    the '5' cent unit is phased out.

    But, the 20 cent piece has just become a little smaller so why don't shops
    accept it anymore?

    whome, Nov 27, 2006

  2. whome

    whome Guest

    Ignore this , wrong group.apologies.

    whome, Nov 27, 2006

  3. whome

    Craig Shore Guest

    All the old coins are no longer legal tender at any shop. I think you might
    still have a very small amount of time to change it your bank.

    Craig Shore, Nov 27, 2006
  4. whome

    whome Guest

    cheers:)

    whome, Nov 27, 2006
  5. From the Reserve Bank's new coins page <http://www.newcoins.govt.nz/>:
    :: New Zealand's old 50, 20, 10 and 5 cent coins are no longer legal
    :: tender. This means that retailers do not have to accept them as
    :: payment for goods or services.
    ::
    :: If you still have any of these coins you should take them to your bank
    :: as soon as possible.
    ::
    :: The coins will always be redeemable for face value at the Reserve
    :: Bank, No 2 The Terrace, Wellington.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Nov 27, 2006
  6. whome

    Kent Smith Guest

    My bank branch said "don't worry, they will always accept them, just like
    they still accept the old pre-dicimal coins still". (e.g florins, sixpences,
    etc).

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Nov 27, 2006