The first good thing to happen to the world of images in years.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by thanatoid, Oct 26, 2011.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    As some of you may know, I hate cell phones and smart phones,
    and Steve Jobs, digital cameras, and everything else in this
    stinking world.

    Something I did NOT hate was the original Polaroid SX-70. The
    camera was a work of GENIUS, and EVERY photo it took was a
    masterpiece - I have never seen anything like it - you could
    give it to blind person and the photos s/he took would be as
    great as anything else. This was due to the film it used -
    presumably, an adaptation of Polaroid's pro large-format
    products.

    But, of course, Polaroid decided we did not deserve to have such
    beauty in our lives, and changed the film, ostensibly to
    increase the ASA. Well, that it did, giving us more grain (OK,
    that's basic), but also totally destroying the "softness" and
    the incredibly beautiful colors the original film stock had.

    Well, I have just seen something amazing - it may not be new to
    many of you, but it is new to me.

    There is a little app for the STUPID iPHONE which produces
    basically what the original SX-70 did. I am BLOWN AWAY.

    Random example::

    http://phoofy.tumblr.com

    and info:

    http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instagr
    am

    I did not read that until just now, but it actually SAYS:

    "Instagram, in an homage to both the Kodak Instamatic and
    Polaroid cameras, confines photos into a square shape. This is
    in contrast to the 3:2 aspect ratio normally used by the iOS
    device cameras."

    It even has an option to add a border similar to the one the
    Polaroid prints had!

    What do you think?

    thanatoid, Oct 26, 2011

  2. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    No one would, but I post to 24hr fairly often. Rather than
    multiposting, which I did once and never heard the end of it, I
    crossposted. Please note that I said "some of you may know".
    That statement was primarily intended for 24hr, although it IS
    within the realm of possibility that a few people from here
    might visit 24hr on occasion.
    Frankly, I don't remember EVER posting here. But I have a bad
    memory. Since obviously you looked it up, what was the post
    about?
    Not since about 10 or 12 years ago.
    Obviously you never held the original in your hands nor saw the
    photos it produced.

    Here we go. You disagree with a statement, but can't come up
    with a single valid counter-opinion let alone fact, so you call
    the OP a troll. Bravo!
    It's not cheap, it's free, as you would have discovered had you
    looked at the links I provided.

    SIGH.

    --
    "Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
    it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named

    thanatoid, Oct 26, 2011

  3. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Why would anybody who has heard of the Usenet (you'de be
    surprised how many people have no idea it exists) bother with
    iTunes, which is not even available in the vast majority of
    countries?

    Not to mention it's a sick combination of record company weasels
    and of Jobs' evil empire.

    "In spite of a lot of a complaints about illegal internet file
    sharing/downloading, record company profits are soaring to
    astounding new heights yearly."

    (Paraphrased fact.)

    thanatoid, Oct 26, 2011
  4. thanatoid

    dadiOH Guest

    I think Polaroid was handy to check light levels and direction. Nothing
    else.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Oct 26, 2011
  5. thanatoid

    Martin Brown Guest

    It was very handy to ensure that if push came to shove you actually had
    a photographic record of some unrepeatable event. You could even get
    instant monochrome negative stock emulsion for the older cameras and the
    resulting large negs were potentially quite serviceable in extremis. It
    was a bit tetchy about being kept at the right temperature for
    development in the field. I think the original Polaroid system was more
    like 5x4 aspect ratio but my memory could be playing tricks here.

    The SX-70 was something of a consumer toy with cute internal chemistry.
    The earlier system was somewhat messy as I recall and involved a final
    stage fixative if you cared about the longevity of the final image.

    People forget in these days of instant feedback digital that in the old
    days of film you had to pay a significant premium to get same day lab
    processing and insane prices to get reliable same hour proofs.

    Martin Brown, Oct 26, 2011
  6. thanatoid

    Pete A Guest

    Heck, I made extensive use of B&W Polaroids to record the screens of
    oscilloscopes, other instrument CRT displays, and laboratory
    experiments. In those days work was great fun :) I suppose getting
    paid to produce those pictures qualifies me as a professional
    photographer, ha ha.

    Pete A, Oct 26, 2011
  7. thanatoid

    Guest Guest

    what does usenet have to do with using itunes? people can use both.
    absolutely false. it's available in over 120 countries, representing
    most of the world's population.
    ok, you're a troll.
    that's because people are buying more music. is there something wrong
    with that?

