THE Difference Between Good Quality and Poor Quality Pictures!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by N.E.1., Sep 23, 2003.

  1. N.E.1.

    N.E.1. Guest

    Below is a note I previously tried to post. I originally tried to attach
    the two pictures I mention but since these are not Binaries newsgroups, they
    went nowhere. I am sending this note (but with the pictures attached) to
    alt.binaries.photos.originals so everyone who can *please* go there and
    review the pictures and let me know what you think. Thanks!

    Nathan

    What is the measure of quality between these two picture clips? The one is
    labeled "Splotchy" because that's how it looks (taken with a 3.2MP Pentax
    Optio S), and the other is labeled "Quality" because that's what I want in a
    digital Point and Shoot (taken with a Canon EOS 10D). Does ANYONE make a
    Point and Shoot camera that can output a picture anywhere near that quality
    level? Keep in mind that these pictures have been cropped to make them show
    up as Actual Size on everyone's monitors. Thanks for any clarification
    anyone can provide!

    Nathan

    N.E.1., Sep 23, 2003

  2. "N.E.1." <> wrote in

    > Below is a note I previously tried to post. I originally tried to
    > attach the two pictures I mention but since these are not Binaries
    > newsgroups, they went nowhere. I am sending this note (but with the
    > pictures attached) to alt.binaries.photos.originals so everyone who
    > can *please* go there and review the pictures and let me know what you
    > think. Thanks!
    >
    > Nathan
    >
    > What is the measure of quality between these two picture clips? The
    > one is labeled "Splotchy" because that's how it looks (taken with a
    > 3.2MP Pentax Optio S), and the other is labeled "Quality" because
    > that's what I want in a digital Point and Shoot (taken with a Canon
    > EOS 10D). Does ANYONE make a Point and Shoot camera that can output a
    > picture anywhere near that quality level? Keep in mind that these
    > pictures have been cropped to make them show up as Actual Size on
    > everyone's monitors. Thanks for any clarification anyone can provide!

    Technically, the second picture is gorgeous. Are these details both
    unretouched, direct-from-camera? And are they full-size?

    Constantinople, Sep 23, 2003

  3. "N.E.1." <> wrote in news:FNMbb.10481$iJ.5210
    @nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

    > What is the measure of quality between these two picture clips?

    The main difference seems to be NOISE. Though there might also be a degree
    of difference in fine shading (the first shot seems almost to be posterized
    relative to the second).

    Constantinople, Sep 23, 2003
  4. N.E.1.

    N.E.1. Guest

    Thanks for the kind words! They are both straight from the cameras. I just
    cropped them. I only adjust for brightness levels in my pictures (if
    needed) and these didn't need any tweaking.

    Nathan

    N.E.1., Sep 23, 2003
  5. "N.E.1." <> writes:

    > Below is a note I previously tried to post. I originally tried to attach
    > the two pictures I mention but since these are not Binaries newsgroups, they
    > went nowhere. I am sending this note (but with the pictures attached) to
    > alt.binaries.photos.originals so everyone who can *please* go there and
    > review the pictures and let me know what you think. Thanks!

    I am sorry to say that alt.binaries.photos.originals is not carried by my
    ISP, but alt.binaries.photos.original is -- go figure.

    Phil Stripling, Sep 23, 2003