    a good way to avoid this rare but annoying behavior? Does playing an MP3 put
    a strain on the system... is it a bug... should I be using Winamp instead?
    Just curious...

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 30, 2005

  2. If you want to try WinAmp, a new version of WinAmp just went up today. If
    you get error messages try deselecting WAV/VOC/AU/AIFF during the
    installation. (This the advice for x64 on the WinAmp forums regarding
    previous builds).

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Dennis -- I do NOT see this on the Ferrari at all. I've got 5 Terminal
    sessions open, Outook, OE, excel, 3 word documents, a remote VS session, a
    couple of images open, 10 web pages in 32 bit IE, and anther 5 in 64-bit IE,
    and I've been listening to some serious music as I work on a final chapter
    for the next book. Now it's true, none of the other windows are processor
    intensive. But the overall mix is fairly typical of my workday. I've been
    running like this all day, and will probably leave it up till I finish off
    the chapter tomorrow. I've done several _large_ downloads, I'm running files
    back and forth across the network, and this machine is triple-homed -- two
    Gb NICs on two different networks, and the wireless on a third. All with
    only 1gb of RAM. (Task manager says I'm running right at 996 Mb of commit
    charge, so RAM is pretty much used up.)

    My point is -- look for what else could be going on. Maybe some iffy RAM?
    Maybe overheating? Are you overclocking at all?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2005
  4. OK, ya got me...;-) Yeah, I'm O/Cing my 2.0gz 3800x2 to 2.54, which is
    pretty high, but not unusual for this processor. My ram, with the divider,
    is at DDR422 or so. CPU temps are steady at around 40C and I've slightly
    bumped up the CPU voltage. So, upon further review, I see that I may
    have...ahem... been pushing things a bit when I last crashed, listening to
    some Merle Haggard whilst distilling a 100 meg PS file along with whatever
    else was going on...;-)

    So I do tend to ride my machine just below it's practical stable performance
    limit. But still, I only seem to crash when I'm playing music, something I'd
    presume a dual processor should deal with. I can virus scan or defrag or
    burn a CD and continue to work in InDesign or Outlook or IE like nothing is
    going on (something that would just slow my P4 at home to a crawl). But
    throwing on an MP3 seems to make me vulnerable, although it's not chronic,
    only occasional. So I guess lowering the speed by 5% would help... but what
    fun is that?...;-)

    I shouldn't overstate what's happening, when 99% of the time I'm running
    solid. Overclocking does stress things, obviously, so I should presume
    that's the root cause. I'm just looking for any tweaks that might help.
    Thanks...

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Dennis Gordon

    Randy Guest

    I don't crash so much as slow to a crawl at times. Bumping my laptop up to a
    gig of RAM made no difference. Playing video is much worse than audio.

    My solution was to buy an external MP3 player/FM tuner and play it through
    my system's mic input, thereby removing the system's need to do serious
    processing/decoding. I then send it via speaker out to a wireless link to my
    entertainment system to play on my stereo. I also mostly record/digitize
    (mpeg4) video using an external (consumer) PVR for similar reasons.
    Dedicated hardware is good. ;~)

    Hopefully the problem won't be so bad on an HT or multi-core or SMP system,
    but I spend most of my time computing on my old P3 & P4 laptops using x32
    Windows Home or 2000 Pro.

    Randy, Nov 30, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 30, 2005
  7. Got ya! :) Well, I have no idea why, but apparently something in the music
    playing is pushing things beyond what you can handle at that OC. I'm
    guessing, but do you use the onboard audio? If so, dump it and get a good
    board from Creative or another that has solid x64 drivers. That will offload
    it from the mobo and cpu much better.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2005
  8. Yep, I do have the onboard audio. I also have 2 unused Seasound Solo
    external A/D interfaces that I could use... if only there were 64 bit
    drivers, which is unlikely, seeing that they went out of business 5 years
    ago. They work great with XP Pro.

    This really isn't a big problem. Why I was just playing some xmas music to
    the annoyance of many while doing my usual routines with nary a hiccup.
    Probably the easiest thing is just to turn down the juice on the machine...

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 30, 2005
  9. If you want an external one, take a look at the Creative USB model(Audigy
    NX?). There are 64bit drivers for it, and it's a good overall solution. But
    almost any add-on sound card will put less stress on the system than the
    (frankly awful) built in AC97 chips.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2005
  10. Yes, the Server 2003 Administrator's Companion is getting an update for SP1
    and R2. Should be out Q1 of 2007.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 30, 2005
  11. Well I installed v5.11 of Winamp and so far - knock on silicon - it seems to
    behave better than media player when playing in the background. If course,
    that's because I was trying to make it crash. It'll probably screw me when
    I'm on deadline...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Nov 30, 2005