    Guest, Oct 26, 2011
  8. thanatoid

    Guest Guest

    i have and it's nothing special. the mechanical design of the original
    sx70 was clever, but it was expensive. later models weren't
    collapsible.

    the photos weren't all that great and it's nothing that can't be done
    digitally if you like that look.

    Guest, Oct 26, 2011
  9. Polaroids were popular with the insurance industry (adjustors) and
    people recording illegal activities (their own).

    <nods>

    --
    http://www.privacySOS.org | www.extinctioncrisis.org
    www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org

    §ñühwö£f, Oct 26, 2011
  10. thanatoid

    Pete A Guest

    I'd forgotten about the former and was too engrossed in my work to
    attempt the latter. They say it's never too late, but whoever "they"
    are were wrong.

    Pete A, Oct 26, 2011
  11. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Of course, but why pay for something you don't have to pay for,
    and submit to spyware and draconian DRM regulations. And if you
    think people who do NOT pay for their music are robbing the
    benevolent saints of the holy record companies, read the last 2
    paragraphs.
    You are correct. But the last time I paid any attention to it,
    it was only available in about 3.
    My bad for not keeping up with the weasels.
    Great. Again. You disagree with a statement, but can't come up
    with a single valid counter-opinion let alone fact, so you call
    the OP a troll. Bravo!

    How about this: YOU are a moron.
    YOU /ARE/ a moron. There is nothing wrong with people buying
    more music - there is something wrong about record/media
    companies wanting (just one example) a 12 year old girl to pay a
    $100,000 fine for having the theme to a TV show on her computer,
    especially when all facts indicate that the internet and music
    dl'g has INCREASED profits for the weasels.

    Have you ever known anybody in a band who had records out on a
    major label? I have. You should hear what happens - unless
    you're a Britney Spears or Led Zeppelin.

    Plonk.

    thanatoid, Oct 26, 2011
  12. thanatoid

    Guest Guest

    itunes is free and this is about the app store not music. about 1/3rd
    of apps are free and nearly all of them are a couple of bucks or less.

    as for music, there has been no drm in the itunes store for a few years
    and when there was, it was anything but draconian. you could listen on
    up to 5 macs (which is more than what most people have) or unlimited
    ipods, and you could burn cds too to play in any cd player. it was
    extremely rare that got in the way of normal usage scenarios.

    it was *far* less draconian than the options available before the
    itunes store, which were subscription based and if you stopped paying
    every month, your music could no longer be played.

    apple had been pushing for no drm but the only way the record companies
    would go along with online sales was drm. a few years later, the record
    companies realized drm was not really needed and now there's no drm.
    your bad for being wrong again. the app store launched in 62 countries.

    don't let facts get in the way of your rants.
    see above.
    how about this, you're full of shit.
    there is obviously more to this case than what you are saying.

    if she had to pay a fine, then she must have pirated it. nobody gets
    fined $100k for legitimately downloading music or tv shows.
    the funny thing is, steve jobs and his so called evil empire lets the
    indie bands skip the record companies and offer music directly to
    consumers. the record industry is the real problem, not apple. i'm sure
    that fact (like every other fact it seems) is no doubt lost on you.

    Guest, Oct 27, 2011
  13. thanatoid

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Depends on what that something is doesn;t it.
    That;s usually how you pay for free stuff.
    Spyware is virtually always free.
    The DRM is due to the music indusrty.

    Don;t you have to be dead to be a saint.
    When was that ?, maybe you should keep up, things change quite
    rapidly
    So where's your evidence of Jobs evil empire, what's evil about it.
    How does that prove you're point(s) ?

    When a mporon knows the facts while a self confessed genius
    thinks iTunes is only availble in 3 countries ?
    When you haven't a clue find out, it'#s not that difficult.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AppleStoreAvailability.png

    yep so what was your point.
    Are you saying that's the fault of iTunes or steve Jobs....
    Neither have applied this fine.
    The same doesn;t happen to everyone.

    Yes and then MS stoll the gui from Apple after it made the windows
    dragable and movable with a mouse,
    rather than by a programer typing in the co-ordinates of a new window
    via the keyboard which was how the Xerox system worked
    we had one in my lab I remmebr a reasearch student showing me how to
    use it..

    Whisky-dave, Oct 27, 2011
  14. thanatoid

    §nühw¤£f Guest

    yep...the "instant" polaroid was your "eye witness" back in the day.

