They finally wise up to where the REAL volume piracy is??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rich, Oct 29, 2005.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Maybe not as easy as going after downloaders Stateside,
    but infinity more logical. The Orient sees theft as normal
    business practice, as many companies who have tried to do
    business there have discovered.
    -Rich

    U.S. seeks WTO crackdown on China piracy

    American tech business groups are hoping the World Trade Organization
    will prompt a crackdown on intellectual-property piracy in China.

    The United States Wednesday asked the WTO to demand proof from Beijing
    that it is taking active steps to snuff out the illegal copying of
    foreign-made software, movies and other such products.

    "China has enacted a number of laws to protect intellectual property,
    including a law to protect semiconductor layout designs,"
    Semiconductor Industry Association President George Scalise said in a
    news release. "Enforcement of IP protection laws has been widely
    recognized as falling short of what is needed to deter violations."

    The Los Angeles Times said the losses to American, Japanese and
    European companies attributed to piracy in China totaled about $60
    billion in 2003 alone.

    China is expected to respond to the WTO request in about three months.
    If the response is deemed to be lacking, the organization could
    eventually seek economic sanctions.

    Copyright 2005 by United Press International

    This news is brought to you by PhysOrg.com

    Rich, Oct 29, 2005

  2. No, they have always known. They are just now waking up to the
    impact that it is having.

    I simply call 'em what they are. Thieving bastards.

    NunYa Bidness, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Rich

    Napalm68 Guest

    Economic sanctions against china? who the hell are they trying to kid?

    Napalm68, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Rich

    Mark Spatny Guest

    As opposed to American oil companies, which use any excuse to jack up
    prices and gouge consumers, even though they have been making record
    profits.

    The entire world sees theft as a normal business practice...It's just
    called different things depending on whether you are doing the
    thieving or on the receiving end.

    Mark Spatny, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Rich

    Tarkus Guest

    It's not theft to raise your prices to meet demand. It's called
    capitalism. There is no law that says you're only allowed to make a
    certain amount of profit.

    Tarkus, Oct 30, 2005
  6. Actually, I think there are some sort of laws to that effect.

    I recall reading on Snopes.com about a gas-station that raised it's prices
    to ridiculous levels (something like $10 a litre) around the time of the New
    Orleans floods, but were quickly ordered by the FCC to lower them back to
    reasonable levels.
    Not exactly sure what the technicalities of it are, but there are laws like
    that.

    The Man With No Name, Oct 30, 2005
  7. Rich

    showtaper Guest

    Why would the FCC be involved? We're they illegally
    broadcasting inflated prices????

    showtaper, Oct 30, 2005
  8. That would be the FTC. The FCC has nothing to do with gasoline, or
    those that sell it.

    NunYa Bidness, Oct 30, 2005
  9. Rich

    Tarkus Guest

    Why would the FCC have anything to do with it?
    There are laws on the books in some states to deal with gouging by local
    businesses during emergency situations. But that's not what we're
    talking about. We're talking about oil companies raising prices despite
    high profits.

    Tarkus, Oct 30, 2005
  10. Rich

    Alpha Guest

    Shut up. Get out. Leave for some brains to answer.

    Alpha, Oct 31, 2005
  11. Rich

    Mutley Guest

    Hmmm. BP oil.. Profits up 30% for last quarter..

    Mutley, Oct 31, 2005
  12. Rich

    Howard Guest

    That's right, bitch...you'll do as you are told! Now do it again! Post in
    this newsgroup calling someone a retard. You claim we can't control you, and
    yet...we DO.

    Howard, Oct 31, 2005
  13. Rich

    WinField Guest

    Hey bottom-feeder! Ha!
    I think I smelled your rectum-fumes before.
    (but you were posting under dif/Nick)

    You've told this group how you were born many times before. You know,
    your smelly crap about Mommie, retarded, flushing etc. Yuck. And your
    tasteful collection of DVD titles (PeeWee Herman's Adventure was great).

    Either that, or you pinched someone else's juvenile insults. The other
    thing that proves you're just a Usenet newbie is the petty sarcasm about
    typo's.

    Come'on you drunken TWAT! Wake up. Weren't you the guy who knew a lot
    about (gold) connects, and bailed me out when some community college
    tech got egg on his face about contact resistance.

    Catch you later, heathen-buttwipe. =)
    {{ winf }}

    --- this space reserved for bottom-feeders/typo tyrants ---

    WinField, Nov 1, 2005