    Because if I buy and don't ask, they will right after I pay for it!
    So, just doing my homework.

    Thanks for any advice.

    fjr.colorado, Feb 17, 2006

  2. fjr.colorado

    Bill Hilton Guest

    asks
    Canon has been on an 18 month cycle with the high end consumer models
    the past few years and the 20D is about 18 months old, so there's a
    pretty fair chance Canon will announce a replacement at the big show
    later this month. Canon has also been lowering the price of the 20D,
    another tip-off that it might be replaced. If they don't announce at
    the show then you're probably good for another 6 months until the fall
    show ... on the other hand if you need it by "end of March" you might
    have a problem getting a new model that quickly, depending on how many
    new ones are in the pipeline.

    This is just a hunch, but in the past that's pretty much what they've
    done with their update schedule.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Feb 17, 2006

  3. fjr.colorado

    Eatmorepies Guest

    Bill Hilton may well be right that the 20D is about to be superceded - but
    you may still be ok to buy a 20D, it depends what you want it for.

    I have a 350D (which is cheaper than the 20D), it takes excellent pictures;
    probably because I have bought good lenses. I have just printed two A3
    monochomes on my Epson 1290 and the quality is very very high.

    The lenses are what you are buying for ever, the camera body will doubtless
    be replaced every few years. I am ignoring the 5D because it does not offer
    enough of an improvement over the 350D for the price.

    If Canon do announce a new 20D this month it may well be very expensive.
    Wait a week or two to see what happens, but don't worry about buying a
    current model - spend on the lenses.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Feb 17, 2006
  4. Check out: http://www.pmai.org/xpma2006/default.asp

    Rumor has it that an upgraded 20D will be announced at this show (only 9
    days away). However, since your trip is at the end of March you might not
    be able to get the new model in time. Also, some feel that the upgrade will
    be a modest improvement.

    I'd say get a 20D now and learn it before taking your trip. I really like
    my 20D, BTW.

    Charles Schuler, Feb 17, 2006
  5. fjr.colorado

    fjr.colorado Guest

    Thanks folks for all your quick comments. It sounds like the 20D is
    probably for me right now.

    Thanks

    fjr.colorado, Feb 17, 2006
  6. fjr.colorado

    Annika1980 Guest

    It sounds like the 20D is probably for me right now.

    The 20D is for everyone. Everybody loves the 20D!!!

    Annika1980, Feb 17, 2006
  7. fjr.colorado

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    What does it matter? If you need a new camera now, but it now. Canon may
    announce something new to replace the 20D, or they may not. Either way,
    the 20D is a superb camera for the money and it will be just as useful
    to you regardless of what Canon does with its dSLR lineup over the next
    few years.

    If you plan to buy a dSLR for a trip next month, I suggest you give
    yourself some time to get acquainted with the camera's controls and
    features before you leave for your trip. If your trip is a once in a
    lifetime kind of trip, you definitely don't want to spend precious time
    during your trip learning the basics of how your camera works; its
    better to at least know how the main features work before you go away.

    Shawn Hirn, Feb 17, 2006
  8. It sounds like the 20D is probably for me right now.
    Everybody may indeed love the 20D, but there are a few of us who actually
    like the smaller size of the Rebel 350/XT. In my case that's because I'm
    hauling the camera gear around by bicycle, and a Rebel 350/XT is small
    enough that it will fit into a fairly-small handlebar bag. The 20D is just a
    bit too big for that. Plus, the extra half-pound of weight (in a handlebar
    bag) makes a significant difference in your the bike handles. So yes, I'm a
    weird case, putting the handling of my bicycle ahead of the camera.

    I'm also one of those strange ones who have been very happy with the 17-85
    IS lens, although I have to admit, the 70-200 f4 L that I picked up to round
    things out is one very sharp piece of glass (but definitely too big for a
    handlebar bag!).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Feb 18, 2006
  9. Its a fair question, nothing more frustrating than buying a camera only to
    see it replaced within a month but...

    What are the likely improvements and are they important to you as against
    getting a current model now and getting familiar with it?

    I would guess its likely to have a 10MP APSC sensor, i.e. not full frame or
    why introduce the 5D. More file storage capacity required and is the extra
    resolution really important? with each step up the percentage gain gets
    less. i.e. 4 up to 6 is 50% but 8 to 10 is only 20%

    A larger LCD screen as on the 5D ?

    Other eye catching enhancements, perhaps spot metering, wireless downloading
    built in??

    If these are essential to you then wait and risk taking a brand to model
    with you without having a chance to familiarise yourself with it, but you
    could also consider getting the excellent "old" 300D/Rebel for little money,
    learn it, use it, spend the saved cash on good lenses and then upgrade to
    the new 20D replacement or even the next generation after that in another 18
    months, by which time you will know what features are important to you and
    sell on the old one without much loss.

    Andrew

    Andrew Bealing, Feb 18, 2006
  10. fjr.colorado

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Andrew Bealing writes ...
    For historical reference, here's roughly what Canon has done the last
    few times it upgraded/obsoleted consumer models ... D30 (3 Mpix)
    originally sold for $3,000, price dropped to $2,200 with a 1 GB IBM
    micro-drive shortly before the next model was introduced ... next model
    was the D60, 6 Mpix for $1,900 or so ... twice the pixel count, lower
    price for waiting a few weeks :)

    D60 was replaced a year later by the 10D, same pixel count but several
    improvements in AF etc, price dropped from $1,900 to $1,500 ...

