    seem to oscillate back and forth between two political factions whose
    agenda's both seem to be, "Let's find out what Bill Graham likes to do, and
    then make a law against it."

    William Graham, Apr 30, 2006

  2. William Graham

    Mark² Guest

    <Good stuff snipped>

    I absolutely agree with you, Mike, and have voiced similar sadness about the
    loss of basic trust in humanity, and the resulting loss of a "magic"
    connection to children everywhere. I remember knowing "grown-ups" who were
    near-strangers in my neighborhood who were always available for a glass of
    water...or perhaps an orange from their tree if we simply knocked, and
    asked. If we crashed on our bikes, they were good for a band-aid and help
    in putting it on. Those days are gone, and it truly saddens me.

    I ran accross a little note I scribbled while walking through a picturesque
    area of Balboa Park about 15 years ago. I was struck by the sense of magic
    and wonder in a group of kids that were apparently there on a field trip, or
    perhaps a day-care picnic of some sort.
    Here's the note:

    BALBOA PARK, MARCH 6,1990

    Harp music being played by the goldfish pond
    Children running and crashing on the ground
    Grass stained knees
    Bubbles floating through with the hands of
    children batting at them, smiling
    Teachers and classmates on the lawn.
    Skinned knees and torn band-aids.
    Curious and fascinated eyes.
    Birds singing.
    Sunny day.
    Cool breeze.
    Magic.
    Childhood.
    --------------

    I think its a basic--perhaps essential--part of the fully grown, mature
    adult mind to want to somehow re-connect with our own youth, and remember
    the parks, playgrounds and merry-go-rounds of our past. This same
    remembrance is visited in reality by the simple act of the innocent
    befriending of children.It saddens me that so much of this is now seemingly
    lost forever.

    -Mark²

    Mark², Apr 30, 2006

  3. William Graham

    ½ Confused Guest

    If that bothers you, wait until you find out the true motives of the
    people behind the "Great American Boycott" on May 1st. The
    instigators behind the invasion gave a series of 'by invitation only'
    speeches (about 12 in all) at Alvera Street (for the enthinic punch of
    the sound bytes) and I happend on it by chance. Well, I was in
    public, they were in public, it was well layed out, but no one
    appeared until a couple minutes before it started.

    The only give-away was 5 video cameras lined up in a semi circle
    pointing to a small cluster of logo'd mics on a stand. I parked my
    wheelchair at the left end of the video line, turned on an audio
    recorder, and captured the visuals with a 5D.

    The way they exploited little children was sickening. The dictator
    style revolutionary attitude was angering. The saddest part is that
    the speeches will not be aired, in entirety, anywhere, especially in
    the USA. They are very confident, though, because "85 percent of the
    people are with them".

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, May 1, 2006
  4. William Graham

    Mark² Guest

    Jeff,

    How were they exploited? -You mean the old, "look at these poor starving
    children" sort of thing?
    Next question... How can I get ahold of those tape recordings? :)

    Finally... I wasn't aware that you use a wheelchair. I am interested to
    understand the situation there. How long has that been so?

    -Mark

    Mark², May 1, 2006
  5. William Graham

    ½ Confused Guest

    Well, there was a poor kid in some other country with cancer; bush's
    fault; and I'm thinking about how multi-lingual mandates has effected
    the medical care in this country, specifically mis-communicated
    information that shortened my wife's battle with cancer.

    But no, I mean as in the old "child as bling thing". Under other
    circumstances pointing a camera at them could be a no no BECAUSE I'M
    WHITE AND DON'T SPEAK SPANISH. (Racism is rampant.)
    The 10 second sound byte deemed politically correct is on Fox 11. :)

    Actually, I need to fade into sleep and get to ground zero tomorrow.

    Jeff

    ½ Confused, May 1, 2006
  6. William Graham

    Guest

    Have you seen the work of Sally Mann? I would love to see something
    like that get published today. Take photos of what you like and hold
    the moral highground whenever your accused of being a dirty old man!

    , May 1, 2006
  7. William Graham

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Let him play with it anyway. Paranoid parents like myself can take
    reasonable precautions to safeguard our kids without cutting out all
    other adults. Life is too short not to interact with kids.

    Bruce Lewis, May 1, 2006
  8. William Graham

    no_name Guest

    Or I guess in Sally's case, a dirty old woman.

    no_name, May 2, 2006
  9. William Graham

    Rob Novak Guest

    Hmm - odd thing. I was at the Corcoran in DC on Saturday, and they
    have a series of eight of Mann's prints displayed in their permanent
    photographic collection gallery. My first thought was "no way that'd
    be acceptable in today's climate," and the second was a brief twinge
    moment of apprehension about appearing "pervy" for scrutinizing them.

    Mann's use of natural lighting is absolutely gorgeous, though. Hers
    are the type of liquid-feeling B&W images I'd give up a limb to be
    able to produce consistently.

    Rob Novak, May 2, 2006
  10. William Graham

    Annika1980 Guest

    If you wrote that today you'd get a free "I'M A PEDO!" t-shirt.

    Annika1980, May 2, 2006
  11. William Graham

    Annika1980 Guest

    Have you seen the work of Sally Mann? I would love to see something
    Children wearing swimsuits are playing in a fountain in the park
    Nearby are three park benches. A middle-aged woman sits on one of them
    watching the kids.
    On the second bench sits an 80-year old man, also enjoying the
    activity.
    On the third bench enjoying the Summer day is a 40-something man with a
    camera.

    How long until the cops show up?
    Which bench do they go to?
    What's wrong with this picture?
    Will Canon ever make a cheap 400mm lens with IS?

    Annika1980, May 2, 2006
  12. Rob Novak wrote
    There are a few here... I'm surprised Orin Hatch hasn't had an
    FBI raid on the server yet in today's climate...

    http://www.art-forum.org/z_Mann/gallery.htm

    Lefty Bigfoot, May 2, 2006