    news updates and other programming once an hour, it's 20 km from here
    and should just sit unattended in its locked shed and get on with life.

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 1, 2006

  2. My dick smith adsl 4-port modem seems to work as you describe.

    The only indication that this modem has reset is that the ip address has
    changed so any ip applications that rely on a constant IP address over an
    entire session will fail (eg, cisco vpn client) .

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 1, 2006

  3. T'was the Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:55:52 +1300 when I remembered Philip
    I bought a Billion ADSL modem. Awesome. For all intents and purposes,
    it's always up. If a connection's dropped, it reconnects no worries.
    Also does Virtual Server stuff, so I can route port numbers to
    different IPs which helps with running servers.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Philip

    ~misfit~ Guest

    My Alcatel Speedtouch 510 v4 is also great. I rarely need to touch it, if
    ever. However they're over twice the price of the DSE unit mentioned above.

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2006
  5. Philip

    krazy Bob Guest

    i agree billion is one of the best router's out there in my opinion, and
    there is heaps of info on forums with other people who have billion products

    KB

    krazy Bob, Mar 1, 2006
  6. My personal preference goes with USR and 3com.

    I've read a post by a guy who had a d-link and had lots of bad reconnects,
    dropouts etc, after he went USR his speed went up and he had no more dropouts.

    Which coincides my experience of USR external analogue modems (simply the
    best).

    If I had been able to get one at the time I would've gone for a USR router, but
    I couldn't get one so I bought one from the people who bought up USR (3com) and
    I simply assume that they mix their very good networking experience with the
    very good USR modem knowhow. So far this has been borne out. I live over 6 km
    from the cabinet and I get full speed on my 1Mbit connection and only get a
    port error on the connection 3-maybe 6 times a month, and it always reconnects
    without fail when that happens.

    Can't comment on Billion and Alcatel.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 2, 2006
  7. Philip

    Steve Guest

    I second this... mine's a 510sw, and it's both extremely flexible in it's
    abilities and has been 'always' on for well over 2 years without a break
    now.

    Steve

    Steve, Mar 2, 2006
  8. Philip

    EMB Guest

    Seconded. I've got about a dozen of them running at various sites and
    they don't seem to give any problem. They are based on the same
    reference desgn as the Billion routers mentioned elsewhere in this
    thread (before DSE got decent firmware I used to flash them with the
    Billion firmware).

    EMB, Mar 2, 2006
  9. My Asus does.

    My 3COM does not - so I don't use it.

    Aaron Lawrence, Mar 2, 2006
  10. My Cisco 827 is good at reconnecting. Ciscos are hideously expensive
    though - less than they used to be, but still bad in comparison to
    almost anything else.

    If you are a long way from the exchange or have a bad line, then you
    want an ADSL modem that is powered from 24 volts. Lower voltage power
    supplies mean that there is less headroom on the ADSL signaling, and
    you can not connect on a lesser quality line, or you suffer from
    dropouts.

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 2, 2006
  11. Philip

    Enkidu Guest

    USRobotics doesn't. I had one for a week or so and sent it back. Plus it
    dropped out more times than my DSL504. My DSL504 is rock solid. As was
    my M11 before that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 3, 2006
  12. Philip

    whoisthis Guest

    My linksys is good, however the wireless on it sucks big time.

    If I was to buy again I would buy a separate ADSL and wireless hub

    whoisthis, Mar 3, 2006