THE STATE OF THE UNION

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Jenna Bush, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Jenna Bush

    Jenna Bush Guest

    THE STATE OF THE UNION

    Forget the speech full of empty promises, forget the media
    platitudes and ersatz adulations, forget wishful thinking.
    If you want to know the real state of the union, take a
    good look with your eyes.

    See the millions of unemployed, many with advanced college
    degrees? THAT is the state of the union.

    See the high-paying jobs flowing to other countries? THAT
    is the state of the union.

    See the dollar in decline and nothing left to arrest the
    fall? THAT is the state of the union.

    See corporate executives looting their own companies and
    then walking free? THAT is the state of the union.

    See the schools that lack basic supplies? THAT is the
    state of the union.

    See the closed emergency rooms? THAT is the state of the
    union.

    See the holes in the roads? THAT is the state of the
    union.

    See the rolling blackouts? THAT is the state of the union.

    See the defense budget bloat to half a trillion dollars?
    THAT is the state of the union.

    See the new nuclear weapons the US Government is building?
    THAT is the state of the union.

    See the billions in tax dollars pouring out to foreign
    governments? THAT is the state of the union.

    See the American women and children sleeping in alleys and
    eating out of trash dumpsters? THAT is the state of the
    union.

    See the empty storefronts and commercial vacancies? THAT
    is the state of the union.

    See the closed factories, the rusted foundries, and the
    abandoned mills? THAT is the state of the union.

    See the soaring bankruptcies and foreclosures? THAT is the
    state of the union.

    See the poverty and starvation? THAT is the state of the
    union.

    And then there are the things you don't see.

    You don't see those nuclear weapons Iraq was supposed to
    be building. But we invaded Iraq anyway. THAT is the state
    of the union.

    You don't see chemical or biological weapons we were all
    assured Saddam had. But we invaded Iraq anyway. THAT is
    the state of the union.

    And most of all you don't see the United States looked up
    to as a bastion of freedom, law, and democracy anymore.
    You don't see the United States looked upon as a moral
    leader anymore. You don't see the United States looked on
    as a leader in technology anymore.

    And THAT, my fellow Americans, is the real state of the
    union.

    Jenna Bush, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Dear Jenna,

    please stop making a fool of yourself and leave these nice folks alone so
    they can tend to giving the newbies noogies.

    George W. Bush
    President of The Free World
    "Now, where my Daddy!!"

    George W. Bush, Jan 23, 2004

  3. All talk and no solution. You must be a democrat.

    Politician Spock, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Jenna Bush

    Jtyc Guest

    See the millions of unemployed, many with advanced college
    How many times do I have to tell you people. Unemployment is at 5.7%.
    That is not high.

    Jtyc, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Jenna Bush

    Bliss Guest

    5% is not a high number, no, but when you consider the population...

    Not that I care. I have a job :)

    Bliss, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Jenna Bush

    Jtyc Guest

    5% is not a high number, no, but when you consider the population...

    I'm basing it off of history. There is always unemployment. Always. And
    historically, 5.7% is not a high rate.

    Jtyc, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Jenna Bush

    kpg Guest

    See the American women and children sleeping in alleys and
    That's not the state of the union, that's just the IT department.

    kpg, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Jenna Bush

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    where & how did they come up with 5.7%? how accurate is that
    figure?

    that is the question.

    --
    The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
    Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Jenna Bush

    Jtyc Guest

    where & how did they come up with 5.7%? how accurate is that
    It's from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. http://www.bls.gov.

    Jtyc, Jan 23, 2004
  10. Jenna Bush

    JaR Guest

    Well, another question is, how many have lost living wage jobs, and are now
    'employed' in part-time McJobs? How many have had their UE benefits run out
    and are no longer counted? What will happen to the job market when or if all
    thase troops come back from Iraq? There's more, but bottom line is I
    distrust that 5% figure from the get go.

    JaR
    Sceptical Thug

    JaR, Jan 23, 2004
  11. Jenna Bush

    Jtyc Guest

    Well, another question is, how many have lost living wage jobs, and are
    now
    Do you really think the economy is that bad?

    I think you might be confusing the slump in the IT business with a slump in
    the workforce as a whole.

    Jtyc, Jan 23, 2004
  12. Jenna Bush

    JaR Guest

    Yeah, I do! I work for a large auto dealership. Arguably the largest in our
    area. Our sales and service are at an all time low. In fact, if it wasn't
    for the trick financing and low interest rates, I doubt we'd be selling much
    at all. Even with the above, we are mostly selling high end stuff;
    Excursions, Infinitis, and the like. The average and low end cars like
    Tauruses, Ecorts, Sentras, etc just are not selling. What do I deduce from
    this? Proffesional people are taking advantage of the no to low interest to
    get new cars that they would buy anyway, but average people are simply not
    able or willing to part with the money. In my area, we have seen most of the
    manufacuring and hi-tech jobs go away. Wages are depressed because there are
    dozens, sometimes hundreds of applicants for every job. Not just in IT,
    either! A new Wal-mart just had a job fair and had over 2000 people show up!
    I personally know people who had $15-$20 hr jobs a few years ago now
    considering themselves lucky to have $7-$10 hr jobs now. No, they are not
    unemployed, but have lost homes, cars, and futures. Yes, until I see living
    wage jobs start coming back, I do consider the economy to be 'that bad'.

    JaR
    Ranting Thug

    JaR, Jan 23, 2004
  13. Jenna Bush

    billyw Guest

    a bit like you school thing.. all moan and no idea..

    billyw, Jan 23, 2004
  14. Jenna Bush

    billyw Guest

    it is if you are unemployed

    billyw, Jan 23, 2004
  15. Jenna Bush

    billyw Guest

    ah so you believe your gov. hahahahahahahahaha

    billyw, Jan 23, 2004
  16. Jenna Bush

    billyw Guest

    i would agree with this..
    on reports i've seen the US rich have better tax breaks.. your average is
    basically stuffed

    billyw, Jan 23, 2004
  17. Jenna Bush

    billyw Guest

    actually the low dollar may be a godsend...
    cut imports and generate exports for the US..

    what amazes me is that the US and EU are always arguing about trade... they
    really need to wake up and look at the wider picture..

    billyw, Jan 23, 2004
  18. Jenna Bush

    billyw Guest

    it's not only IT it's manufacturing. or anything else that actually makes
    things
    real things

    billyw, Jan 23, 2004
  19. You have to keep in mind that a few years ago venture capitalists were
    throwing money at any new business that had ".com" after their name. A lot
    of people who would normally have $7-10 hr jobs were able to get $15-20 hr
    jobs because the labor force was being spread so thin with all these new
    companies being funded by investments (in lieu of actual revenue). Granted
    some of the people you know today happy to just have a job making $7-10 hr
    today should probably have $15-20 hr jobs, but there are still people making
    $15-20 today that really shouldn't be because it costs to much to fire them
    and bring someone better qualified in. I can pop my head above the cubicle
    at work and count a dozen of those types just within shouting distance.
    It'll be a few years before the majority of this society is back in a pay
    rate they deserve. The "dot com" age was like a huge economic blender that
    will be years before the cream rises back to the top where it belongs.

    Politician Spock, Jan 23, 2004
  20. Jenna Bush

    kpg Guest

    It's the damn global economy. Jobs are moving around, things are changing.
    That's the way of the world. We must be agile enough and smart enough to
    adjust. Ther're aren't any buggy whip makers anymore either. What do you
    want me to do about it?

    kpg, Jan 23, 2004