    thelatest quote a half second and thats bad for anything moving.
    all the digital photo mags just concentrate on still lifes etc , i have
    never seen a shot of a moving target in a digital camera mag .

    none, Apr 20, 2006

  2. I use a Canon 20D and the lag is about the same as any other SLR. I
    would say it is less than ½ second. You got to move that mirror out of the
    way. Since you finger also has a delay you always need to anticipate a
    little. I admit that the older ones had bad delays.

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 20, 2006

  3. none

    Eric Miller Guest

    Surely you aren't talking about DSLR's. Even my Canon 10D, introduced more
    than 3 years ago, has a shutter lag of only about 1/10 second.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Apr 20, 2006
  4. The DSLRs are generally faster than P&S compacts. You also need to
    specify whether you include the time to focus in the measurement.
    Many compacts are slow to focus, but are reasonably responsive if
    pre-focused.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Apr 20, 2006
  5. none

    tnom Guest

    Some cameras are very fast if pre-focused. The Sony DSC-H1
    has a pre-focused lag of .011 seconds.

    tnom, Apr 20, 2006
  6. Hold on, wait a second: You said somewhat shy of a half a second??
    That's a lifetime in photography, at least some types.

    It's got to be way less on my 20D. And my 300 D feels like a slug after
    using the 20D. I don't know what the interval is, but a w.a.g. would be
    1/50 delay on the 20D and several times more on the 300D, maybe 1/15th.

    I asked a few weeks ago if dpreview's side by side had dropped shutter
    lag from their stats, or if I was just imagining they did show that....

    John McWilliams, Apr 20, 2006
  7. none

    LPB Guest

    The Nikon D70s has virtually no shutter lag. The same for the D200. I
    can't speak for earlier models, but these have near instantaneous shutter
    release.

    LPB, Apr 20, 2006
  8. none

    js Guest

    I would hope it's WAY less than 1/2 second! 1/2 second is an eternity.

    js, Apr 20, 2006
  9. none

    js Guest

    That's still WAY too long!

    js, Apr 20, 2006
  10. none

    js Guest

    How long does it take including the focus time?

    js, Apr 20, 2006
  11. I don't know what you're reading; At this point cheap P&S cameras have
    reported lags down in the .05 second range. See dpreview.com.

    ('shutter lag' as I understand the term should not include autofocus
    time; the autofocus speed on the cheap cameras is much slower than on
    DSLRs; but then focusing by hand takes time, too.)

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 20, 2006
  12. Typical times for SLRs are in the 75-150 millisecond ranges,
    i.e. around a tenth of a second. I have no reason to think the 20D
    isn't around there somewhere. I feel like my Fuji S2 and Nikon D200
    are well in the normal range compared to film SLRs I've used.

    Adding in the focus time can still cause a problem -- but manual focus
    takes time too. Thing is, it doesn't take time *for each shot* in
    some kinds of situations; you can focus *once* and then shoot many
    times if the distance isn't changing. (And I find that useful even
    with AF lenses; turn it off!)

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 20, 2006
  13. You won't get a lot better than that. Film SLRs aren't any faster
    generally. A Leica rangefinder will be faster, but I believe that's
    around 50 milliseconds -- only twice as fast.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 20, 2006
  14. none

    Bill Hilton Guest

    none writes ...
    Point-and-shoots are pretty bad but most of the dSLRs are similar to
    their film version counterparts, I think.
    I shoot a lot of moving things with my Canon 1D Mark II and the
    auto-focus and shutter lag are both faster than with my Canon film
    EOS-3. I think I read 30-35 ms or something like that for shutter lag,
    which is pretty minimal ...
    I've seen thousands of digital pics of "moving targets", including
    birds-in-flight and all the action at sporting events like the Super
    Bowl, which has been all-digital for Sports Illustrated photographers
    for several years now ...

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Apr 21, 2006
  15. none

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I think normal slr's are around 50 msec and a Leica M is maybe 15
    msec. The Canon EOS-1RS (pellicle mirror) claimed 6 msec:

    http://www.supereastasia.com/prod_details.asp?id=3&subid=11&pid=284

    In practice one learns to anticipate the action and press the shutter
    a little early.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 21, 2006
  16. According to Steve's reviews it is " Very robust - the camera starts up
    in 0.2-second and has a shutter release time lag of only 65 milliseconds."

    Clearly my memory was bad by a factor of about 10. In any case, I found
    it fast enough, little if any different from my film Canon or Nikon.

    In any case, there is still the human factor. I believe that is likely
    to be more than even that half second. For fast action, you need practice
    and more important timing - predicting.

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 21, 2006
  17. none

    Rich Guest

    People are crybabies about this. Put the frigging camera in
    rapid-fire mode, do some focus-shot anticipating and hope
    for the best. Most of these people worried about it probably
    raise the camera to their eyes, fire the shutter only to find out
    they didn't take it off 2 minutes sleep mode...

    Rich, Apr 21, 2006
  18. Does anyone recall the answer to the above?

    John McWilliams, Apr 21, 2006
  19. none

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Many of the newer cameras are well under the .5 second shutter lag time.
    However, shutter lag can be compensated for with some attention to the
    problem. Prefocusing will help the most. Generally DSLR cameras have
    very short shutter lags, close to those of film cameras. Any time
    autofocus is active, there will some lag in any camera.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 21, 2006
  20. none

    Guest Guest

    It is about the same as human reaction time under the most favourable
    conditions. You just have to compensate for the slight additional delay
    in the hardware.

    If you doubt this try the BBC sheep dash reaction time test at:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/

    It will give you a pretty idea of how fast you really are at catching
    that fleeting moment.

    P&S with shutter lag delays of in some cases almost 1s are virtually
    impossible to use for motorsports, but with a DSLR it isn't a problem.
    Some P&S cameras will become a bit more responsive if you disable the
    automatic flash.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Guest, Apr 21, 2006