    Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, “The printer driver is
    not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
    drivers.†What is up with that?

    Guest, Dec 18, 2005

  2. Guest

    Rick Guest

    You absolutely have to have print drivers designed for Win x64. So,
    until Samsung decides to publish such drivers, you're only recourse is
    to experiment and find a driver in Win x64 that will at least perform
    enough of the desired functions to allow you to use your printer. I
    have a Samsung CLP-550 and use one of the HP drivers. I don't get
    duplexing, but otherwise it prints fine.

    Rick, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Can you please tell me what driver are you using, Rick?

    Guest, Dec 18, 2005
  4. Guest

    Rick Guest

    I can as soon as I get things changed around. I am updating my system
    and don't have my x64 system on line right now.

    Rick, Dec 19, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    HP Color Laser Jet 8550 PCL seems to work about the best with the Samsung 500
    series printers

    Guest, Dec 19, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Well! I have the same printer but the Network version CLS 510 N

    Have the same problem,they sent me a CD with a prelim driver But it did not
    work...It may work on yours since it is the main 64bit printer driver

    It seems that Win64 has a second printer function: a Print server which
    also needs a driver if one is using a networked printer ,if someone can
    figure out a make the second driver(grin)

    Dennis

    Guest, Dec 19, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    mine is a 550N, in printers setup a network printer, using the IP address
    assigned to the 510N, to set up a new IP Port, then select the HP Printer,
    works just fine cept for no duplex

    Guest, Dec 19, 2005
  8. Guest

    John Mack Guest

    Try this, Start/Printers > Add Printer > Local > Usb Port
    There will be a button for Windows Update, click that and choose CLP-510
    from the list. it is a 64 bit driver but doesn't do duplexing. It does
    however work, and who knows maybe they will come out with drivers some day.
    I don't care what the faithful say, they should not have realeased x64 for
    sale till they had drivers, but another story-another day.

    John Mack, Dec 21, 2005
  9. Guest

    Rick Guest

    If this were a perfect world, your statement about the drivers would be
    okay. But we don't and with every new OS Microsoft has released, the
    story has always been the same. It happened with Win 96, Win ME, and
    Win XP. It's a chicken and egg conundrum - which comes first?

    Rick, Dec 22, 2005
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    OK Rick; Since you're on a roll with this topic:

    I purchased a Lexmark 7100 (Office-Jet). Lexmark has no (scheduled) plans
    for releasing a 64-bit driver. According to this thread; I can find another
    64-bit driver from say "HP" or "Cannon", who do produce 64-bit printer
    drivers, and perhaps one of those will work for my Lexmark? Would it be best
    to look for a similar type (multi-function) driver?

    Guest, Dec 30, 2005
  11. I doubt they'll work. Just dual boot or return the printer for one that
    does have 64 bit drivers. Anything but Lexmark.... I think most of the
    current Canon AIOs have 64 bit drivers... MP780 certainly does.

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Dec 30, 2005
  12. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    I would try the driver for one of the z series - try the z42 and see if
    you get the print function. Sorry I haven't heard of any scan function on
    Lexmark, but others may have.

    John Barnes, Dec 30, 2005
  13. Guest

    Rick Guest

    I have my doubts that a driver from another brand would work properly
    with you multi-function printer.

    Laser printers seem to be easier to find compatible drivers since, for
    the most part, they tend to emulate HP lasers.

    I don't know when you purchased the Lexmark 7100, but you might consider
    a new printer, like the Brother MFC-420CN which has Win x64 drivers
    available for download.

    Rick, Dec 31, 2005
  14. Multi-function printers are a problem, and you likely need a very close
    cousin. But for basic printing needs, most printers support either PCL or
    Postscript. Choosing a model printer that has relatively similar
    capabilities to yours, and that has PCL or PS drivers is a good bet, _if_
    your printer has PCL or PS.

    Personally, I've found over the years of regularly running beta and leading
    edge operating systems that having a _network_ connected printer that
    understands Postscript has made my life much, much easier. Currently I have
    an HP LaserJet 1200 series with Postscript and a network print server. It
    works just fine in any of 5 different operating systems I happen to need to
    connect to it with, NONE of which is 32-bit. ;) (and only two of them are
    actually shipping products.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 31, 2005