    goes step-by-step about doing different things is really good.

    If you're using Photoshop and want to know how to do photograph-specific
    types of tasks, give some serious consideration to picking up this book.

    Ed E., Feb 5, 2004

  2. Ed E.

    Jim Waggener Guest

    If you're using Photoshop and want to know how to do photograph-specific
    thanks for the tip Ed. I have been disappointed with some of the PS books I
    have bought.
    Hope that one is better

    Jim

    Jim Waggener, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Ed E.

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Better yet get Katrine Eismann's book "Photoshop Restoration and
    Retouching". She actually is a photoshop expert and has also been giving
    courses in the program for years. Kelby is pretty limited in his abilities
    and his writing is abysmal.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Ed E.

    Linda_N Guest

    I have both books (along with 20 or so others on PS, photography and graphic
    design) and by far Katrin's book is the best for getting a full
    understanding of photo restoration and straight correction. It is evident
    that she knows PS inside out. Kelby is purely kindergarten in my opinion. If
    you buy through Amazon.com or Amazon.ca you will get it a lot cheaper than
    you can in B&N, Chapers/Indigo etc.. (or at least it was a lot cheaper [$20
    off cover] when I purchased mine).

    Linda.

    Linda_N, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Ed E.

    KBob Guest

    ....and be sure to get the new second edition of her book.

    KBob, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Ed E.

    Peter Booth Guest

    Does anyone know if the additions to her book are available separately?
    Thanks Pete

    Peter Booth, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Ed E.

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Friends tell me I should upgrade my copy to the second edition - I probably
    will once I upgrade Photoshop. Mz Eismann is the experts expert.

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Ed E.

    brenkert Guest

    I'd highly recommend this book (2nd edition), too.

    Ms. Eismann has written a -free- addendum to the 2nd edition, covering the
    new/different tools and various operations in PSCS. It's a 44-page PDF and is
    available for download from her site. Sorry, I don't have the URL handy but a
    quick Google on the books title will soon get you there.

    My only 'complaint' about the addendum is many of the screen-caps of the various
    dialog boxes and their settings are really awful. Many barely readable. Small
    point, I guess, but I was a bit disappointed. Her always understandable writing,
    and vast knowledge of the subject, makes the operations clear, so not much is
    'lost'. :)

    Brenkert

    brenkert, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Ed E.

    Linda_N Guest

    Here is the url:
    http://www.digitalretouch.org/

    Linda.

    Linda_N, Feb 6, 2004
  10. Ed E.

    Ed E. Guest

    Looks like I'll have to pick up this second book then, too. If it's truly
    better than Kelby's, then it has to be nothing short of incredible. I know
    that some others may not appreciate his method of teaching, but it worked
    very well for me.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Ed E., Feb 6, 2004
  11. Ed E.

    Linda_N Guest

    Ed, you might want to download the sample chapters she posts on her website
    so you can sample her indepth explanations. If you loved Scott's do this do
    that style you may not like Katrin's detailed descriptions of why (and when)
    you want to use certain features. Trying before you buy is a perfect way to
    find out if you will like her style as well, and that way you will not spend
    your money and be mad at me for suggesting it hahaha.

    Linda.

    Linda_N, Feb 6, 2004
  12. Ed E.

    Bob Bobsen Guest

    Hi all,
    As a newbie (there I've said it, its out of the bag), does Photoshop
    Restoration and Retouching second edition have to do more with the
    newer photoshop (CS) than the previous versions?. I have PS7 and am
    wondering if this book will benefit the users of 'older' versions of
    PS or is mostly for the newer version of PS.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bobsen

    Bob Bobsen, Feb 7, 2004
  13. Ed E.

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Bob Bobsen
    2nd edition of Katrin's book came out prior to CS so it only covers up thru V
    7. The first edition only up to V 6.

    There's a pdf on her website with some tips on CS, as an addendum.

    Bill Hilton, Feb 7, 2004
  14. Ed E.

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 7, 2004
  15. Ed E.

    Bob Bobsen Guest

    Thanks for the info....
    Regards,
    Bobsen

    Bob Bobsen, Feb 7, 2004
  16. Ed E.

    KBob Guest

    Kelby's book is unique in that it first presents simple
    straightforward methods, then often follows these with "advanced"
    versions of the same operations. A lot of the material is basic, but
    most long-time users of Photoshop should discover valuable tips
    nevertheless. Also there's no need to spend $40 for it, since you can
    find several re-sellers that offer it for $28, maybe even less.

    Another worthwhile item I now see on the bookshelves is "Adobe
    Photoshop: Selections, Vectors and Transformations" (printed in
    England). It's only $12.95 USD and comes with a CD containing video
    tutorials. Much of the content of this would be considered advanced.
    It also appears to be the beginning of a series of these, with a
    similar volume "Enhancing Photos" to be offered in March.

    KBob, Feb 7, 2004