    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Apr 13, 2012

  2. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    That would be me, glad to hear you found one.
    Were you still looking for an IDE drive? I found a box with some old
    drives the other day, not sure what sizes are there but I can have a
    look if you want to do a trade.

    Ray Greene, Apr 14, 2012

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ray! That's right. :)

    Yes, I'm still looking for an IDE HDD with larger capacity than the 80GB
    ones I have. As I said in my post, I have a good external enclosure that I
    got cheaply as IDE is so last millenium. <g>

    My email's shaun.at.pukekohe and those nice people at Google provide me with
    the account. Gmail.com, preceeded by an ampersand. (The word .at. in my
    username confounds some people who try to replace it with an ampersand, with
    no luck of course.)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2012
  4. ~misfit~

    Mike Dee Guest

    I got confused when you wrote "ampersand" (&) and not "monkey tail" (@)
    preceded by those nice... see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_sign

    You prolly ment "ampersat" ;-)

    Mike Dee, Apr 16, 2012
  5. ~misfit~

    Mike Dee Guest

    Oops. Not trying to seem like a "grammar nazi". Had a beer or three
    when posting. :-~

    Mike Dee, Apr 16, 2012
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks. I learned it 40 years ago in an English Grammar school and
    remembered it as 'ampersand'. By following your Wiki URL I now see that I've
    been wrong all of these years (or at least since email came in and I racked
    my brain to think of what it was called). I see that it's actually called an
    'asperand' and that I got confused with the '&' (back in the early 90s when
    I was trying to remember what I'd learned at school 20+ years before), which
    as you righly point out is correctly called an ampersand.

    Now, I just have to hope that, in the meantime I haven't made too big an
    arse of myself (just talking about this mistake at the moment, not all of
    the other possible reasons...).

    Thanks. Now I've just got to try to teach my aged, drug-addled brain not to
    say or write 'ampersand' when in fact I mean 'asperand'. S'funny how I can
    (mostly) remember things from ~40 years ago clearly but have trouble
    remembering things from day-to-day, or learning new stuff. I guess taking
    opioid analgesics several times a day (including time-release concoctions
    thereof) will do that to you.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 17, 2012
  7. Thanks. Now I've just got to try to teach my aged, drug-addled brain not to
    say or write 'ampersand' when in fact I mean 'asperand'. S'funny how I can
    (mostly) remember things from ~40 years ago clearly but have trouble
    remembering things from day-to-day, or learning new stuff. I guess taking
    opioid analgesics several times a day (including time-release concoctions
    thereof) will do that to you.[/QUOTE]

    :)

    So will age and dementia. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 18, 2012
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, you're right. It's all downhill from here.

    Who're you then?

    ;-)

    ~misfit~, Apr 18, 2012
  9. I hear it's all downhill (physically) from about 25 :)
    eeehhh ? What ? ... speak up ! .... <exit stage left, muttering> ...
    young whippersnapper !

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 18, 2012
  10. ~misfit~

    Mike Dee Guest

    Well I'm still embarrassed for bringing it up. Anyway I can't talk, I
    barely recall what I had for dinner last night - and I cooked it! ;-)

    Mind you, if you had to choose between ampersand & asperand I can see
    how they can easily blur. I hadn't heard of the term asperand until I
    saw that Wikipedea page, I can only recall ever knowing it as that
    "At" sign or symbol (its probably easier on my feeble brain too).

    Mike Dee, Apr 19, 2012
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL, you're too hard on yourself. As I said, I appreciate that you *did*
    bring it up. Now I just have to train the brain to use asperand rather than
    ampersand, which I've used on-and-off for the last few years. :)

    ~misfit~, Apr 20, 2012