    First principals tell me the tutor is wrong, and that only a small
    amount is needed, and as it is conductive it shouldn't squeeze out from
    under the heatsink.

    soup, Feb 7, 2010

  2. Your instincts are right; the correct answer is to use very little
    thermal paste.

    If you do it right, the paste spreads out to a layer no thicker than a
    sheet or two of paper, and at that thickness, it takes very little to
    completely cover the top surface of the CPU.

    Too much past can cause multiple problems: First, it may not spread
    thin, and a thick layer of paste is NOT a good thermal conductor and may
    impede the cooling system from properly transferring heat from the CPU
    to the heatsink. Second, the past may ooze out from the CPU completely
    and get all over the motherboard, where it may both make a mess and
    cause many kinds of problems (many of these are conductive, but even the
    ones that are not high conductive will cause problems if they get on the
    motherboard components right around the CPU).

    The correct amount is about the size of 1 to 2 grains of rice.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 7, 2010