The Photoshop Family

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Feb 12, 2014.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Sure you do.
    Even if I'll play along with that - it's pretty ironic that you clung on to
    just one examples, while ignoring the concept of buying a subscription.
    It's your typical trolling tactic, if you find something to nitpick on, you
    will go all in on that and ignore everything else. That said;

    <http://www.supplymanagement.com/analysis/features/2010/how-to-buy-consultancy>
    "How to buy consultancy".

    Must be written by someone not proficient in English.

    <http://www.hingemarketing.com/library/article/how_buyers_buy_management_consulting_services>
    "How Buyers Buy Management Consulting Services"

    Double whammy

    That said, again, I agree that "buy consultion from a lawyer" is a bit far
    fetched as far as how commonly used it is. But consultation is a service,
    and you buy services, so the word buy is no less apt to actually use, even
    if it rarely is.
    hire
    verb
    obtain the temporary use of something for an agreed payment
    Again, keep running from all the perfectly valid examples, even if one
    wasn't a perfect match.
    "it's not the same" .... "except"... What thin ice you're treading, Tony.
    In both cases you purchase the right to use a service. There is no real
    difference.
    You didn't pay to get a disc, you paid to get the program. The disk was
    just the means of distribution. The manner of distribution has no bearing
    on the discussion. It's a misleading diversion on your part - since you
    actually *DID* own the physical disc you got delivered. Adobe couldn't
    claim ownership and have it revoked and come get it from you. The physical
    disc was yours, you owned it. But you didn't pay for the disc, you paid for
    the program that was *on* the disc, something you *didn't* own.
    Just as CC. There is no difference other than the one you want to invent.
    No one but you have used the phrase "buy a lawyer" in this diuscussion.

    You buy services, services are performed by people. You don't buy people.
    Stop trying to divert the topic all the time.

    <http://www.royalmail.com/general-correspondence/uk-delivery/how-to-buy-our-services>

    Sandman, Mar 7, 2014

  2. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    I'm sure you forgot to add a point here. I was in reference to the topic
    under discussion and told you what it was about. If you want to talk about
    some other topic, then I suggest that you start a new thread to avoid
    confusion (and avoid being corrected all the time).

    Sandman, Mar 7, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Troll roadkill, yet again.

    Sandman, Mar 7, 2014
  4. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Deciphering is into...... ;-)

    PeterN, Mar 7, 2014
  5. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    You have stated that this thread is about the "veracity of the term
    'buy' when purchasing things they can't own".

    But you also say that it's not about people who think they 'own'
    Photoshop.

    You don't see the great, gaping hole in your logic here? That a
    perfect example of people who think they own something that they
    bought is the person who followed the "Buy" trail on an Adobe website
    and think they own Photoshop?

    The "topic under discussion" is Photoshop. It says so right in the
    Subject line.

    Tony Cooper, Mar 7, 2014
  6. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I don't feel obligated to reply to each and every point in a post,
    especially when the points are mostly repetitions of the same theme.

    If you want buying a subscription discussed, I'll add that.

    When you buy a subscription you are purchasing something that will
    result in something tangible: a magazine, a newspaper, or - in the
    case of Adobe's CC line - access to a program than you can physically
    use.

    You don't get anything tangible from a consultation with a lawyer.

    Now, I know you...you're going to say that the lawyer will provide you
    with a will, a lease, or some other tangible paper document. But,
    that's not what a consultation with a lawyer results in.

    That's because you have chosen the wrong word. In American English
    (you have used "lawyer", not "solicitor" or "advokat") a consultation
    is a preliminary verbal discussion with a lawyer. To get that
    tangible piece of paper, you need to hire or engage the services of
    the lawyer. It's a step beyond the consultation.

    You will find other uses of the word "consultation", and situations
    where consultations result in something tangible, but you have
    specifically narrowed the field to "consultation with a lawyer".

