    Whisky-dave Guest

    It's obviousy to them, but not necessarily correct.
    Which is why they think they can have duplicate copies and give it to freiends family and anyonelse they want to.

    Whisky-dave, Mar 7, 2014

  2. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    No "text", not "test".

    Tony Cooper, Mar 7, 2014

  3. I wish Adobe good luck in suing someone in Cuba, tho' I suppose they
    might be able to send an "upgrade" that destroys a user's installed copy.

    James Silverton, Mar 7, 2014
  4. Sandman

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, Mar 7, 2014
  5. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    buy
    verb
    - obtain in exchange for payment
    But it is still being bought. You use the word "buy" because you are buying
    something.
    I.e. people proficient in English then. When you buy consultation from a
    lawyer, do you "own" that consultation in any tangible way? When you buy a
    cable TV subscription, do you own the TV programs?

    This is how the word works. The word "buy" doesn't imply ownership in all
    occasions. Most goods you buy means that ownership is transferred, but when
    it comes to anything but physical objects, you can rarely "own" it even
    after you bought it. Buy a membership at the gym - what is it that you
    "own"? What is transferred to you but an allowance to use the gym. You
    can't "own" that.

    own
    - verb
    have (something) as one's own; possess

    I.e., to own something, you need to possess it. You can't "possess" the
    cleanliness of your home, but you can buy the service of having it cleaned.
    This is not about people that think they "own" Photoshop in any capacity,
    it's about the veracity of the term "buy" when purchasing things you can't
    own.
    This would only be a problem if these supposed people also tried to sell
    the software, in which case the serial number wouldn't actually work for
    the new user. With physical Photoshop, this wasn't true until recently -
    you could sell your photoshop copy and send along the serial number with
    it. So what you "owned" was a serial number, which had monetary value, and
    could be resold.

    Since the license is now attached to your Adobe ID, you can no longer sell
    this value.

    Sandman, Mar 7, 2014
  6. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    they did.

    Guest, Mar 7, 2014
  7. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    completely different matter.

    Guest, Mar 7, 2014
  8. Sandman

    Whisky-dave Guest

    The dictionary is there to tell us how words.
    Is that so difficult for you to understand ?

    When I go to the adobe site the first word I see is Join.

    So are they asking me to join thier adobe team ?
    Whn joining things you put 2 or more things together don't you.

    I know it's not your native langauge but even so you should relsie that theEnglish langauge is not specifialy designed so that one word on it's own always has a specific meaning.
    Love is probbaly one of the most intersting words, soem may say teh love adobe products some may say they love apple kit others love their cat or dog some even love their wives, some love other peoples lives while others lovea kebab aftere a few good beers.
    Another is the word brother.

    But of course one of the most confusing is teh right americans say they have to wear sleevless shirts !

    Whisky-dave, Mar 7, 2014
  9. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    We don't "buy consultation from a lawyer" here in the US. No American
    would use that construction. No American, on hearing/seeing that
    phrase, would think it was written by someone proficient in English.

    We consult with a lawyer and we know we may pay a fee for doing so,
    although many lawyers advertise "free consultation". We say we've
    hired a lawyer or engaged a lawyer.

    This is an example of where you go wrong when you find a perfectly
    legitimate definition of a word (buy = obtain in exchange for payment)
    and try to apply it where it is not applicable or idiomatic in the
    context. It results in a usage that screams "Written by a non-native
    speaker of English".
    To use a favorite weasel of nospam's: "no one said that". A
    discerning reader would understand that what was pointed out is that
    Adobe uses "buy" without explaining up front that this is a situation
    where what is being bought is a license to use and not title. And,
    what is being pointed out is that this may mislead some to think they
    have title unless they pre-read the EULA.

    The cable TV example is not at all the same. In the case of Adobe,
    the buyer receives something physical except for the CC products. In
    the past, it was a disk and a program installed on their computer. In
    the more recent past, it was a just program on their computer obtained
    by download. There was a one-time cost and perpetual use.

    The misconception is less possible when a subscription is involved
    because it is understood that a subscription is a temporary access to
    something as long as that access is paid for and the source remains
    available. The cable TV subscription is temporary access in the same
    way.

    As a related explanation to the lawyer issue, when we use "buy" or
    "bought" in conjunction with a person, it is usually a negative
    statement indicating some illegality or shady practice. If you say
    you are going to "buy a lawyer", you mean you are going to bribe the
    lawyer to do something to your benefit that is either illegal or
    unethical.

    Tony Cooper, Mar 7, 2014
  10. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    There you go again with the "This is not about...". I don't know
    where you think you are, but this a newsgroup forum wherein people
    initiate threads and add comments and new aspects to extant threads.

    You are responding to my post, and I will decide what my post is
    about. You are free to do the same. I did not say "This is not about
    gym memberships" in my reply to you. I accepted it, but disagreed
    that the observation was pertinent.

    Tony Cooper, Mar 7, 2014
  11. Sandman

    Guest Guest

    more word games. it's obvious what he meant.
    the vast majority of users say buy (or bought) when referring to
    software. i've never heard anyone say "i'm going to license [software
    product]". they always say buy.

    Guest, Mar 7, 2014
  12. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Mar 7, 2014
  13. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Oh, sure. And, to use your weasel phrase, "no one said it wasn't".

    Jonas is one to argue word use, so it's entirely appropriate to join
    in. He wants to tell me "how the word works", so it's appropriate to
    tell him how the word doesn't work.

    You rely quite a bit on people deciphering what you say into what you
    mean, but that's really not the best way to go about it.
    Once again, "no one said they don't" (use "buy"). What was said is
    that it's understandable that some might think they are buying title
    and not just buying a license to use. Adobe misleads by not being up
    front about this, but it really doesn't result in a problem for many
    buyers of the license.

    Tony Cooper, Mar 7, 2014
  14. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    When you are called out on a misstatement it's always "inconsequential."
    If so, why did you carry on about it when I ointed it out to you.
    I have better contacts there than you might think.

    PeterN, Mar 7, 2014
  15. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    No real money, no incentive.

    PeterN, Mar 7, 2014
  16. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    My experience in writing tax opinions in connection with offering
    statements, and drafting and reviewing acquisition agreements, prevents
    me from accepting the expression: "every on knows whaat is meant by...."
    I have also won quite a few actions wher the other side ws careless with
    language.
    Having said that, I will be the firt to admit that when posting here I
    do not rview my grammar and usage carefully.

    PeterN, Mar 7, 2014
  17. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/7/2014 10:46 AM, James Silverton wrote:

    That clause is in the EULA, to keep Adobe in compliance with
    restrictions of exportation of software.

    PeterN, Mar 7, 2014
  18. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Always?
    It the meaning was ALWAYS clear there would be no need for this:
    <http://www.irs.gov/publications/p946/index.html>

    PeterN, Mar 7, 2014
  19. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    It is interesting that nospam referred me to an Adobe site to prove he
    meant "buy," as opposed to "license."

    PeterN, Mar 7, 2014
  20. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    How words... what?
    Yes, your above sentence was very hard to understand.

    I'm still waiting for you to quote me saying that no one was talking about
    price - you know the claim you've run away from now.

    <snip rest of incoherence>

    Sandman, Mar 7, 2014