    was a woman, Lady Augusta Ada Lovelace. Her mechanical computer,
    called an "analytical machine" was created by Charles Babbage and used
    punch cards for input. The year was 1852. - from www.odd-info.com

    javawizard, Jul 29, 2007

  2. javawizard

    Klokmeester Guest

    The Abacus shits all over that feat.

    Klokmeester, Jul 30, 2007

  3. javawizard

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    You think that's news to people in this newsgroup? Heck, I suspect
    there's people around here who *met* her :)

    Joe Pfeiffer, Jul 30, 2007
  4. javawizard

    Craig Welch Guest

    No, but what is news is that there are still people around who would
    post to a multiplicity of newsgroups (in this case four) and still refer
    to *this* newsgroup.

    Craig Welch, Jul 30, 2007
  5. javawizard

    krw Guest

    Please explain how an abacus is in any way a "computer" or has a
    "program". My bet is that fingers beat an abacus all to hell. ;-)

    krw, Jul 30, 2007
  6. javawizard

    Klokmeester Guest

    It's an adding machine no less then a calculator is.

    or has a
    You obviously haven't seen Asians use the Abacus ;-)

    Klokmeester, Jul 30, 2007
  7. Now there's something you don't see, like only everyday

    Somebody trying to post information to advertise a credit card
    fraudsters web site.

    son of a bitch, Jul 30, 2007
  8. javawizard

    krw Guest

    Doesn't an abacus only keep digits? The beads certainly don't move
    themselves. ...not that I consider a calculator a computer either.
    Nope, I've never seen an Asian older than a finger. ;-)

    krw, Jul 30, 2007
  9. javawizard

    Sandgroper Guest

    Silly bugger , CROSS posting programming history to a group of computer
    newsgroups.
    Another fact is that the programming language ADA that is mainly used in US
    military applications and hardware is named after her .

    Sandgroper, Jul 30, 2007
  10. javawizard

    Sandgroper Guest

    Yeah , she probably even built the RodBot , that's why he sounds so old ,
    crusty and cantankerous.

    :)

    Sandgroper, Jul 30, 2007
  11. javawizard

    rf Guest

    Nope. The OP's link was, well, go look at it.

    GeekBoy changed the link to www.xxx-xxxx.com.invalid (without the invalid
    bit), probably a stupid thing to do as it is a live URL and of course leads
    to a porn site. He did, however, change it.

    rf, Jul 30, 2007
  12. Ah good point, though I tend to completely remove the link myself.

    Apologies to Geekboy.

    David Fairbrother, Jul 30, 2007
  13. javawizard

    GeekBoy Guest

    Computer:
    "A device or system that is capable of carrying out a sequence of operations
    in defined manner. The operations are frequently numeric computations or
    data manipulations, but also include data input and output."

    Well..that describes an Abacus,

    GeekBoy, Jul 30, 2007
  14. javawizard

    GeekBoy Guest

    Oops...I guess I forgot almost every single .com has been taken :p

    GeekBoy, Jul 30, 2007
  15. javawizard

    GeekBoy Guest

    Hey no problem..

    GeekBoy, Jul 30, 2007
  16. javawizard

    krw Guest

    No, the abacus doesn't "carry" anything out. The human pushing the
    beads does. Without the human there is no sequence, just a pile of
    beads on strings.

    krw, Jul 30, 2007
  17. javawizard

    rick++ Guest

    The term "computer" first applied to rooms of clerks who calculated by
    pencil,
    then by mechanical adders. At some point in the early 20th century
    most
    computers (the clerks) were female. Richard Feyman describes this one
    of his last books at Los Alamos where rooms of computers (the clerks)
    peformed
    simple difference equation calculations to determine bomb parameters.
    I recall a column in America Scientist (Brian Hayes?) about this too.

    A lot of this carried over to when computers (the machine) where
    invented.
    A female Grace Hopper was one of the three inventors of compilers in
    the
    mid-1950s.

    P.S. I suspect this a the reason computer science was not a
    recognized
    major at MIT and Stanford for several decades after they were
    invented.
    They were considered "trade school", "clerical", and implicitly
    womenly-
    much like typing. Stanford recognized computer science in the early
    70s
    and MIT added the name to the EE department in the late 70s. Before
    then
    you CS was a specialty minor in math, engineering, or business.
    Recently MIT proposed adding CS as a required course for a degree

    rick++, Jul 30, 2007
  18. javawizard

    Klokmeester Guest

    No different to a computer, on it's own it does nothing without being pushed
    to do something.

    Klokmeester, Jul 30, 2007
  19. javawizard

    GeekBoy Guest

    According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word "computer" was first
    used to describe a mechanical calculating device in 1897. Although the word
    existed previously, it had been used to describe "a person who computes or
    performs calculations."

    GeekBoy, Jul 30, 2007