The Olympus E-1 is HUGE!!! (and saw other cameras)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Henley, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    Went to a camera store today, certainly puts things in perspective.
    Whereas previously i had relied on online reviews, seeing and handling
    the cameras for real helps a lot. Two things that I realized...

    1. there's a huge difference between the digicams and the DSLRs (the
    digicams, even the oly 5060 or the 8 megapixel cameras, were
    absolutely tiny, impressively so - i had soemhow imagined the oly 5060
    to be somewhat bulky, but handling it today, i couldn't believe how
    tiny it was)
    2. the DSLR are quite a handful; in fact, double that! (even the 300d
    - rebel - ... compare that though, with the digicam that is fujifilm
    5500/5100, which was soooo tiny i almost giggled!) What even amazed me
    most was that the Olympus E-1, the 4/3s camera, supposedly designed to
    be smaller and lighter, while indeed seems awesome in terms of build
    quiality, is not actually smaller than the others (dslrs), and seemed
    to me a little bigger than the Canon 300D or the 20D.

    In conclusion; 1)DSLRs are really big. 2)quite a few digicams - p&s -
    are unbelievably tiny! (and the review don't communicate that
    adequately) 3)Olympus has the most outstanding build quality, it
    handles like a true, awesome, uncompromising ideal. 4) it really makes
    sense to go to a store to have a look at the cameras because online
    reviews are not the whole story

    And there you go, my rant for the day! (did i mention that i flirted
    with the female bartender? yeah!)

    Mike Henley, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Mike Henley

    Harvey Guest

    They have a bar in the camera shop??

    Harvey, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Mike Henley

    leo Guest

    5. Just like camcorders, the picture quality is proportional to the camera
    size - sensor size primarily.

    leo, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Digital cameras are not huge because they have huge sensors.
    Very few digital cameras have sensors that are even 24x36 mm,
    some are as small as 3x4 mm or so.

    Still - many digital cameras are larger than most 35 mm cameras.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Makes me suspicious about the guy's conclusions :^).

    But, hey - what a great new marketing tool. Get 'em drunk before the sales
    pitch.

    Tony Whitaker, Nov 15, 2004
  6. A Hooters style camera store?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Mike Henley

    Don Guest

    Picture quality is strongly impacted by lens quality and even more by the
    nut behind the viewfinder

    Don, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Mike Henley

    Jer Guest

    .....or get 'em laid before the sales pitch. :p

    Jer, Nov 16, 2004
  9. What camera store might this be?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 16, 2004
  10. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    [also answering Gary Eickmeier]

    The camera store was one of the cornershops nearest to a central
    rotunda in a local mall. The rotunda had the escalators, and tens of
    tables that were served by the usual cafe/bar/snacks outlets. I was
    passing on my way to an appointment and didn't think much of it seeing
    it from the outside, but once i stepped into it I was surprised to
    find that they actually had a serious inventory on display. You name
    it, they had the Canon and Nikon DSLRs, the Olympus E-1 (the guy said
    they were waiting for the E300 too), many of the enthausiast digicams
    (the 8mps from oly and nikon, the G6) and they even had a
    comprehensive Leica section where they showcased the M6, the leica
    slr, and quite a few other things. Needless to say, they also sold
    disposables and developed them, and I would think that a lot of their
    business came from that.

    Mike Henley, Nov 16, 2004
  11. You're not going to tell us, are you?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 16, 2004
  12. Mike Henley

    C J Campbell Guest

    The way I understand it, the DSLRs are larger in order to accommodate
    standard lens mounts. The cameras are still smaller than film cameras, but
    they are barely large enough to fit a lens onto them. They also have to have
    room for the mirror mechanism and pentaprism. Also, it is easier to hold a
    larger camera steady. The tiny little guys suffer from camera shake. A
    larger camera also means it can hold a larger battery, so it can run
    longer -- very important for professional and advanced amateur work.

    Still, the DSLR is due for a complete re-design -- the creation of a camera
    designed from the ground up to be digital. The current DSLR design forces
    some compromises, especially in the availability of wide-angle lenses. The
    new design would have a completely different lens mount, offering greater
    protection of the sensor. It might not have a mirror, but if not then the
    viewfinder LCD will have to be much better than those available today. It
    might not look like an SLR at all.

    The place for the tiny little guys is in your pocket. Never leave home
    without it.

    C J Campbell, Nov 16, 2004
  13. The Olympus E series (E1 and E300 aka E-Volt) were designed as digital
    cameras 4/3 system from day one. So that pretty much kills that theory ;)

    Darrell Larose, Nov 16, 2004
  14. Mike Henley

    Sabineellen Guest

    Why, you wanna flirt with the bartender-at-the-rotunda?

    I don't know what to say. I'm sure it had a sign and a name, i just didn't pay
    attention. It's just a camera shop in a slightly-upscale modern mall; the kind
    of mall that mixes shopping with entertainment, and has plenty of chairs and
    sitting spaces in which some older folks peoplewatch and some younger ones
    flirt.

    It's in England if that helps.

    Sabineellen, Nov 16, 2004

  15. Well, that gives us the country, at least.

    Thanks,

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 17, 2004
  16. Mike Henley

    Jer Guest

    You mean there's a real place somewhere that offers chairs for a
    passerby to actually sit in and they don't charge money for sitting?
    Get a rope!! They ought to put meters on those chairs and make them pay
    for all that slouching around - discounts for seniors, of course. I
    mean, what if someone fell out of a chair? Do they keep EMS on site
    with a legal defence team at hand?

    (just kidding)

    Jer, Nov 17, 2004
  17. Mike Henley

    Roger Guest

    On 15 Nov 2004 14:53:24 -0800, (Mike Henley)
    wrote:

    No, dSLRs are normal size while the others are tiny.
    Everything is relative. I'm used to a Nikon F4S. Now there is some
    heft! <:))
    Most give the camera specs. Size and weight, or a link where they can
    be checked.
    With that I agree.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com