    Two power failures, and it's piggy time.
    I would rather push a button, and let a solenoid to the kicking. :)
    I don't mind hard work. It's hard physical work that's out.

    Guest, Aug 4, 2007

  2. javawizard

    jmfbahciv Guest

    But there are other people reading his fluff. They may need
    repetition. Besides, the thread is just now getting interesting
    with your post about interrupts. There may be a few other people
    who will read it and get interested. A select few may even
    try to write some code ;-).

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Aug 4, 2007

  3. javawizard

    jmfbahciv Guest

    What about the 407 boards? We didn't call the printer a computer
    but it did have modifyable[ugh!] circuitry. Since I wasn't allowed
    to learn how to make a plug board, I don't know what you could
    do with it.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Aug 4, 2007
  4. javawizard

    Quadibloc Guest

    Vannevar Bush's Differential Analyzer could be set up to do different
    types of calculation, and it certainly did have the same "social
    position" as, say, the SSEC: an awesome mathematical machine
    performing vast calculations.

    Since it was analog, it couldn't be set up for, say, word processing,
    but I wouldn't say it wasn't a computer - even though it wasn't fully
    equivalent to a Universal Turing Machine.

    Other exotic aids to calculation, such as a tide predictor, or the
    Antikythera Mechanism, are things I would say are "not computers",
    even though a tide predictor can be set up to calculate different
    combinations of harmonics.

    I don't know enough about the design of the early race-track
    totalisators to comment on their relevance, although I've seen them
    mentioned. Office accounting machines that could perform a sum of
    products operation automatically, and accumulate multiple totals,
    existed; I don't know enough detail about this history to know if
    there was one that was programmable enough to meet my minimum
    definition of a computer.
    Yes, the Bell Relay Calculator is another very early computer, and
    discussed in histories of the field. At least, the one that worked on
    complex numbers could use a program from paper tape.

    John Savard

    Quadibloc, Aug 4, 2007
  5. javawizard

    Quadibloc Guest

    Quadibloc, Aug 4, 2007
  6. javawizard

    krw Guest

    No question.
    Not in the sense of Von Neuman architecture, no. The program is
    "user" modifiable though.

    krw, Aug 5, 2007