    10D was replaced Sept 2004 by the 20D, 8 Mpix insted of 6 and more
    improvements to AF, etc. Same price.

    In every case it made sense to wait and see what the new model had
    since inevitably they were some combo of cheaper or higher pixel count
    or improvements to AF etc.

    PMA is a week or so away and will likely feature a replacement for the
    20D. I think it's dumb not to wait a week or 10 days and at least see
    what the replacement model's features and cost are. If at that time
    you decide you would prefer the 20D then it will be even cheaper since
    they will be clearing inventory.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Feb 18, 2006
  11. In the mean time, you might consider borrowing, renting perhaps a 300D
    or any of the earlier Canon dSLRs as the controls are similar enough
    that you'd get a few steps up the curve, and be better prepared to make
    a quick decsion when, if and as Canon produces an jump up over current
    offerings.

    I am betting on blue tooth, and a larger lcd screen. 10 MP.

    John McWilliams, Feb 18, 2006
  12. Strange? Everyone loves the 17-85!

    Charles Schuler, Feb 18, 2006
  13. In every case it made sense to wait and see what the new model had
    In that case you'll wind up waiting forever and not ever buying that new
    camera.

    William Oertell, Feb 19, 2006
  14. fjr.colorado

    Bill Hilton Guest

    it made sense to wait and see what the new model had
    Or one week until PMA, which ever comes first :)

    Bill Hilton, Feb 19, 2006
  15. fjr.colorado

    Scott Wuerch Guest

    I usually lurk, but

    The 5d does not offer enough of an improvement over a Rebel XT??? Rebel
    has a smaller than APS-C sensor, 5d has a full size 35mm sensor. Rebel
    XT is 8 MP but tests I've seen show it doesn't outperform the 10D for
    picture quality (10D has APS-C sensor). At 12mp with the full-sized
    35mm sensor the 5D blows both away for quality and capability. 12MP is
    what MF digital gear was doing a few years ago.

    You can ignore the 5D if you wish, but to say that an XT is so close to
    it that it's not worth looking at, is like saying that a Ford Focus is
    so close to a top of the line Volvo that you're ignoring the Volvo?
    You're comparing apples to caviar.

    Scott Wuerch

    Scott Wuerch, Feb 19, 2006
  16. Both have the essentials : four wheels, a motor and a steering wheel
    ;o).
    Well, apples may be a more reasonable choice in the peculiar case of
    someone starving (bis repetita placent ;o).

    Of course the 5d is better, but it may be way beyond the needs of some
    people.
    I agree with the opinion in http://minilien.com/?BlaI8xueUs who
    compares a FF dSLR to medium format film.
    Well, I agree at least theorically, because I haven't enough monthly
    income to afford a 5d and its corresponding L zooms.

    Btw, I'd rather say there is not that much difference between the 20d
    and the RebelXT/350d, compared to the price! But for this kind of
    definitive statement to be valuable, we should first explain what are
    our needs and preferences : for an example, I put much value in
    lightness...

    nikojorj_jaimepaslapub, Feb 19, 2006
  17. fjr.colorado

    Skip M Guest

    Why not just say you can't afford the 5D? My daughter has a RebelXT, and
    the comparison between it and my 5D shows a myriad of improvements. Better
    noise, better low light AF, better focus tracking, better overall AF, better
    tonal quality, sturdier body, nicer feel, better controls, 35mm sized
    sensor, more resolution. Maybe, to you, it's not worth mortgaging the house
    to buy one, after all, it is about 3x the price of the RebelXT/350D, but the
    difference between those two cameras is greater than the difference between
    the 5D and the 1Ds mkII, in my opinion.

    Skip M, Feb 19, 2006
  18. fjr.colorado

    Skip M Guest

    Oh, yeah, forgot that 5D has a faster max shutter speed, much larger cache,
    flash synch, larger ISO range in 1/3 stop steps, more WB settings, spot
    meter, larger LCD. 350D advantages? Smaller, lighter (if you consider that
    an advantage, since it is due to its nearly all plastic construction) and
    the all important built in flash with a stunning guide number of ...12.

    Skip M, Feb 20, 2006
  19. fjr.colorado

    spirit Guest

    Bought a 350D recently, I use the 1D already and 350D is an amazing
    little package. I think it offers more options to a system's
    flexibility with its small size, light weight and low noise shutter
    being its main unique selling points.

    What I find contradictory is the necessity to fit it with giant L
    glass to gain the maximum image quality, once this is done, in many
    cases its small size advantage becomes a rather mute point.

    I bought it mainly for concert photography where its 1.6 x factor and
    low shutter sound become valuable advantages over my giant 1D gear. It
    makes handholding a 300mm ƒ2.8L IS + 1.4x converter far more
    manageable and in this context its high ISO noise is very acceptable ~
    [outdoors though the signal noise from ISO800 is poor].

    spirit, Feb 20, 2006
  20. fjr.colorado

    Skip M Guest

    LOL, when I read, "concert photography," I immediately wondered how a low
    shutter noise was an advantage. Then I remembered there are other kinds of
    concerts besides the ones I used to shoot. At those, anything short of
    small artillery went unheard, or at least unnoticed, and even that was
    assumed to be part of the show!

    Skip M, Feb 21, 2006