The Human Eye: 120 Megapixel Monochrome, 6 Megapixel Color

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Brian C. Baird, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. Brian C. Baird, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Brian C. Baird

    mobilevil Guest

    but ur eye scan and your brain do image combine.
    6M color isn't enough for a photo

    mobilevil, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Brian C. Baird

    gsum Guest

    Exactly! And that's why it IS enough.

    Graham

    gsum, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Unlike a Bayer or Foveon chip, the eye has two types of sensors (rods &
    cones). Rods are the low light, blue sensitive sensors. There are
    120,000,000 rods, but only about 6,000,000 cones which are the colour
    sensors. Cones are also the high light sensors. The brain combines these to
    from an image. So doesn't work really like a Bayer sensor.

    Darrell Larose, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Brian C. Baird

    Ron Hunter Guest

    No? Then what is going to be LOOKING at the picture? Certainly if the
    ability of the eye to produce an image is matched by the camera, there
    is no benefit to be had by improving the camera unless you know some
    extraterrestrials who want to look at your photos....

    Ron Hunter, Jun 15, 2004
  6. Brian C. Baird

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It works EXACTLY like a Bayer sensor because that is why the sensor was
    designed as it was, it matches the human visual apparatus.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 15, 2004
  7. Brian C. Baird

    gsum Guest

    But the effect is similar in that Bayer provides 4 times as much luminance
    (and resolution) information as colour information.

    Foveon blindly records colour and luminance at the same resolution and
    this has the effect of reducing the efficiency of the sensor as information
    that is not needed is provided.

    Graham

    gsum, Jun 15, 2004
  8. Why would the extraterrestrials necessarily have better vision than a
    human? Fact that they evolved on a different planet doesn't
    automatically mean they can't be almost blind... Perhaps they have
    CCD's cybernetically implanted to enhance their vision...

    But I digress...

    Paul Fedorenko, Jun 15, 2004
  9. What now?

    Are you trying to communicate with your poor typing skills that the eye
    and human brain INTERPOLATE color?
    Tell that too the photos hanging on my wall.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 15, 2004
  10. Well, that wasn't my point. The point was the eye/brain uses three
    types of cones to interpolate color - much as a Bayer sensor does.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 15, 2004
  11. Also, for those persons out there who a "less able", this was a direct
    ribbing of GP's earlier posts about Bayer sensors. That's why it's so
    funny!

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 15, 2004
  12. Well, except in the sense that what we see is interpolated at every
    point.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 15, 2004
  13. Which was my point.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 15, 2004
  14. Brian C. Baird

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Mother Nature also has never created an animal with wheels, but vehicles
    with wheels however perform surprisingly well.

    Alfred Molon, Jun 15, 2004
  15. Brian C. Baird

    Alfred Molon Guest

    First time I see somebody write that having the full colour information
    at each pixel is a bad thing. Unbelievable.

    Alfred Molon, Jun 15, 2004
  16. No, he's saying it doesn't provide the benefit you think it would. As
    sensors get larger and have more resolution, the benefit is even less
    due to manufacturing constraints when compared to the relatively easy to
    manufacture CCD and CMOS sensors.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 15, 2004
  17. Too bad Foveon doesn't. But I'd imagine running it over with a wheeled
    vehicle might be effective for getting rid of it.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 15, 2004
  18. I think you misunderstand.

    Three aligned R, G and B sensors is less efficient than three
    misaligned R, G and B sensors, you get a higher resolution with
    the same sensor count with a misalignment a la Bayer.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jun 15, 2004
  19. Only on roads. Out in the wild nature, legs is to prefere.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jun 15, 2004
  20. Brian C. Baird

    Alfred Molon Guest

    He didn't write that you have to use the same amount of sensors in both
    cases.

    Alfred Molon, Jun 15, 2004