The Petzval lense

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Aug 22, 2013.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    They just about manages to hit their goal of $100,000 ... about 13 times
    over, in one month!

    <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomography-petzval-po
    rtrait-lens/>

    45 hours to go, then the project will start for real. They've put up
    some test shots the last few days, like this f2.2 one:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_15_aperture_2-8.jpg>

    Which isn't really all that sharp in the middle, but that was part of a
    aperture testing series. Here's another one:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_14_canon-5d_closeup.jpg>

    Which quite nicely captures the iconic petzval effect. These are test
    units and they're apparently tweaking them all the time. Here is one
    where sharpness can be judged:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_14_portrait_lens.jpg>

    It's not a supersharp lens by any stretch of the imagination. Another
    full resolution image:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_14_canon-5d_bird.jpg>

    This is an amazing shot, and I love this effect, but again, it's not all
    that sharp in the center.

    A DX shot:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_14_nikon-d3200_street.jpg>

    Very blurry.

    I don't need it to be super sharp, but I would want it to be sharper
    than this. I don't know if they've used live view when focusing.

    Anyway, exciting lens!

    Sandman, Aug 22, 2013

  2. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    Thanks for posting the links.
    I've seen examples (mostly c-mount on m4/3) of lenses that exhibit that kind of comatic bokeh and are reasonably sharp centrally when used on a 2x crop sensor. It's an interesting effect.
    But what kind of intrigues me is the rack and pinion focuser which could be applied to many longer focal length lenses. Most focusers on small telescopes now are Crayford, which don't have a rack/pinion and use friction.

    RichA, Aug 23, 2013