    the current machine"

    Does anyone know if there are any way i can get this application installed
    on x64?

    Guest, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Guest

    Shane Guest

    What is the application? Does the installer have 16 bit components? (many
    do..). It all depends on the application really. We need more information.

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The application is called "WinKey" by Copernic and is quite old (2001 or
    something). The application is discontinued so there will probably not be any
    updates. Actually, they have even removed the application from their website
    recently: http://www.copernic.com/winkey/

    Guest, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Guest

    DKI Guest

    Sounds Likes an 16bit installer. i get round those by installing a program
    called WinInstall LE on XP Home (i kept installed for some functions like
    this or my TV card and some other hardware to work)

    I install it then run a scan for my current settings. and it makes a note.
    install the software and then scans for changes and makes an MSI installer
    with the files so then it can be install on XP X64. but make sure the that
    is to be installed is 32bit otherwise its a waist of time.

    Its all done with a wizard so its not hard to use.

    DKI, Jul 18, 2005
  5. Guest

    M. Murcek Guest

    Sounds like a slick work-around...

    M. Murcek, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Guest

    DKI Guest

    It works at least, took some time but worth it. And if the wizard is
    followed correctly then it will work fine, just one small hint keep the User
    name the same as on X64 cause if not it can cause some minor issues. I got
    round it by editing the account name in the file where the regestry entrys
    were stored.

    DKI, Jul 18, 2005
  7. This will work IF the program is 32-bit, just a 16 bit installer. If the
    program is 16 bit, you're out of luck with that one.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 18, 2005
  8. Guest

    M. Murcek Guest

    True, Charlie. I tried running an old Windows v 1.01 executable under x64
    Edition, and got this exact same error message, cause the .exe itself was 16
    bit.

    M. Murcek, Jul 18, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    !!!!!!!

    YOU ARE A TRUE HERO!!! That worked perfect! I can't believe this, just 30
    minutes after i ask, you come with the solution! Thanks!!!

    Guest, Jul 18, 2005
  10. Guest

    DKI Guest

    Your Welcome.

    DKI, Jul 18, 2005
  11. Guest

    Shino Tenshi Guest

    I'm wondering if you could direct me to instructions on how to use this in
    order to deal with programs that have a 16-bit installer. I've run into this
    problem myself and after spending 15 minutes with the software, I can't
    figure out how to use it to make the program install correctly.

    Thanks!

    Shino Tenshi, Dec 17, 2007
  12. Guest

    S.SubZero Guest

    64-bit Windows cannot work with 16-bit installers. The code to do so
    simply does not exist in the OS.

    I installed Windows 2000 in a virtual machine (www.virtualbox.org) and
    in there I have 16-bit support.

    S.SubZero, Dec 17, 2007