    :: Jim,

    NHS Health Database Sale Opt-out form:

    http://www.thebigoptout.com/opt-out-letter/

    Jim, Mar 27, 2014

  2. Davey

    Stephen Hope Guest

    Pretty much every BT exchange already has fibre

    But - they might be installing business fibre access services such as
    EAD circuits.

    Stephen Hope
    Replace xyz with ntl to reply

    Stephen Hope, Mar 28, 2014

  3. Davey

    Stephen Hope Guest

    If you order FTTP it doesnt need power in the BT cabinet - or at least
    not for the fibre....

    Stephen Hope, Mar 28, 2014
  4. Davey

    kraftee Guest

    Sorry but you are wrong, power is required to run the DSLAM which is fitted
    in the second (newer) cab.

    If you don't believe next time you go past a FTTP cab check out the hazard
    stickers indicating dangerous voltages inside.

    kraftee, Mar 28, 2014
  5. Davey

    Bob Eager Guest

    For FTTP? As opposed to FTTC, which wasn't what was said?

    Bob Eager, Mar 28, 2014
  6. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Not in East Anglia they don't!

    Davey, Mar 29, 2014
  7. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Suffolk:
    Partnership Name: Better Broadband to Suffolk
    Coverage: more than 80% of the county by end of 2015

    Norfolk:
    Partnership Name: Better Broadband for Norfolk(BBfN)
    Coverage: more than 80%+ of the county by Autumn 2015

    Cambridgeshire:
    Partnership Name: Connecting Cambridgeshire
    Coverage: 98% of the county by end of 2015

    These are current from BT Openreach's website. I don't see 2014 anywhere
    in there. And Suffolk and Norfolk only quote for 80% coverage. Not what
    I would call 'pretty much every exchange already has fibre....'.

    One day...........

    Davey, Mar 29, 2014
  8. Davey

    Davey Guest

    I missed one: Essex. You know, that county right next to Greater London?
    Partnership Name: Superfast Essex
    Coverage: around 87% of the county by end of Summer 2016.

    Wow.

    Davey, Mar 29, 2014
  9. Davey

    kraftee Guest

    And that is if it doesn't slip

    kraftee, Mar 29, 2014
  10. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Very true. I must admit that somebody must have smiled when they named
    the Essex Partnership as 'Superfast'!

    Angela Merkel did have a valid point the other day.

    Davey, Mar 29, 2014
  11. Davey

    Andy Burns Guest

    Only if it's a passive fibre network ... I have no idea what BT are
    doing for FTTP, but it could be a case of them fitting some customer
    facing fibre ports to the kit in the green cabinet ... which would still
    need power.

    Andy Burns, Mar 29, 2014
  12. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Oh for some green cabinets!

    Davey, Mar 29, 2014
  13. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    I expect BT sales droids will happily take orders for FTTC without
    giving a moments thought to whether or not they can supply it.

    But yes it does need powered cabinets - look carefully at the new
    cabinets and they have the warning flash for mains power inside. It is
    required to convert the optical fibre back to electrical signals and
    vice-versa. One cabinet in our patch will never get FTTC since there is
    no mains anywhere nearby apart from a supergrid pylon passing overhead.

    Martin Brown, Mar 29, 2014
  14. Davey

    bert Guest

    They contain a fan.

    bert, Mar 29, 2014
  15. Davey

    Mark Carver Guest

    50 Hz aerial on top of the cab ? :)

    Mark Carver, Mar 29, 2014
  16. windmill and a car battery?

    --
    Ineptocracy

    diminishing number of producers.

    The Natural Philosopher, Mar 29, 2014
  17. "Mark Carver" wrote
    Hee !

    What are the the power requirements ?

    I see parking fee machines round here with a solar panel.

    Michael R N Dolbear, Mar 29, 2014
  18. Davey

    Stephen Guest

    I had a hunt around for recent info and I think we may both be right

    see slide 11
    http://www.openreach-communications.../understanding-benefits-SFFA-SMEs-webinar.pdf

    The original BT stuff I saw talked about the FTTP product being GPON
    based (with initially 32 way split and optical margin for 20 Km reach)
    so the GPON "splitter" is passive, and the glass bits at least dont
    need the power to work, and are not going to generate significant
    heat, so will not need a fan.

    Doesnt mean there isnt other stuff in the cab that needs that though
    andthe presentation I had didnt mention whether there was power or
    not....

    there is a video floating around from some early installs (in Milton
    Keynes?) which just show a big splice box stuck in a manhole.

    However the latest FTTP on demand product seems to use an FTTC cabinet
    as the splitter location (maybe since FTTP isnt that popular so far)

    http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/hom...sondemand/downloads/FTTPonDemandFactSheet.pdf

    - so since the FTTC bit uses a DSLAM the cab will need power for the
    electronics

    Stephen, Mar 29, 2014
  19. Davey

    Stephen Guest

    Fair enough.

    But almost all the BT exchanges are connected to the BT fibre network
    and have been for years - that is how the ISP traffic gets to the
    exchange and to the DSLAMs, even for the old pre ADSL 2+ DSL.

    So a telco can order "old style" Ethernet type fibre based services
    such as 100 Mbps EAD from the exchange
    - those are not dependent on the NGA rollout
    - mind you - a few £1000 a year per circuit.....

    So - back to the topic - the fibre men may be there but to install
    other fibre services besides FTTx.

    Stephen, Mar 29, 2014
  20. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Hey! That's us! ADSLMax is our High-speed. I consistently get a
    download speed of 6.30 Mbps, and 0.39 upload.
    That's the conclusion I came to. "And then they were gone". I think
    they were just replacing a cable between man-holes, maybe due to damage
    during the wet winter.

    Davey, Mar 30, 2014