Dec 7, 2008
  15. Jeffy3

    Pennywise Guest

    Sorry guy, gave it a try.

    Your not plugging this into a hub (USB cord extension?) are you, the
    hub could be USB 1.0.

    Take the drive to a friends or work and plug it in, should tell you if
    it's the drive or your OS.

    Pennywise, Dec 7, 2008
  16. Jeffy3

    Evan Platt Guest

    Funny, I don't have a current_user under HKLM.

    Evan Platt, Dec 7, 2008
  17. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    No you didn't you *explictly* interrupted the only person who was. Get a
    f*ing clue. Welcome to troll-land.

    chuckcar, Dec 7, 2008
  18. Jeffy3

    Evan Platt Guest

    .... From the King himself.

    Evan Platt, Dec 7, 2008
  19. Jeffy3

    john sumner Guest

    wrote in 4ax.com:
    I dont think that was me that was going to do something like that, did not
    know he was dead.

    john sumner, Dec 7, 2008
  20. Jeffy3

    Pennywise Guest

    That's funny, sometimes it takes the oddest things to fix something.

    Good for you.

    Pennywise, Dec 8, 2008