    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/co...2f5&dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    Techy, Nov 17, 2007

  2. Actually, Windows Media Player is 64-bit. IE is both, and the default is
    32-bit. The primary reason for this is that there are so many compatibility
    issues with 64-bit IE. ActiveX controls that web sites try to install on
    your browser don't work because they're 32-bit. Also, any 32-bit program
    that calls IE will automatically get the 32-bit version. But a 64-bit
    program will get the 64-bit IE by default.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 17, 2007

  3. Techy

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    WMP11 comes in Vista x64 in both flavours, 32-bit and 64-bit, being 32-bit
    the default one.
    WMP11 64-bit, as opposed to IE7 64-bit, can be used "full" because of the
    availability of 64-bit decoders (e.g.: ffdshow x64, Vista Codec Package x64,
    etc.)
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 17, 2007
  4. Techy

    Techy Guest

    Carlos is correct. There is two versions just like I said originally. It also
    makes me wonder what other applications come in both flavors, which are 32,
    and which are 64. I really like to support and use 64 bit applications and I
    know others do as well.

    Microsoft needs to implement this idea of being able to set defaults to 64
    bit apps and maybe even a list of which apps included in Vista are 64 or 32
    so I can replace them with 64 bit ones (because I know they make 64 bit
    defraggers, spyware removers, etc). I like to embrace the future with open
    arms. :)

    Techy, Nov 17, 2007
  5. Techy

    Techy Guest

    Ok guys. I just figured out that mostly everything is 64 bit at default
    except Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

    There is an application to make 64 bit WMP the default.
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Vista_Codec_Package_x64_Components/1159994557/2

    It didn't work for me, but it worked for others. I cannot figure out a way
    to make 64 bit IE my default though. Please vote and suggest this to
    Microsoft.

    I know they did it for compatibility reasons but... whatever.

    Techy, Nov 21, 2007
  6. Techy

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Techy.
    Not exactly "default", but I just changed the WMP and IE shortcuts on my
    desktop, Start Menu and Quick Launch to point to "Program Files", rather
    than to "Program Files (x86)".

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 21, 2007
  7. Techy

    Techy Guest

    Thanks. I've done that but clicking on music files or links from email or RSS
    still brings up the 32 bit versions which isn't good. Please suggest this to
    Microsoft everyone.

    Techy, Nov 22, 2007