The Petzval lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Aug 22, 2013.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    They just about manages to hit their goal of $100,000 ... about 13 times
    over, in one month!

    <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomography-petzval-po
    rtrait-lens/>

    45 hours to go, then the project will start for real. They've put up
    some test shots the last few days, like this f2.2 one:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_15_aperture_2-8.jpg>

    Which isn't really all that sharp in the middle, but that was part of a
    aperture testing series. Here's another one:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_14_canon-5d_closeup.jpg>

    Which quite nicely captures the iconic petzval effect. These are test
    units and they're apparently tweaking them all the time. Here is one
    where sharpness can be judged:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_14_portrait_lens.jpg>

    It's not a supersharp lens by any stretch of the imagination. Another
    full resolution image:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_14_canon-5d_bird.jpg>

    This is an amazing shot, and I love this effect, but again, it's not all
    that sharp in the center.

    A DX shot:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_14_nikon-d3200_street.jpg>

    Very blurry.

    I don't need it to be super sharp, but I would want it to be sharper
    than this. I don't know if they've used live view when focusing.

    Anyway, exciting lens!

    Sandman, Aug 22, 2013

  2. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    And viewing another sample, with f11:

    <http://cdn.lomography.com/downloads/kickstarter/lomography-petzval-kicks
    tarter_update_15_aperture_16.jpg>

    It's obviously sharper, so the question remains if the large aperture
    blurs the images this much or if they just didn't manage to focus it
    properly.

    Sandman, Aug 22, 2013