ThinkPad X40 and T42 both slow while logging onto NT Domain

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sherry, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    Hey, everyone

    I have a very strange problem with two new IBM ThinkPads my company is
    purchasing. The two models are X40 and T42.

    These laptops are both running Windows 2000, using all IBM drivers and
    utils, and they run okay while off the network or logging in locally,
    but when we log into the domain, the blue screen and hourglass sit
    there for between 30 and 60 seconds as it loads the profile! It's
    getting incredibly frustrating.

    We tested all the usual suspects, DNS settings, NIC drivers etc, and
    even removed all items from the RUN key in the registry, anti-virus
    etc.

    We have had some success this week on the T42. On the T42, ATI has
    released a new VIDEO driver this week that seems to help that unit,
    amazingly enough. But the X40 is still dog slow while logging into
    the network. And it is using an Intel VIDEO driver so it's probably
    not the same issue as the T42.

    We've gone back to our vendor and even had IBM techs on-site and they
    were baffled as well. One of my fellow techs discovered the video
    driver issue, and apparently IBM is going to release their own new T42
    (ATI) vid driver in the next week or so.

    If anyone has any experience with slow logins and/or network acces
    with the new ThinkPads running Windows 2000 in an NT/2000 domain can
    they please let me know if they have found anything?

    thanks,
    Joe

    Sherry, Mar 12, 2005

  2. Sherry

    Plato Guest

    Cancel the charge then. Unless they fix it.

    Plato, Mar 12, 2005

  3. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    That is on the table as a possible option.

    Sherry, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Sherry

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Geez! Almost a minute...BFD! There were a few computers at my office that
    were taking closer to 5 minutes. What we found out was that it was some bad
    drive mapping that was causing the problem. The server couldn't resolve the
    requests from the workstation, but kept trying over and over and over until
    it finally gave up. The user wasn't even using the mapping in question, but
    some poorly written software had put the mapping on during it's install.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 13, 2005
  5. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    Yes, a minute isn't long to log into a domain (insert guffaws here)
    but in our case there are no drive mappings in question through
    persistent explorer mappings. Drive mapping take place only via
    whatever the KIX scripts are mapping.

    Suffice to say I'm not impressed with the new breed of TPs.

    Sherry, Mar 13, 2005
  6. Sherry

    Toolman Tim Guest

    My brother uses them, but didn't really have anything 'bad' to say. 'Course,
    his are leased, so if there's a problem they go right back to IBM. We have
    Dell laptops at work, and mostly Dell workstations and servers, not leased,
    but purchased outright, which makes me pretty much 'it' for tech support
    <g>. I did put a gigabyte switch and cards in the computers connecting to
    the W2K server just to help with any possible bottlenecks. That segment on
    the network is small - 3 or 4 workstations at most - but the login has
    always been slower than logging in to the Netware segment. I think it's
    because the domain is handled so much differently. The PCs logging into
    Windows appear to have their data, settings, etc., all stored on the W2K
    server, and all that has to come over the network to boot. On Netware, all
    that remains local, and then drive mapping is used for the data folders
    only. (I really don't know that much about networking with Windows - that
    server went in because the payroll dept. had some software that won't run on
    Netware.)

    Toolman Tim, Mar 13, 2005