    You can go two ways from here. You can continue to argue, and
    continue to be shot down, or you can just mentally file away the
    knowledge that the use of "buy a consultation with a lawyer" has a
    different meaning than you think it has and drop the subject.

    Your choice.

    Tony Cooper, Mar 7, 2014
  7. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    i don't have to prove a thing. i'm using words how everyone (other than
    you) use them.

    if you are going be an anal retentive pinhead, then you ought to put
    your money where your mouth is and get adobe and other companies to do
    what you want them to do.

    Guest, Mar 8, 2014
  8. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    only a couple of people have trouble.
    if you think adobe is misleading the public, then you ought to file a
    complaint.

    so tell us, which software companies say 'license' in clear obvious
    language on their website or other marketing materials?

    now compare that number (which will likely be zero or very close to it)
    with the companies that say 'buy' or 'purchase'.

    Guest, Mar 8, 2014
  9. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    i'm not carrying on about anything.

    when others criticize me, i'm going to point out just how much of an
    anal retentive pinhead they are.

    in some cases, they make that very easy.
    doubtful, but nevertheless, when can we see adobe implement the change?

    or are you just full of shit, as usual?

    Guest, Mar 8, 2014
  10. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    this is usenet. not an official legal document.
    that's an understatement if ever there was one.

    the least you could is get a spell checker.

    Guest, Mar 8, 2014
  11. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Actually, I was wrong. It is easier to find Adobe license information
    than I thought. Going to an Elements site, I found this:

    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search...ments&ef_id=UoJTQQAABT5JHwvu:20140308003851:s

    NIK has it in clear and obvious form and language on their website:
    https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/3000889?hl=en&ref_topic=3000839

    OnOne has it in clear and obvious form and language on their website:
    http://www.ononesoftware.com/suppor...=support_cats&taxonomy=support_tags&s=license

    With all three, you have to drill a little bit. All use "Buy" on the
    their main product page.

    Tony Cooper, Mar 8, 2014
  12. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Another airline survey?
    Why, I am not complaining.

    PeterN, Mar 8, 2014
  13. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Why should i bother. If you pay me enough, then I might consider the
    case. But, your deliberate use of ambiguous words allows you to weasel
    out of the times when you are clearly wrong.

    PeterN, Mar 8, 2014
  14. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Why, everybody understands what I say.

    PeterN, Mar 8, 2014
  15. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Very good, Andreas.
    Because there is none. The two sentences above are not contradictory.

    1. It's about how fitting the word "buy" is for soemthing you can't own
    2. It's NOT about people that think they "own" Photoshop.

    Only a complete retard would actually even consider that those two concepts
    were contradictory.
    Of course not, since the word "buy" doesn't imply ownership other than in
    physical goods. As the many examples have shown you, you can buy many
    things you can't own.

    Sandman, Mar 8, 2014
  16. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    You're buying a subscription.
    Well, rent is usually in relation to physical objects, where the owner lets
    somebody use something in exchange for payment. Like a car or apartment.
    Why the quotation marks? You are buying it. There is no question about
    whether or not you've bought something, the (possible) confusion may be
    just exactly *what* you bought and also the possible confusion that some
    think that the word "buy" implies ownership. It doesn't.

    Sandman, Mar 8, 2014
  17. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Hehe, you don't feel the need to reply to each point - but you'll gladly
    cling on to the single one you can find the smallest nitpick with.

    And you choose to ignore my entire post yet again, what a trolling tactic.

    <snip in return>

    Sandman, Mar 8, 2014
  18. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    using buy on the main page is the point.

    obviously if you drill you can find the exact terms.

    Guest, Mar 8, 2014
  19. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    bullshit.

    Guest, Mar 8, 2014
  20. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    exactly my point. you're full of shit.
    you're the one who wants it fixed, not me. put your money where your
    mouth is and get them to fix it.
    i'm not using ambiguous words. stop lying.

    you, on the other hand...

    Guest, Mar 8, 2014