    think I've ever seen one go so long...

    And are we any the wiser because of it? :)

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jan 18, 2008

  2. Paul Bartram

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Paul Bartram wrote:
    Don't think I've ever seen one go so long... And are we any the wiser
    because of it? :)
    As the actress said to the bishop.

    Paul Heslop, Jan 18, 2008

  3. Paul Bartram

    Podge Guest

    I can't speak for others, but as the initiator of that thread, I have
    certainly learned a great deal from it. There are a lot more issues than
    meet the eye when you ask questions about photography on airlines. Not the
    least of which is the possibility that your camera might become a flying
    missile if it parts company from you if you experience turbulence during
    takeoffs and landings! But there is some good news, even though the airlines
    won't let you use your camcorder or digital camera to take pics during
    takeoffs or landings, Air New Zealand, at least, permits you to use a
    portable shaver at any time during the flight. So if you must fiddle with
    something during takeoffs and landings, you can have a shave.

    http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travelinfo/ontheplane/electronicequipment/default.htm#anytime

    But couldn't a portable shaver also become a flying missile if there is
    turbulence during any part of a flight? Well it seems that, at least Air NZ
    has decided that a portable shaver's electronics won't interfere with
    navigation systems. And some day, I hope they decide that digital cameras
    and camcorders don't emit harmful radiation either. I don't think there have
    been any documented instances yet when the use of digital cameras has been
    found to cause harm to an aircraft's systems, but several posters to the
    thread have pointed out that newer digital cameras can have wifi, GPS etc.
    so everyone seems to be reconciled to the view that we should only take our
    pics about 10 minutes after the flight has started, which means that some of
    the best photographic opportunities will have been missed.

    Anyway, I shouldn't repeat all the issues here, it's best to post your views
    to the main thread so that everyone can see what you think.

    Podge

    Podge, Jan 19, 2008
  4. Paul Bartram

    acl Guest

    Hah, brilliant! I have noticed that many things related to commercial
    flights (airports, airlines, at least some airplane toilets, the kits
    they give you when they lose your luggage etc) seem to place curiously
    high value on shaving. I mean, my beard grows so quickly you can
    practically see it move, yet I've never felt the need to shave in an
    airport, much less in flight (not to mention during takeoff or
    landing!).

    Now that I think about it, this is so bizarre and incongruous that I
    wonder if there's some hidden message there just waiting to be
    decrypted.

    acl, Jan 19, 2008
  5. Paul Bartram

    Podge Guest

    Here's some more inflight shaving
    On the Cathay Pacific web site, it says that:

    "Please note that personal electronic device cannot be plugged into the
    aircraft's electrical power supply outlets.* This includes any type of
    charging devices. An exception is made for portable shavers which may only
    be used in the appropriate sockets in the lavatories."

    http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/helpingyoutravel/electronicdevices

    Podge

    Podge, Jan 25, 2008
    Podge
    AHA!!! So all you need is a portable shaver with a battery slot which
    fits all the types of your rechargables!

    Good to know, ;-)
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Jan 27, 2008
  7. Paul Bartram

    Ron Hunter Guest

    One wonders why such outlets are provided....

    Ron Hunter, Jan 27, 2008
  8. For the same reason that there are still ashtrays to be found, despite
    the practically total ban on smoking aboard. They're a holdover, and
    they'll disappear soon enough as fleets are updated.

    --Gene

    Gene S. Berkowitz, Jan 27, 2008
  9. Paul Bartram

    Guest Guest

    i haven't seen an ashtray on a plane in *years*.

    Guest, Jan 27, 2008
  10. I flew SW a few months back; there was still an ashtray built into the
    lavatory door. With a "No Smoking" sticker above it.

    --Gene

    Gene S. Berkowitz, Jan 28, 2008
  11. Well, the weight of the sticker is negligable, so it doesn't have to be
    recorded.
    If someone were to remove the ashtray than that's not only more work, but
    someone would have to record the change in the airplanes logs and the weight
    and balance of the aircraft would have to be re-calculated.
    Ridiculous? Well, it's those regulations that make air travel as save as it
    is today.

    Compare that to those people who behave like 3 year old toddlers and stomp
    their feet on the ground because they are not allowed to take photos during
    the most critical phases of flight.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 28, 2008
  12. Paul Bartram

    Podge Guest

    If you read the main thread, I was questionning whether the use of digital
    cameras during flight could cause interference to an aircraft's navigation
    systems. I wanted to understand why there should be a ban on digital
    photography during takeoffs and landings. About 720 postings were made in
    that usenet thread, which shows how many issues are involved. People who
    took part in that thread were not "stomping their feet on the ground", they
    were happy to obey the airlines' rules, but they wanted to understand why
    there is a ban on digital photography during critical phases of a flight.
    They also wanted to know whether this ban also applies to the use of older
    film cameras.

    Podge

    Podge, Jan 28, 2008