The Workaround Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ross Hardter, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. Ross Hardter

    Ross Hardter Guest

    Reference my problem described in "File Sharing" (27 October). I found
    purely by chance (but can't find today) in the KnowledgeBase a description
    of a known problem regarding accessing files on a Windows Me computer from a
    Windows XP computer. A simple "workaround" is presented as the solution.
    The steps are:

    On the Windows Me computer, go to Control Panel and double-click on
    Network.
    Under Configuration click on Add and then Protocol.
    Click on TCP/IP.
    (This will cause "TCP/IP (nothing)" to be added to the list of Network
    components.)
    Click on OK. (Note: there is no Apply to click on!)
    Change Primary Network Logon from Client for Microsoft Networks to Windows
    Logon.
    Click on OK. (Again there is no Apply available.)

    But after the computer is restarted, that TCP/IP entry in Networks
    components is no longer there. And file sharing still does not work. I've
    tried it several times, including leaving Client for Microsoft Networks in
    place. It made no difference.

    I've spent more time on this problem than it is worth. Instead I'm copying
    files onto 3 1/2" disks and manually transferring them. I'll monitor this
    posting for a few days to see if anyone can explain why this stupid thing
    doesn't work.

    Ross Hardter, Oct 31, 2004