    Stop it with the pedantic crap. A computer (or calculator) sequences
    itself after being started. An abacus does no such thing. It's
    simply a record keeping device, similar to pencil and paper.

    krw, Jul 30, 2007

  2. javawizard

    krw Guest

    Your point?

    krw, Jul 30, 2007

  3. javawizard

    GeekBoy Guest

    Yes my point.

    GeekBoy, Jul 30, 2007
  4. What does the Americans with Disabilities Association have to do with
    programming? Was Lady Lovelace the founder?

    (Hint: The name of the language is "Ada", with only the first letter
    capitalized.)
    Or a KVM.

    Charlie Gibbs, Jul 30, 2007
  5. javawizard

    krw Guest

    Ah, at first I didn't see it sitting between your shoulders.

    krw, Jul 30, 2007
  6. javawizard

    Guest Guest

    On 30 Jul 07 10:37:56 -0800, "Charlie Gibbs" <>

    And the KVM is easier on the (wooden) floor. :)

    Guest, Jul 30, 2007
  7. On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:31:44 -0500
    But nowhere near as much fun :)

    Steve O'Hara-Smith, Jul 30, 2007
  8. javawizard

    Klokmeester Guest

    Klokmeester, Jul 31, 2007
  9. javawizard

    krw Guest

    Ok, let me change that to; stop being an asshole.
    Not at all.
    Abslolutely no useful information to be found.
    "The primary purpose of the abacus was not to perform actual
    computations, but to provide a quick means of storing numbers
    during a calculation."

    I.e. paper and pencil.

    krw, Jul 31, 2007
  10. javawizard

    Klokmeester Guest

    Irrelevant to what a "computer" was and is.

    Klokmeester, Jul 31, 2007
  11. javawizard

    krw Guest

    No one home there?

    krw, Jul 31, 2007
  12. Quill.

    Roland Hutchinson, Jul 31, 2007
  13. I am reminded of a much-told (and possibly even true) story about the
    violinist Jascha Heifetz. It seem that in the green room after a concert,
    a society matron (Heifetz stories _always_ seem to involve society matrons)
    gushed, "Oh, Mr. Heifetz, your Guarnerius[1] sounded simply _magnificent_
    tonight." Heifetz picked up the instrument, which had been lying nearby in
    its case, held it near to his ear for a few moments with a look of deep
    concentration, and coolly remarked, "That's funny; I don't hear anything."

    [1] Telling the story about the Guarneri rather than one of his Strads lends
    an air of credibility: an inexpertly made-up story about violins is almost
    bound to have a Strad or two in it.

    Roland Hutchinson, Jul 31, 2007
  14. javawizard

    Guest Guest

    I remember scooting around the computer room on a chair with wheels,
    in the distant past. Scoot over to the 1052 console, enter a command.
    Scoot over to the 2540 card reader, load a deck of cards. Scoot over
    to the 1403 printer, and collect a listing. Walk over to the
    keypunch, and fix a card. Repeat as needed. Not all that much fun.
    That damn computer room was cold. Even colder, because it was 3rd
    shift, and I was the only person there.

    Nowadays, I sit in from of one keyboard, 3 monitors, and several
    systems. (Only two active at the moment) And the KVM is a keyboard
    controlled type, so I don't even have to reach to change systems.

    I've also gotten fat and lazy. :)

    Guest, Jul 31, 2007
  15. javawizard

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Exactly. The "you" is the human, not the device.
    At most it is a temporary storage device, not a computer.

    [very glum emoticon here] If the kiddies can't ID a computer in
    this day and age, then the craft is definitely going to become
    magic.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Jul 31, 2007
  16. javawizard

    Klokmeester Guest

    Whether you store numbers electronically or mechanically is of no
    consequence, you are still computing.

    An abacus is a tool for computing numbers no less then a calculator is.

    Klokmeester, Jul 31, 2007
  17. javawizard

    krw Guest

    Thank you.

    <snip>

    krw, Jul 31, 2007
  18. javawizard

    krw Guest

    When I was in corporate purchasing engineering, one of our test
    floors was kept at about 60F (the MegaTest systems liked it cold).
    The women hated working there in their summer dresses. One of the
    ventilation tiles was under the console which they bitched about
    loudly, for some reason.
    Three monitors, only two systems, one off (still unstable). I have
    two keyboards and two rodents though. My KVM switch is acting up. I
    plan to go to VNC soon. Now, if I could get the third monitor on my
    laptop running...
    A sure sign of intelligence. ;-)

    krw, Jul 31, 2007
  19. javawizard

    Klokmeester Guest

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/abacus

    n. pl. ab·a·cus·es or ab·a·ci (ab'?-si', ?-bak'i')

    1.. A manual computing device consisting of a frame holding parallel rods
    strung with movable counters.
    2.. Architecture A slab on the top of the capital of a column.

    Thanks for playing.

    Klokmeester, Jul 31, 2007
  20. javawizard

    krw Guest