    least one art photographers who carries both a 5D and a Mamiya 7.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 4, 2006

  2. j

    George Deliz Guest

    Yep,
    Canon EF and A1 with 6 lenses. Got a roll of K25 in the freezer too.
    Expired in 02. Haven't shot a frame of film in nearly 5 years.

    George Deliz

    George Deliz, Oct 5, 2006

  3. j

    Scott W Guest

    And the good news is that you can get a cheap Canon DSLR and still
    use your lenses.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 5, 2006
  4. j

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Hasselblad just announced the H3D and some new lenses. It has a
    36x48mm sensor (your choice of 22mp or 39mp) and I suppose the sensor
    size starts the APS-C war all over again. Eventually I suppose there
    will be a "full frame" digital Hassy with a 6x6 cm sensor (actually
    a little smaller I think, to be the same size as a film frame).

    Paul Rubin, Oct 5, 2006
  5. At twice the size of FF 35mm, that's actually a reasonable sized sensor.
    With the 35mm lens, it gives roughly a 24mm FOV, which ain't bad, but ain't
    particularly wide. (There's a new lens that may get down to a 20mm FOV, I
    think.)

    (You may not be aware that the H-series Hasselblads are Fuji manufactured
    645, not 6x6 cameras. FWIW, with film, 645 is 42 x 56mm, 6x6 is 56 x 56mm,
    and 6x7 is 56 x 70mm)

    But that camera is insanely expensive even without the back, and some of
    those backs don't have an AA filter, which is completely nuts in a Bayer
    sensor, especially considering that it turns out that MF lenses, even the
    poor ones are just as sharp or shaper than Canon/Nikon 35mm lenses. And Fuji
    makes some of the sharpest lenses around. (The ultra-cheap Fuji GS645S lens
    is flipping amazing in terms of sharpness, although the bokeh is seriously
    ugly.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 5, 2006
  6. j

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I'm way behind the times, I thought Hassys were all 6x6cm made in
    Sweden. I guess I'm not surprised.

    Paul Rubin, Oct 5, 2006
  7. This article is worth a read......................
    http://photo.net/learn/optics/digitaloptics/

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 5, 2006
  8. j

    Bill Funk Guest

    Thanks!

    Bill Funk, Oct 5, 2006
  9. j

    George Deliz Guest

    Well, actually no. The lenses for the EF and A1 are the old manual focus
    FD lenses. The EF camera was Canon's first auto exposure camera and the
    A1 came along a few years later.
    I now use a Rebel XT and 5D and have four lenses, one of which is for
    the cropped cameras only.
    George Deliz

    George Deliz, Oct 6, 2006
  10. j

    Scott W Guest

    Ah, my mistake, I thought the EF took the newer lenses.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 6, 2006
  11. j

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, David:

    Very interesting. Doesn't your turntable have an adjustable tone arm, to
    help prevent such rapid damage?

    Or, perhaps, did Sigma branch out into audio equipment, when nobody was
    looking? :-D

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 6, 2006
  12. j

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, George:

    There's no need to spend thousands of dollars, simply to fully enjoy
    vinyl records. As an example, I bought a brand-new Fisher MT-275
    direct-drive phonograph, for about $70, in 1991.

    It's big, heavy and well made. Most important of all, of course, I'm
    confident its sound quality could rival the insanely-overpriced device,
    that your "high-end Audio store" is now trying to unload on elitist
    audiophiles. <g>

    The MT-275 is a damned nice machine, regardless!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 6, 2006
  13. j

    Bill Funk Guest

    The very act of playing a vinyl record damages it; the stylus, by
    necessity, presents forces that will scratch the grooves unless the
    whole thing is in a clean room.
    I had a Garrard Zero 100 turntable that minimized the tangental
    tracking forces, but even then, any dust at all would damage the
    groove.
    My solution was to record the album onto tape, and play the tape
    instead of the album. I had a 7 1/2" recorder that was pretty good (I
    don't remember the model), and the albums lasted until our daughter
    discoverd them. :-(

    Bill Funk, Oct 6, 2006
  14. j

    George Kerby Guest

    Hey John,

    No I'm not about to buy something like that! But it was impressive, I admit.
    I mean there were highly visible scratches on the vinyl that went completely
    unheard. The salesman attributed it to the shape of the needle, allowing it
    to play a deeper level in the groove. I'm not am audiophile, so I don't
    know. Perhaps it rest of the equipment was more advanced than my stuff:
    Yamaha P-450 turntable and Sony STRD2020 receiver from mid 80's. I got too
    many cameras/lenses/computers to waste money on. They can keep the damn
    turntable!

    Regards!

    George Kerby, Oct 6, 2006
  15. j

    Frank ess Guest

    I see Costco is offering a turntable with USB output, presumably to
    your choice of formats:
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
    OR
    http://tinyurl.com/j6cbf

    Just like slide and film digitization: more decisions and drudgery.

    Frank ess, Oct 6, 2006
  16. j

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Bill:

    Oh, I agree. I just thought a decent phonograph shouldn't trash a disc,
    after a paltry three playings.

    Incidentlly, back in the 1980's, I vaguely recall hearing of turntables
    which used a laser (or an LED?), instead of a needle. I never looked
    into the issue, but it's obvious that such CD-like technology never
    became prevalent; too bad, as it would've solved the problem of record
    wear.

    Still, as you said, copying onto to tape is a good idea. VHS Hi-Fi decks
    are ideal for this application, as they combine superb audio quality
    with the convenience of cassettes.

    Furthermore, CD's, hard drives, flash memory devices and other storage
    alternatives exist, today.

    Whether any of those can replicate the "warm" sound of vinyl, which some
    audiophiles covet, is a different matter, entirely. :-J

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 7, 2006
  17. j

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, George:

    Yes, in addition to the high-end amplifier and speakers the phonograph
    was probably playing through, it's likely that the store's listing
    rooms (if any) were acoustically optimized. These enhancements aren't
    typically available, to the average audio enthusiast.

    I'm with you, however, and prefer to "waste" my cash on PC/video/photo
    stuff. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 7, 2006
  18. j

    Bill Funk Guest

    I had a friend who had one of those; normally, it worked fine, but on
    those records with the groove off-center (where the head could be seen
    moving from left to right constantly) this one had problems tracking.
    It's been my understanding that this "warmth" is distortion. :-0

    Bill Funk, Oct 7, 2006
  19. j

    g n p Guest

    Whether any of those can replicate the "warm" sound of vinyl, which some

    Any coloration is.

    g n p, Oct 7, 2006