    --
    http://www.skepticalscience.com/
    www.friendsofanimals.org |www.snuhwolf.9f.com|

    §nühw¤£f, Oct 27, 2011
  15. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    roups.com:
    I already have everything I ever wanted (and these days I listen
    to classical radio most of the time anyway) - I replaced the
    LP's and CD's and cassettes I have bought over the last 45 years
    but had to leave behind due to an abnormal amount of moving all
    over the place, and I found a few additional things by accident.
    My conscience is fairly clear.

    And, in spit of the billions of "tunes" they claim to have, I
    somehow doubt they would have some of the things I like - and
    had to go to a fair bit of trouble to find and buy before and
    during the net age - they are NOT available anywhere on the
    internet.
    I am well aware of that.
    One wishes!
    Why should I keep up with iTunes? That'd be like regularly
    writing to Jeffrey Dahmer.
    Oh, c'mon.

    Aside from the many recent posts about what a great guy Jobs was
    to his employees (in CA and in China especially) and the fact
    that iPods have been the final death blow to REAL music
    APPRECIATION, here's the simplest thing I ever read that puts it
    perfectly:

    I find that with a PC, one must be smart enough to know how to
    fix it if something goes wrong. With a Mac, one must be rich
    enough to know how to purchase a new one for no reason.
    anon
    your, not you are
    In no way whatsoever, but that guy is quite annoying. AND a
    moron.
    C'mon, buddy. I have never claimed to be a genius. I realize my
    growing stupidity daily.
    Again, I am not interested in iTunes any more than I am in
    Jeffrey Dahmer. I wrote the OP because I think instagram is a
    fantastic app which recreates some of the forever-lost past in
    this stinky new world.
    I forget - I suppose I just like to remind people that weasels
    live and drive their BMW's among us.
    Of course not, I am talking about whatever multinational was
    involved. For all I know, Jobs was all for free content
    available to everyone clever enough to get it (that was one of
    net dreamers' ideals 25 years ago). We KNOW Gates is not.
    It does happen to most.

    Well, obviously you know more about this than I. But a lot of
    people have NEVER heard of Xerox PARC. I consider the Xerox
    photocopying machine and the Philips Compact Cassette (the ONLY
    thing it lacked was a sync track in the center so the speed
    would NEVER vary) among last century's greatest inventions.

    Xerox were clever enough to RENT, not sell, their photocopiers
    and made a huge amount of money from that. WHY weren't they
    smart enough to realize the potential of their desktop, limited
    as it was when Jobs saw it? (I suppose in most companies,
    research and marketing are two VERY different divisions who
    probably often hate each other...) And, FWIW, I am sure MS would
    have done just as good a job of making the thing mousier etc.

    I always thought highly of Jobs even though I wasn't crazy about
    his products, but the recent info about his personality and
    empire have made me think VERY differently. So I am mentioning
    it, but I will try to stop. I heard something about Britney
    Spears attempting a comeback of sorts, and that is MUCH more
    important. We can only hope someday I will stop polluting the
    sacred Usenet altogether.

    thanatoid, Oct 27, 2011
  16. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    FWIW, I should mention that I consider almost all Polaroid
    consumer products useful ONLY due to their instant/private
    aspects.

    OTOH, the SX-70 was a brilliant development and a tool embraced
    not only by insurance adjusters, but by many artists. It does
    not seem many people in these photography groups have much of a
    concept of art.

    thanatoid, Oct 27, 2011
  17. thanatoid

    Guest Guest

    if you aren't keeping up with it then you should not comment on it.
    nonsense. ipods let people enjoy listening to music pretty much
    anywhere they want. it's made it *better*.
    that's pure bullshit.
    so does everyone else.
    in other words, you didn't have any point.
    you neglect to mention anything relevant about the case. what was the
    reason for the fine? she had to have been found guilty of something.

    Guest, Oct 27, 2011
  18. thanatoid

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
[...]

    I think your wife should hide the bottle.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 28, 2011
  19. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    1. Learn to snip
    2. I'm not married. I suffer enough as it is.

    thanatoid, Oct 28, 2011
  20. ok bub...I have both an art degree and experience with polaroid
    instamatics of various size shape & model, unless you had some s00per
    sekrit only available to you film stock to play with and a one-off
    prototype camera...yer blowing smoke out yer arse. polaroid film was temp
    sensitive and you could ruin a piccy by leaving it in the sun. digital is
    WAY better than any polaroid.

    --
    http://www.skepticalscience.com/
    http://stopbeck.com|www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.eyeonpalin.org