The ISP giving leased line to home(cat5), wants to configure static private IP addr, can I use Route

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by GS, Oct 1, 2005.

  1. GS

    GS Guest

    I called one available ISP for Internet connection, they says "they
    will give a ethernet (cat5) cable to home, that can be connected to
    windows PC with static IP address (actually that guy comes home and
    configures static IP addr in PC), also this is private IP addr
    (something like 92.168.1.220), but he says it is only for one PC, if I
    want one more PC for internet, then I have to take one more connection
    from ISP for other PC. I asked him about SOHO Router, if I put one
    router at home and WAN port connected to the cable coming from outside
    (static private IP addr) and then I can connect both PC's to routers,
    he says he can't do that, looklike he don't know much. Can I do that?.
    Will it work?, if I connect staic IP addr to WAN port side and allPC's
    to LAN side, but I don't know which private addresses are using on LAN
    side by Router?. If Router uses teh same private IP address
    (192.168.1.xx), will it be a problem, then do I have to change the
    subnet to 192.168.34.xx or something like that?.

    Can somebody confirm me whether I can do that?. Thanks in advance.

    GS, Oct 1, 2005

  2. GS

    Bit Twister Guest

    He is not allowed to do that, which is quite different from
    _does not know how_.

    My installer would not touch the keyboard because the OS was Win 95
    instead of win 98. I had to do the typing.
    A router should work unless the ISP registers the MAC address of your
    pc. If so you would need a router which allows you to set the WAN MAC
    address. After installer left, I installed a second nic, booted linux,
    and the pc became the firewall/router for my lan.
    It should.
    Router may have a default, or you can set the addresses via the web
    page interface of the router.
    The LAN net should be different from the WAN net group.
    I think you can. Actual events/procedures will depend on what router,
    not a hub, you buy.

    Bit Twister, Oct 1, 2005

  3. GS

    Scooby Guest

    These comments are correct. You always can do this, even if you have to
    spoof the mac on the router. You may want to see if you can appeal to them
    by saying you want the router in there for the firewall protection. They'll
    probably come back with an argument that you can use a software firewall.
    But, this is at least a chance to argue with them and see if they might
    allow it.

    Personally, I wouldn't let one of those guys touch my pc. Whenever I've had
    the broadband guys come out, I tell them leave the parts, test the
    connection and I'll do the rest.

    Just MHO,

    Jim

    Scooby, Oct 1, 2005
  4. From: "GS" <>

    | I called one available ISP for Internet connection, they says "they
    | will give a ethernet (cat5) cable to home, that can be connected to
    | windows PC with static IP address (actually that guy comes home and
    | configures static IP addr in PC), also this is private IP addr
    | (something like 92.168.1.220), but he says it is only for one PC, if I
    | want one more PC for internet, then I have to take one more connection
    | from ISP for other PC. I asked him about SOHO Router, if I put one
    | router at home and WAN port connected to the cable coming from outside
    | (static private IP addr) and then I can connect both PC's to routers,
    | he says he can't do that, looklike he don't know much. Can I do that?.
    | Will it work?, if I connect staic IP addr to WAN port side and allPC's
    | to LAN side, but I don't know which private addresses are using on LAN
    | side by Router?. If Router uses teh same private IP address
    | (192.168.1.xx), will it be a problem, then do I have to change the
    | subnet to 192.168.34.xx or something like that?.
    |
    | Can somebody confirm me whether I can do that?. Thanks in advance.

    I'm trying to figure out why this was posted to a Cable Modem News Group if you are NOT
    subscribing or getting a subscription for Cable Internet access. Such a post as this is Off
    Topic and one should *always* post On Topic.

    David H. Lipman, Oct 1, 2005