    Doug Robbins Guest

    Spare us the inane trollbait bullshit. Use digital if you like. Use film if
    you like. But STFU with the trolling.

    Doug Robbins, Oct 1, 2006

  2. No, pros don't use Betamax, and never did. They used Betacam. Betamax,
    the consumer format, uses "colour under" recording just like VHS. It
    moves the tape a bit faster than VHS so the quality is just a bit
    higher, but that's all.

    Betacam, the professional format, records three separate signals
    (component colour YCbCr) independently on the tape, with considerably
    better quality than Betamax. The cartridge may look similar, but the
    tape runs 3X or 6X faster (I can't remember which) to get the higher
    quality.

    These days, pros are probably using digital Betacam, not the old analog
    Betacam. But even the old analog Betacam was never the same as Betamax.
    The only thing in common is the word "Beta" in the name.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Oct 1, 2006

  3. ye, like the fact that 3 photo labs in my area have shut down,
    and a photo studio as well.

    I guess people just want to view pics on their TV or monitor instead of
    paying for film + development.

    People using 35mm just dont take as many pics as those using digital.

    Mr.Bolshoyhuy, Oct 1, 2006
  4. Was in Singapore last week.
    Salesman tried to sell me a mechanical automatic watch.
    Selling point: This is the new thing! No need to worry about running out of
    battery power ever!

    Gerrit -Oz

    Gerrit 't Hart, Oct 2, 2006
  5. j

    cjcampbell Guest

    There are still people shooting many other formats that are no longer
    commercially produced by even a single manufacturer. So no format is
    ever completely dead.

    But if you go by what the vast majority of photographers are actually
    buying and using, film died a few years ago.

    cjcampbell, Oct 2, 2006
  6. Wow! 62% drop in film camera sales in 2006, a much
    faster drop than than earlier predicted.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 2, 2006
  7. j

    Scott W Guest

    Yup, kind of hard to imaging anyone wanting to stay in the film camera
    market
    give the rate at which it is dying.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 2, 2006
  8. j

    joe mama Guest

    of course, but you were buying a camera (in most cases) that were built to
    last well past their manufacturers warranty. there were no third-party
    warranty companies back then. even film cameras since the late 80's have
    been getting too reliant on technology.

    digital's selling point now is the newness, the simplicity, and the
    reliability of having a throw away society embracing it. still, once the
    megapixel escalation slows down, and the cameras have become affordable for
    everyone, i "personally" think that even the point and shoot shleps of the
    world are going to remember just how viable film was, and still is.

    the prognostications of film's demise are clemensian....

    joe mama, Oct 2, 2006
  9. j

    Scott W Guest

    You are not trying to suggest that people in any real numbers will ever

    BTW the predictions for this year are a drop in sales of film cameras
    of 62% compared to last year.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 2, 2006
  10. They teach both, but in separate facilites. I suspect that the photography
    students are treated as the poor relations of the Art students, they may
    have to work for a living when they graduate!
    Try E-Bay
    I don't recall a time when Nikon brought out 3 top-level SLR's in the same
    year, granted it's all about marketing these days, but the depreciation
    factor on new cameras will drive photographers back to buying "classical"
    even if old-fashioned equipment if this continues.
    'Fraid I was. Had an F, an F1, and still have my F3, the years between each
    model gave me time to save for the next one!

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 2, 2006
  11. It has always been a sore point that teachers can rapidly loose touch with
    reality, (in all science-based subjects). I am willing to offer my services!
    So would I. Granted, they did give her a brand new Apple Powerbook with
    Photoshop loaded. Perhaps this side of the course is dedicated to
    self-learning?
    I am doing my best to fill in the gaps, but this should not be necessary as
    her real home is 400 miles away in London.

    My point is that if this is the best the Universities can do, what about
    other subjects? It is small wonder that 60% of British graduates do not find
    a job where their degree counts for something for up to 5 years after
    leaving University.

    DP

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 2, 2006
  12. The annoying thing David is that she is a superb "natural" artist, has been
    since the age of 5, and I can only hope that she finds it within herself to
    make use of that talent in her future career.

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 2, 2006
  13. Ah! The slide rule! I have one somewhere. No doubt it will turn up at my
    next house removal!

    I'm so old I can remember my slide rule being confiscated at exam time at
    school!

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 2, 2006
  14. I would interpret that as agreeing that 35mm film is dead, but the larger
    format cameras may make a resurgence, in the same way that vynil records are
    doing at the present time?

    DP

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 2, 2006
  15. If they're pointing her in the direction of the LensWork class of
    photography, she'll have plenty chance to use her talent. I'd be more
    worried if they were teaching digital and neglecting the art.

    (Not that there's anything wrong with digital; it's just that digital is
    only beginning to have any impact on or significance for the art world. A
    good silver B&W print really can be a thing of intense and incredible
    beauty, and digital is still playing catch-up in this area.)

    Of course, the school may be a disaster and a bust, but you haven't given us
    enough information to determine that yet.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 2, 2006
  16. As I recall, the apex of 35mm was the colour slide era. From around 1960 to
    1980 I don't believe I used any color film except positive, process-paid,
    Kodachrome or Agfa.

    Projectors were reasonably-priced and highly sophisticated, and monochrome
    work in the clubs and associations was even more popular, thus usually
    necessitating the use of 2 cameras, a 35mm for slides, and a twin-lens
    Rollei or Hasselblad for black and white.

    Having just re-joined the local club after an absence of 30 years (sailing
    was my obsession), I find that the CD-rom/laptop/digital projector has
    replaced the color slide, and few if any monochrome prints are shown,
    whereas color prints abound on the competition side.

    With color-positive process-paid film in the £10 per-36-exposure price range
    in UK, it is doubtful whether 35mm slide film will ever really make a
    comeback. The alternatives are too cheap and easy. I learned from a sales
    guy at Jesops that Kodachrome is being phased out, leaving only Fuji in that
    market.

    It does seem that once the 30-megapixel affordable digital SLR reaches us,
    that 35mm film, and the associated cameras, will die a death. Pity, since
    those of us who learned our trade on this medium will mourn it's passing,
    but like the valve amplifier and vynil records there will always be a small
    clique who will hang steadfastly to the technology. Remember 8mm cine film?
    I sold a Leicina for £150 on E-Bay recently!

    Film scanners are fetching very good prices at auction, could this be a clue
    to the future?

    Never mind, it is amusing to see a large number of motorists installing
    digital nav systems in their cars so that they can find their way to places
    they used to find their way to without such gadgetry.
    I believe it was called memory or something.

    Since I make a small income designing and fitting digital navigation systems
    to yachts and pleasure craft, perhaps I should keep quiet and just allow the
    tide of progress to wash over me!

    Dennis

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 2, 2006
  17. j

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Actually it was called getting lost and driving around in circles for
    hours. I know from having done that far too many times ;-). I don't
    have a nav system in my car yet, but that's because they don't yet
    make one that I like.

    Paul Rubin, Oct 2, 2006
  18. Dennis Pogson wrote:
    []
    So is the rest of life. Sounds like good preparation!

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 2, 2006
  19. j

    Bill Funk Guest

    You are describing the maturing process of a technology.
    Early adopters should understand this process.

    Bill Funk, Oct 2, 2006
  20. j

    Bill Funk Guest

    What is your definition of a "rediculous price"?
    We live in good times, no?
    What is your evidence for this?
    Oh, sorry to hear that. :)

    Bill Funk, Oct 2, 2006