    Bratboy Guest

    Pst... been out for about 2 months, Mar 22, 2005 to be exact. Unfortunatly
    its only avail in 4:3 aspect so I donna want it myself.

    Bratboy, May 16, 2005

  2. Bratboy

    Justin Guest

    That's how it was broadcast...

    Justin, May 16, 2005

  3. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    I know that the show was broadcast that way, doesnt change the fact that I
    prefer WS sets so this one was off my list is all. Is also why I do not own
    Buffy, Angel and a few other sets avail only in 4:3.

    Bratboy, May 16, 2005
  4. Bratboy

    Justin Guest

    Bratboy wrote on [Mon, 16 May 2005 13:56:48 -0600]:
    That seems to be the same logic as people who prefer P&S and fullscreen
    use. Content is content, presentation shouldn't matter as long as it's
    kept to the original format

    Justin, May 16, 2005
  5. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    Not really. I watched them when they were shown and other than 1-2 episodes
    from the shows once was enough whereas many shows were broadcast in 4:3 but
    were filmed in WS, for example some of the SG-1's and shows like Monk. Those
    I find worth rewatching more. P&S of shows like Buffy n angel I can see
    daily on various channels so there is no appeal to buy the shows on disc,
    for me at least

    Bratboy, May 16, 2005
  6. Bratboy

    jayembee Guest

    Not only was that how it was broadcast originally, that's how it was meant to be
    seen.
    Yes, really. Justin's point is that people who prefer P&S just want their TV
    screens filled and don't care what ratio the filmmakers intended the work to be
    seen in.

    Your'e the same way. You apparently don't care what ratio it was meant to be
    seen in, you just want it in a particular shape.

    True, but THE PRETENDER isn't one of them. It was composed for 4x3. it was
    shot in 4x3, and it was broadcast in 4x3. It was never intended to be seen in
    16x9.
    I find shows worth rewatching the way that they were intended to be seen.
    The appeal is being able to watch them on *your* schedule, not the TV stations,
    as well as seeing them unedited and without commercials or stations logos or
    pop-up screen bugs.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, May 17, 2005
  7. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    Your missing or twisting my point. You compare me to the ppl that want
    everything in P&S no mastter what OAR was and say I'm the same with WS and
    that just isnt the case. Im not saying they should remat the 4:3 stuff so
    its WS for me to buy it. I want things in OAR, which I think is resonable.
    Just because Im not interested in buying the shows I mentioned in this
    thread doesnt mean I don't buy P&S as I have many collections that are P&S I
    just didnt care about purchasing this one or some of the others. Why make me
    out to be a bad person for not wanting THIS particular set? I really was
    just letting the OP know the sets been out a cpl months not new so they
    could do a little shoping to make sure they get the best price.

    Bratboy, May 17, 2005
  8. Bratboy

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    But that's not what you said. At least IMHO.
    "Pst... been out for about 2 months, Mar 22, 2005 to be exact.
    Unfortunatly its only avail in 4:3 aspect so I donna want it myself."
    This seems to say that the reason you don't want it is that it's 4:3.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, May 17, 2005
  9. Bratboy

    no Guest

    30 at amazon

    no, May 17, 2005
  10. Ah - then all they need are moveable shutters on the TV set.

    I remember when WS films first came out, and theatres had curtains
    that protected the screen before the films started. [I don't recall
    the last time I've seen curtains in a theatre].

    For the 1.33:1 films the curtains would pull back partway, and for
    the full WS they would go back the rest of the way.

    The WS formatted Fantasia released in the 1950s was in a theatre
    that was equiped that way.

    The screen started out in 1.33:1, and then when the went to the
    reformatted version the screens pulled out the rest of the way.

    For years I thought Fantasia was one of the first WS films from
    seeing the first time that way, and then I became educated :)

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, May 17, 2005
  11. Bratboy

    Michael B. Guest

    Actually, the Sony theaters at Lincoln Center in NY have curtains for
    their films. The movie theater is designed after old time movie
    theaters with balcony and all.

    Michael B., May 17, 2005
  12. The last time I was in a balcony seat was a jillion years ago.
    Loew's Capital in NYC for the first weeks showing of 2001.
    There is something magic about seeing a film with 2000+ people in
    the audience. And no one had a hint that film was to become
    a classic.

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, May 17, 2005
  13. Bratboy

    Black Locust Guest

    Bonus features, like audio commentary on select episodes is a big plus
    for me as well. I also find that virtually all DVD transfers of tv
    series look better than their broadcast versions. I don't know if that's
    due to the higher resolution or that the signal from a DVD player is
    stronger than that of a cable line, but it's definitely quite noticable.
    I can barely stand to watch TV shows via broadcast anymore. DVD is just
    so much better.

    Black Locust, May 21, 2005
  14. Bratboy

    dvdguy2 Guest

    How about all of the new shows broadcast in both 4:3 and 1.77 in the
    very same episode?

    that is, constantly switching back and forth between 4:3 and 1.77 in the
    very same episode?

    I have seen several different tv series do this now.

    and there isn't any way I can set my widescreen tv set appropriately for
    these new muliple aspect ratio tv series.

    if in 1.77 mode, the 4:3 portions of the episodes are cropped, cutting
    out information intended to be seen in the show.

    and if in 4:3 mode, the 1.77 portions of the episodes are windowboxed on
    my widescreen tv, which will cause burn in.

    but even without burn in, I end up either having to watch the 1.77
    portions of the episode windowboxed on my widescreen tv (when tv is in
    4:3 mode)'' or

    I end up having to watch the 4:3 portions of the very same episodes
    cropped and losing information intended to be seen (when tv is in 1.77
    mode).

    What do I do?

    4:3 shows are okay.

    1.77 shows are okay.

    But what do I do to properly watch all of these new multiple aspect
    ratio tv series on a widescreen tv?

    dvdguy2, May 31, 2005
  15. Bratboy

    dvdguy2 Guest

    wrote: presentation shouldn't mattter as long as it's kept to the
    original format.

    okay, wiseguy. How do I keep all of the new multiple aspect ratio tv
    series to their original format when viewed on a 1.77 widescreen tv
    sets?

    These are the shows that keep constantly switching between 4:3 and 1.77
    ratios in the very same episode.

    tv set to 1.77 mode, the top and bottom of the 4:3 portions of the
    episodes are cropped out on 1.77 widescreen sets.

    tv set to 4:3 mode, the 1.77 portions of the episodes are window boxed
    on 1.77 widescreen sets.

    dvdguy2, May 31, 2005
  16. Bratboy

    dvdguy2 Guest

    okay wiseguy. so how do I rewatch the multiple aspect ratio
    entertainment tv series the way they were intended to be seen when
    watching on a 1.77 widescreen tv set?

    the ones that keep constantly switching back and forth between 4:3and
    1.77 during the whole episode

    I find it impossible to do so.

    dvdguy2, May 31, 2005
  17. Bratboy

    dvdguy2 Guest

    the rocky and bullwinkle dvd sets do have bugs on them as well as a
    number of other dvd's.

    so what's the appeal of dvd again?

    dvdguy2, May 31, 2005
  18. Bratboy