    interesting. Maybe it's just passing through from one neighbouring
    village, which has fibre already, to the other neighbouring village,
    which doesn't.

    Davey, Mar 25, 2014

  2. Davey

    Rodney Pont Guest

    The key is that a second green cabinet appears near to an existing one.
    We have had two appear outside our exchange and I'm assuming that some
    of us with a connection directly to the exchange will get FTTC.

    Rodney Pont, Mar 25, 2014

  3. But it may take some time - it was nearly two years between them
    installing the cabinet and making it available here.
    That's interesting, other people have been told that if you have a
    direct connection to the exchange you're out of luck.

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Mar 25, 2014
  4. Been more than 2 years and an original FTTC availabilty date pre
    31/12/2012 and still no sign of a second cabinet here, In fact the
    availability date has just (last week) been amended to 31/12/2014 from
    31/03/2014 which it was changed to in December 2013. I've given up hope
    now. :(

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on desktop, Mar 25, 2014
  5. Davey

    David Guest

    Have read that many times.
    Regards
    David

    David, Mar 25, 2014
  6. Davey

    Flop Guest

    I believe that you are correct.

    However, BtO has its own logic.

    A cabinet may or may not appear.

    It may be wired up rapidly or it may take months.

    Your nearest cabinet may not be for you. Especially if there is
    development nearby, lines may be reserved for that.

    And they have to get power to it...

    " “the cost of providing power to the cabinet is not financially viable”.
    In summary, they’ve put in 3 miles of fibre all the way to the cabinet,
    but refuse to enable it for the cost of a power supply. ".

    ......or not

    From-

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/06/13/why-doesnt-bt-come-clean-over-fibre-cabinet-notspots/

    Flop, Mar 25, 2014
  7. Davey

    Woody Guest

    For the record, in most case what you see them installing
    (the orange stuff) is not fibre but a fibre sheath. When the
    time comes they blow fibres through said sheath. They can
    install (blow) one fibre up to 1000m in one go.

    Woody, Mar 25, 2014
  8. Davey

    Davey Guest

    What I saw yesterday as I drove past was what looked like very thick
    black-sheathed cable, being pulled down one manhole and through to the
    next. What also puzzled me was that it was being left in the street, on
    its trailer, as everyone was packing up for the day. If it was
    copper, it probably disappeared overnight.
    I'll go and have a look today.

    Davey, Mar 25, 2014
  9. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    There should be a local website about SuperFast broadband with
    optimistic coverage maps and project schedules somewhere for your area.
    I think it depends how far away you are from the exchange as well.

    They stuff a cabinet in or near the exchange to avoid their staff
    getting beaten up by irate subscribers who live next to the exchange and
    have to negotiate their way around multiple OpenReach vans daily. You
    can easily guess how annoyed they would be if they had to suffer the
    daily inconvenience without actually getting any of the benefit!

    I think someone told me that if you live more than 1km from the magic
    cabinet you are basically condemned to third world data rates. My Three
    3G connection in a rural location at 5Mbps is faster than my wired ADSL :(

    Certainly a nearby village with its cabinet about 1km from the centre of
    the village has been ignored completely. The exchange is FTTC capable
    but they haven't bothered to offer any service at all there.
    (possibly due to a lack of mains power at the old cabinet location)

    Martin Brown, Mar 25, 2014
  10. Davey

    Davey Guest

    There is. It shows a vague time that could be anywhere between July
    this year and...who knows?

    Davey, Mar 25, 2014
  11. Davey

    Graham J Guest

    Martin Brown wrote:
    [snip]
    No 3G connection round here (a few miles from Thetford in Norfolk). Yet
    I read that 3G is used all over 3rd world countries because there is no
    cable infrastructure. How do they do it ...???

    Graham J, Mar 25, 2014
  12. Davey

    Martin Brown Guest

    Yes. We are scheduled to get SuperFast broadband in my village at about
    the same time as Hell freezes over - which is very probably never.

    I suspect that instead to shovelling money at BT to subsidise their
    cherry picking exercise it would be better to give money to the 3/4G
    infrastructure providers to put in directional antennae to illuminate
    ribbon developments along rural roads with fast wireless broadband.
    Mobile phone users would also benefit from improved rural coverage.

    Instead they are allowing BT to pick off the various small scale rural
    DIY wireless and microwave systems that local entrepreneurs have set up
    (and subsidising them to do it).

    Martin Brown, Mar 25, 2014
  13. Davey

    kraftee Guest

    Similarly here, the roll out date has just slip-slided away.

    That was until Jan. when it suddenly changed from 21/12/2014 to between
    March and May this year.

    With a bit of 'digging' (quite literally for some one) I've found that
    although the second cab has been in position from December 2013 and
    although the cab is shown to have been enabled, they appear to be having
    problems getting a fibre link from the exchange to my part of the world
    (there are multiple blockages in the duct work, each having to be dug down
    on and fixed) which could of course let it slip to December 2014 before
    the service is finally enabled.

    kraftee, Mar 25, 2014
  14. Davey

    Davey Guest

    You are probably too close to Mildenhall and Lakenheath, and 3G might
    interfere with the Military Air Traffic Control. Well, it's as logical
    as any other theory!
    I did notice some time ago, when Terraserver, the precursor to Google
    Earth, was started, that the area was fuzzy, as though it was being kept unavailable to the world's eyes.

    Davey, Mar 25, 2014
  15. The existing and only cabinet on our street is definitely the one my
    connection goes through as that's the one they've gone to in the past
    when rectifying faults I've had in the dim and distant past.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on desktop, Mar 25, 2014
  16. Davey

    Jim Guest

    We've had the cables since January, but as
    yet no FTTC.

    --
    :: Jim,

    NHS Health Database Sale Opt-out form:

    http://www.thebigoptout.com/opt-out-letter/

    Jim, Mar 25, 2014
  17. Davey

    Mark Guest

    Our date kept slipping but the cabinet was finally enabled a couple of
    months before the last estimate. Therefore maybe there is hope.

    Mark, Mar 26, 2014
  18. Davey

    Davey Guest

    I was going to do that today, but they had mysteriously disappeared!
    And there were no signs that they had even been there.
    Phoney-Fibremen?

    Davey, Mar 26, 2014
  19. Davey

    Jim Guest

    I lied. It is now available, but I don't
    want it.

    Jim, Mar 26, 2014
  20. Davey

    Phil W Lee Guest