    Screen Format: UNK

    <http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdcalc2?cmd=calc&tmpCart=38080>

    Matthew

    Matthew L. Martin, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Well, at least UNK still allows for hope. I'm hoping.

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Matthew L. Martin

    jayembee Guest

    Since MGM's other CRC titles were released widescreen (eg. HELL IN
    THE PACIFIC), it's a reasonably good bet that this one will be, too.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 7, 2004
  4. One can only hope.

    Matthew

    Matthew L. Martin, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Matthew L. Martin

    jayembee Guest

    Did a little more poking around. Looked up 17 CRC titles that MGM has
    released or announced for release. 14 out of the 17 are specified as
    being widescreen (I can't confirm most of them, as the only one in my
    collection is IVY):

    CUSTER OF THE WEST; FOR LOVE OF IVY; HELL IN THE PACIFIC;
    THE HIGH COMMISSIONER; JUNIOR BONNER; THE LAST VALLEY;
    A MINUTE TO PRAY, A SECOND TO DIE; SHALAKO; RING OF BRIGHT WATER;
    SUPPOSE THEY GAVE A WAR AND NOBODY CAME; THEY SHOOT HORSES,
    DON'T THEY?; TOO LATE THE HERO; and WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO AUNT ALICE?

    Of the other three, two seem to be fullscreen releases:

    LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS and TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN.

    Leaving only CHARLY. Unfortunately, CHARLY is one of two of the titles
    whose format/ratio is not specified by etailers. The other is the FS
    title LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS. Which one might say doesn't bode
    well for CHARLY.

    On the other hand, LOVERS and MONEY are matted films, and the DVDs are
    likely open-matte. CHARLY is an anamorphic film, and I can't at the
    moment think of any anamorphically-shot films that MGM has released in
    pan-&-scan.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 7, 2004

  6. I've seen Charly somewhere or other listed as pan & scan (oh yeah,
    cduniverse; they're pretty good about getting this stuff right). Also,
    looks like They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is not anamorphic.

    [MGM sucks sometimes, but then again two less DVDs to bother with...]

    --Frank

    Frank Malczewski, Sep 8, 2004
  7. Matthew L. Martin

    jayembee Guest

    Well, it's not much of a problem for me, as I have a Region 2 edition.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 8, 2004