    Any help is much appreciated as I've a PC doing nothing and I'm losing my
    mind.

    Regards.

    Guest, May 13, 2006

  2. You need to go to the source of your copy of XP x64 and the new PC. They'll
    be able to make sure that they've given you both the right media and the
    right key for your product.

    There are different product ID's for different versions of the product, and
    if the two aren't matched, you'll get this message.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi, Ok I'll do that, although I'm not sure what the supplier can do (apart
    from send me another) as it was shrink wrapped so COA/CD were together.

    Although it seems no matter what I put in for the product key it will give
    the same error.

    Guest, May 13, 2006
  4. Paul;
    Are you using the Product Key that came with that CD?
    There are different types of each and they are not compatible.

    Look very closely, S-5, O-0. G-6 and others look alike.
    Have someone else try, sometimes another set of eyes and fingers can get it
    right.

    Otherwise contact the seller.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 13, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi, yes I trippled checked, got the wife to check etc, I've searched the
    internet and saw the G-6, Q-O's etc, however it's oddball that it just doesnt
    say invalid key no matter what I put, it's always invalid Id, the hologram cd
    says OEM to be supplied with new computers only, as does the front of the dvd
    style casing, and the COA also says windows professional x64 OEM so :) I've
    mailed the shop I got it from but won't be Monday before I hear back so, I
    think I'm Mr Unlucky or something.

    Guest, May 13, 2006
  6. Just a hunch - what language versions are you having? I am thinking of
    keyboard incompatibilities in the early stages. Is your keyboard the same
    language as the Windows version, at this point of the installation?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 14, 2006
  7. Oh, good thought.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 14, 2006
  8. Thanks, Charlie.

    Yes, sitting in Denmark, I have seen/heard of this before, although
    personally I stick with the International versions for all my installations,
    and the Danish keybord doesn't remap the standard keys, so it's been a
    while.

    The German keyboard, conversely, remaps the 'z' and the 'x' (if I am not
    mistaken) this would be enough to create havoc.

    It is wise to remember, although given enough time to forget, we usually
    will.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 14, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi, the keyboard is UK/English (Microsoft) I could try using one of my other
    keyboards to see if it helps. Are there any other hardware items it may rely
    on or just the keyboard ? also do you know if there is anything o teh Cd that
    could help me identify what actual version it thinks it is ?

    Regards.

    Guest, May 14, 2006
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ok, seems that the label of the CD actually suggest it's a Volume licensed
    data, on a OEM disc, I'm majorly confused. Sent off another mail to the
    retailer asking for a replacement. Cheers.

    Guest, May 14, 2006
  11. No actual utility that I can think of, but you could try and boot your CD
    into 'Recovery Console' and type the command [ Ver ], that should tell you
    the version.

    If it does turn out to be a valid disc, trying another keyboard would make
    sense, dirty and worn equipment can produce the 'sticky keys' phenomenon -
    that can make typing a nightmaaaaaaaaaaaaare.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 14, 2006

  12. It means that you either have an invalid Product Key, or are misreading
    and/or mistyping a valid Product Key. Either way, the Key you've
    entered doesn't meet the criteria required by the installation CD's
    validation logarithm.

    That's correct.

    The Product *Key* is required to demonstrate the possession of a
    valid license during the installation, and is either stored on the CD
    packaging on a bright orange sticker that says "Do not lose this
    number," or is on a label affixed to an OEM computer.

    The Product *ID* is created during the installation process and is
    prominently displayed on the General Properties tab of the My Computer
    icon. It's primary use, with a retail license, is in registering for
    and facilitating support from Microsoft (for whatever that's worth).
    For an OEM license, the Product ID's purpose would be to tell Microsoft
    that you're not entitled to any free support, but must instead contact
    the computer manufacturer or vendor who sold you the OEM license.

    You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully easy
    to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5," or a "Q"
    for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense to leave
    the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation. Also, be sure
    that your <CapsLock> is _off_ while entering the Product Key -- this
    isn't supposed to make a difference, but I've seen it do so, on rare
    occasions.

    Troubleshooting Invalid CD Key Error Message During Windows XP Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637

    If all else fails, contact the vendor for a new Product Key.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, May 14, 2006
  13. Guest

    Vanguard Guest

    What do you actually see that infers to you that the copy you got is for
    a volume licensed version? "Corporate" versions are pirated versions.
    The seller buys a volume license and then slices up the licenses by
    making copies (sometimes very good copies) to resell but that is
    illegal. All licenses within a volume license are to be used within the
    same organization (like a company or school), not resold to outsiders of
    that organization.

    So just WHO is this seller of yours? You said you got a new computer
    and also got Windows XP 64. So did you get them together or did you buy
    them separately and possibly from different sellers?

    Vanguard, May 14, 2006
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, May 14, 2006
  15. I install to English-Canadian, but the keyboard is still US. So I won't ever
    hit a problem with a standard US version. The UK keyboard is a bit
    different, though and might be the source.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 14, 2006
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 14, 2006
  17. Yes, this conforms with my understanding, but the US version is not sold
    outside the NA continent, I believe. It is the UK version that is the
    standard international product. Or so it is labeled here.

    Usually, this should not be any problem, but if you loose your setup it is
    frequently tricky when typing passwords (since you cannot see what you are
    typing) and drive designations to system commands, since punctuation like
    underscores and slashes ( I need to use my group key to get to that one )
    are a total shambles when you check different keyboard lay-outs. I had an
    original IBM keyboard for many years, but it disappeared when moving to a
    new appartment ( the only item that went missing, naturally! ) and I've very
    nearly cried myself to sleep ever since. Why doesn't anybody build a decent
    keyboard anymore?

    [sigh. . .]

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 14, 2006
  18. Hello Paul,
    If you send me the key I can attempt to check to see if it for an X64 OEM
    install or not.
    Remove the online from email address.
    Charlie can vouch that I am with Microsoft.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bFQ=?= <>
    <Subject: Re: "The product Id you entered is not valid" Xp x64 Pro
    <Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 13:35:01 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    <
    <> You need to go to the source of your copy of XP x64 and the new PC.
    They'll
    <> be able to make sure that they've given you both the right media and the
    <> right key for your product.
    <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 14, 2006
  19. Yup, he really is. Take advantage of the offer - Darrell has been quite
    helpful to all of us here. I was hoping he'd look in and spot this thread,
    since he's the only regular who has access to actually checking this.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2006
  20. There are decent keyboards (US only, I'm afraid). They are clones of the
    Northgate keyboard I used 15 years ago, and that I still use.
    http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/menu.htm - they're seriously
    overpriced, but no one makes a better keyboard. I've still got two working
    Northgate OmniKey 102's left, but my others have all been replaced by Avant
    Stellar keyboards as the Northgates have slowly died. Givent that they're
    volumes for their longevity. And the feel? Nothing even close, except those
    old IBMs. These weigh in at about the same weight as well - over 2.2 Kg.
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2006