    Point is, it doesn't imply you bought it.
    Keep telling yourself that, Tony.
    My irony meter just exploded.

    Sandman, Mar 10, 2014

  2. Sandman

    Whisky-dave Guest

    The only haircut you can purchase here in east london is called a Syrup ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Mar 10, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    So you've now been reduced to creative snippage to weasel away.

    I wrote: "That's your problem. You make mistakes in what we actually
    call things, but this isn't about what anything is called. We call it
    a haircut. Your mistake was in the verb, not the noun."

    So you snipped the haircut reference and turned it into a Photoshop
    reference. You snipped the "this isn't about what anything is called"
    and went to the verb "buy".

    That's cheating, and dishonest.

    Oh. The exact opposite of "a monetary transaction" is not free? What,
    in Sweden you barter for haircuts and trade meatballs for services or
    summat?
    You've snipped, but the book reference countered your comment that
    "I got an haircut" "actually implies the exact opposite of a monetary
    transaction".

    Now you're saying it doesn't imply you bought it. This shows you
    don't understand the meaning of "imply". The phrase
    "I got" is neutral; there are no implications in the phrase. It's
    just a different way of saying "I obtained".

    You may infer that a haircut or a book was purchased in a monetary
    transaction, but "I got..." does not imply anything.

    What new dishonesty will you employ next?

    Tony Cooper, Mar 10, 2014
  4. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The going price range for a man's haircut in this area is $12 to $15.
    There are places that charge more, but a $29 haircut would be very
    much out-of-line.

    Of course, we add a tip to the charge, so a $15 haircut is $17 or $18
    out-of-pocket.

    Tony Cooper, Mar 10, 2014
  5. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Haircuts in Sweden are easily $40 for a normal guy. We have 25% VAT
    included in price, but still.

    Sandman, Mar 11, 2014
  6. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    This is rich, the master snipper whines about parts of a paragraph was left
    out since it wasn't replied to. You made a statement that was incorrect:

    "You make mistakes in what we actually call things"

    Since I have made no such mistake, I responded explaining that. Me snipping
    out the rest of the passage doesn't change that claim from you, or remove
    context that changes its meaning.
    You put quotation marks around a word that was not quoted from my post. I
    just wanted to clarify that I didn't say the word you quoted.
    Which I've since modified, as per above, so any further comments regarding
    those somewhat poorly chosen words are dismissed as reading comprehension
    problems on your part.
    Again, incorrect. Just making the same claim over and over again doesn't
    make you correct, Tony.
    I know.
    Which is why I said the very same thing.

    Sandman, Mar 11, 2014
  7. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    how much for those who aren't normal?

    Guest, Mar 11, 2014
  8. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Women usually pay a lot more. I run a trimmer on my head, so I don't pay
    anything :)

    Sandman, Mar 11, 2014
  9. Sandman

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Ah you're talking about a hair "cut" I was talking about sandmans use of the word buy. Here and I suppose in most counties you can buy things called wigs, toupas, hair pieces etc. In east london they can be referred to as Syrup(s)

    cockney slang for wigs comes from syrup of figs ... wigs.

    Whisky-dave, Mar 11, 2014
  10. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    My wife pays more than that. But, younger daughter has been know to pay
    several hundred. She uses a traveling French hairdresser, and makes her
    appointments months in advance.

    PeterN, Mar 11, 2014